Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: For want of a steel mechanism...  (Read 3382 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
For want of a steel mechanism...
« on: November 02, 2007, 11:36:00 am »

Concise summary: Without the ability to build steel mechanisms, steel floodgates malfunction after 30-60 seconds of being submerged in magma.

I built a steel floodgate and attached an obsidian mechanism to it to make it controllable with a lever. When I opened it, magma poured in and the floodgate did not melt, but after a while the mechanism disappeared (presumably it melted), and the floodgate took the appearance of a closed floodgate, but the magma continued to pour through it. The lever no longer affected it (as expected, since the mechanism was gone)

I had intended to put a steel mechanism on it, but couldn't find any way to make one in a forge.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: For want of a steel mechanism...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 07:53:00 pm »

I don't like that the magma continued to pour through it when it was closed...  Could it have been the floodgate item if the building collapsed?  Or was it still a building?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 08:33:00 am »

Hmm, you're right, it is just the floodgate item without a floodgate building now. I wonder why it collapsed?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 08:21:00 pm »

I think if a building loses any item it'll collapse, even if it's a mechanism tacked on there.  I'll probably handle it with metal mechanisms, and maybe also allow bulidings that lose their mechanisms to stay intact.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 03:35:00 pm »

Did you try bauxite mechanisms? Bauxite is the only stone defined as having a high melting temperature in the raws.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 10:09:00 pm »

I didn't have any bauxite, but I'll keep that in mind in case I find some sometime in the future.

theubie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 03:13:00 pm »

FWIW:  Bauxite does indeed resist magma's ravages.  Bauxite flood gates and mechanisms continue to work in magma, and bauxite stone will not melt if left/dropped in it.  

The trick is finding it.  I tried 40+ map squares with sedimentary layers and not a single piece.  Finally broke down and edited the raw to put it in every layer just so I could test.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by theubie:
<STRONG>FWIW:  Bauxite does indeed resist magma's ravages.  Bauxite flood gates and mechanisms continue to work in magma, and bauxite stone will not melt if left/dropped in it.  

The trick is finding it.  I tried 40+ map squares with sedimentary layers and not a single piece.  Finally broke down and edited the raw to put it in every layer just so I could test.</STRONG>

It'd get ridiculously expensive, but on maps with it, raw adamantine used as a stone seems like it ought to work too.

On the plus side, if for that very reason you don't have a magma smelting operation set up, raw adamantine is worth 250x material value (pure adamantine is 300x) and mechanisms are worth 30 each, so you'd be able to buy caravans with a single raw adamantine gear.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

theubie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 04:58:00 am »

Now if we could just get Lava to refill...I'd use raw addy to create complex lava traps!    :D

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 11:18:00 am »

Maybe modify the infinite water generator?

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 11:21:00 am »

I wonder if people have noticed that Iron has a higher melting point than Steel, both in game and in real life.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 01:20:00 pm »

obsidian mechanisms seem to work for me ...
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

I tried obsidian mechanisms in a steel floodgate in 33a, and after a minute or two, the mechanism melted and the floodgate was magically deconstructed.

I also tested an obsidian floodgate.

The thing is that they will work fine so long as the floodgate is closed. The temperature of a tile with magma in it is much much higher than the temperature of a tile which is only adjacent to magma.

[ November 22, 2007: Message edited by: Shadowlord ]

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 04:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AlanL:
<STRONG>I wonder if people have noticed that Iron has a higher melting point than Steel, both in game and in real life.</STRONG>

Does that imply iron doesn't melt in magma?

Reality is for people who lack imagination

atomicoctobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 04:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Core Xii:
<STRONG>

Does that imply iron doesn't melt in magma?</STRONG>

The Wiki identifies it as "magma proof".

Pages: [1] 2 3