Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soldiers Pursuing  (Read 571 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soldiers Pursuing
« on: September 17, 2010, 05:23:20 pm »

The previous version had an option to keep your soldiers close to their station, or give chase.  Does the current version have anything like that?  My soldiers are chasing the enemy halfway across the map.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Soldiers Pursuing
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 05:30:09 pm »

I haven't found one yet...  :-\
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 05:57:46 pm »

If they are not under an active military alert, canceling the kill/station order should force them to change to their civilian jobs.  At that point they should stop the pursuit (and possibly do other stupid things like drop their axes if they're woodcutters, too).  I would love to have a "disengage" command for my troops or something along those lines.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 06:26:55 pm »

It has been my experience that once a dwarf is focused on attacking something it stays in combat until that thing is dead or the dwarf himself is dead, disregarding any alert statuses etc.  Then again, I try to avoid using the military and rely on traps and fancy contraptions for defense of my forts, so don't have a huge amount of experience with combat.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 06:55:40 pm »

I know what you mean cause I've experienced the same.  Though in my latest fort (.12), I have had instances where I'd have my two axelords rush out idiotically at a herd of skeletal elephants and canceling the "station" order changed their icons to civilians promptly followed by "Cancels something: interrupted by skeletal elephant."  At that point he distanced himself away from the creatures until they passed and I ushered him safely into the fort.  I've used this trick on several occasions, so it's worth trying.  Of course if you have an active military alert and you cancel the order, they will not revert to a civilian job and will continue chasing whatever it was they were chasing.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 07:15:51 pm »

Turn the squad back into civilians by putting them to inactive. They will behave as civilians and run away from everything hostile.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 07:41:28 pm »

Turn the squad back into civilians by putting them to inactive. They will behave as civilians and run away from everything hostile.

This works but then my dwarves inevitably run away from the fort towards more enemies, just like ordinary civilians always do.  A "cancel pursuit/return to station" option would be lovely.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 09:23:14 pm »

You need to make a suitable borrow and place all military you want to stay near as active inside that burrow.

Don't forget to include weapons/armor storage in the burrow :)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 02:32:05 am »

This works but then my dwarves inevitably run away from the fort towards more enemies, just like ordinary civilians always do.  A "cancel pursuit/return to station" option would be lovely.

The dwarf still has his weapons, armor, and combat skills. If cornered he should be able to handle himself just fine, though as a civilian he will attempt to flee from enemies rather than fight, but will fight if he can't flee anymore.