Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: For want of a steel mechanism...  (Read 3381 times)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: For want of a steel mechanism...
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 06:26:00 pm »

speaking of which, how the hell do the dwarves smelt steel(and apparently iron)?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 07:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>speaking of which, how the hell do the dwarves smelt steel(and apparently iron)?</STRONG>

Quite.  And given that they have some way to generate temperatures hotter than magma, why can't they smelt titanium?

0x517A5D

RubberDuckofDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 07:29:00 pm »

If I remember correctly, magma's temperature was toned down to a rather low 1300-1400 Fahrenheit because it would otherwise vaporize a person sitting at a magma forge.

Which is realistic, but would be kind of annoying.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 09:39:00 pm »

Blast furnaces, perhaps?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 10:17:00 pm »

A blast furnace wouldn't heat magma.  Forcing air through magma would quickly cool it into, probably, basalt.  (Definately not obsidian.)

Edit: as we are blowing air through the magma, we probably would foam the resulting rock, resulting in pumice.

[ November 22, 2007: Message edited by: 0x517A5D ]

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 03:36:00 am »

A hot plate? Magma flows under a sheet of metal (Presumably steel) and the magma/lava makes the sheet hot enough to be able to smelt ore and forge weapons.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2007, 08:25:00 am »

I never even dreamed of using iron. Thanks for the heads-up!
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007, 02:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Bien:
<STRONG>A hot plate? Magma flows under a sheet of metal (Presumably steel) and the magma/lava makes the sheet hot enough to be able to smelt ore and forge weapons.</STRONG>
Sounds like the sheet couldn't get any hotter than the magma or else it'd pass the heat back and forth until the sheet melted or the world ended because you generated more energy out of nothing.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 02:18:00 pm »

Interestingly enough, Platinum seems to have an even higher melting point than Steel or Iron; since Native Platinum is more common than Bauxite and isn't useful for weapons and armor as Steel, Native Platinum Mechanisms might currently be the most sensible choice for operating magma floodgates.

(I would imagine they would also fetch quite a decent price in trades, although Native Platinum Goblets still probably make a more sensible trade good.)

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2007, 10:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Arkose:
<STRONG>(I would imagine they would also fetch quite a decent price in trades, although Native Platinum Goblets still probably make a more sensible trade good.)</STRONG>

Not sure quite why; as far as I know goblet = 3 from one bar/stone, and 10 base value. Mechanisms = 1 from one stone, and 30 base value. Same base value, except a mechanism only needs to be hauled once. Three goblets need three hauling tasks to get it to the trade depot.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2007, 12:10:00 pm »

How many mechanisms can you fit into one bin?  ;)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ParrotPatrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2007, 12:32:00 pm »

Yes, but the goblets weigh a fraction of the mechs. You could fit dozens more goblets. And if you are hauling goblets that aren't in a bin, you are doing something wrong.
Mechs don't go in bins.

[ November 24, 2007: Message edited by: ParrotPatrol ]

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2007, 01:01:00 am »

Well, unfortunately, you can't make iron mechanisms either, and hematite/magnetite have default boiling points-- ie, they'll melt just as fast as rock salt.

Fun to look through the raws though.  Did you know that the cluster-forming magnetite has both a relatively low density and a good value?  I'll consider using it once I mine out a few more clusters.  Or that mica has an extremely low density?  Good for generic doors, floodgates, and mechanisms-- easier to haul.

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

N35t0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 01:37:00 pm »

lol mica tables LOL

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »