Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: questions about creature tokens  (Read 1129 times)

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
questions about creature tokens
« on: September 17, 2010, 06:17:31 pm »

Do adding tokens to creatures take effect on saves with a running fortress like adding [LIKES_FIGHTING]. or does it require a new fortress? I added it to the unicorns but the unicorns that where in the area when I loaded the save didn't appear to fight back and instead ran from the hunter.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I couldn't seem to find anything about it from searching.
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
Re: questions about creature tokens
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 06:20:19 pm »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 06:22:12 pm »

Each save folder has its own set of raw files. You need to edit the files pertaining to each world to affect that world, and the ones in raw/objects to affect all subsequently created worlds.

This was implemented so saves could be compatible between modified DF installs without it being necessary to replace the base raws.

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 06:34:04 pm »

Yup i know that and i edit them for that save but I have yet to see it take effect. the problem is my embark is half evil but nothing undead ever spawns and i figured if i made some of the larger wildlife like elephants, unicorns, and gorillas become more hostile it would produce more Fun.

lol great picture by the way thats pretty much want i want to see half the time.

would adding the [EVIL] token to their raws cause them to also spawn in the evil area and have a chance to turn undead? because as it is now the only thing ever spawning are the normal variants of the animals and no undead getting taken into account. if I add [EVIL] would the game identify that creature as not only spawn able in evil areas but actually make them evil as well or would I also have to add [LIKES_FIGHTING]?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:51:34 pm by Kregoth »
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 06:57:44 pm »

Oh, I forgot: Unicorns are BENIGN, which has an effect similar to that of LIKES_FIGHTING, except in reverse (SAVAGE naturally works the opposite way, that is, it has a similar effect to LIKES_FIGHTING on its own). So that might be part of the issue.

I don't think GOOD and EVIL do anything other than make them spawn in the appropriate areas. On that note, I'm fairly sure GOOD and EVIL are inclusive (you can have both tokens and the creature will show up in both areas) while BENIGN and SAVAGE are exclusive (you can still have, say, EVIL and SAVAGE at the same time, but not BENIGN and SAVAGE. At least, not usefully).

Regardless, adding the GOOD/EVIL/BENIGN/SAVAGE token(s) to creatures after you've generated a world won't have any effect on their spawning as the populations have already been generated in the appropriate regions.

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 07:30:13 pm »

Ok so I should just add [LIKES_FIGHTING] to the creatures I want to act more aggressively? bah I wish there was just an undead token make things much easier in fixing this whole no undead thing even though I am in a part terrifying biome. or does that mean the the [LIKES_FIGHTING] wont wort either sense there populations have already been generated?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 07:33:07 pm »

LIKES_FIGHTING should work on already-generated creatures.

I guess you could manually make things undead using Runesmith or something if you really wanted to.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 07:35:27 pm »

you have to remove benign and add likes_fighting, and maybe large_predator for bonus points.
Nom nom nom

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 07:52:50 pm »

LIKES_FIGHTING should work on already-generated creatures.

I guess you could manually make things undead using Runesmith or something if you really wanted to.
Yes unfortunately this is a succession game and thus that wouldn't be an option lol. I will test it out see if some of them spawn and attack the hunter dwarf killing unicorns like they are nothing.

you have to remove benign and add likes_fighting, and maybe large_predator for bonus points.

ya i was thinking of adding that to the unicorn and guerrillas but have the elephants just have likes_fighting. so I am guessing the benign was what made them not attack even though i added Likes_fighting.

edit: Well I tested it out and when some new elephants spawned they did what they always do turn tail and run. and the unicorns that where already there when the save was loaded did the same even though i added predator and took out benign.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:13:28 pm by Kregoth »