Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilizations missing?  (Read 648 times)

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
  • Diabeetus makes you sleepy.
    • View Profile
Civilizations missing?
« on: September 17, 2010, 03:21:18 pm »

I've been lurking for a while, and I've seen people mention or hint about civilizations failing to exist upon embark, but I had a few questions.

I'm on a world-gen right now where I shifted things to get a bit more volcanism. I didn't mess with anything to do with the civilizations that should exist, and yet, I'm on my third embark with no civilizations other than an unnamed amphibian-man civ. First embark was on an island, but since then I've embarked on almost opposite sides of the map, just to see if I could find the dwarven civ and still no luck. Since it kind of sucks to never get migrants or caravans, I was wondering if my whole world was shot and whether or not I should just regen, and if this is common... This is my first world-gen since I've upgraded to .13, so I'm also wondering if this is some kind of bug in .13.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilizations missing?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 03:22:55 pm »

Everybody died.

Your group of dwarves is the only group of sentient tool-users anywhere on the planet.

Embrace your isolation.

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 03:39:04 pm »

Everybody died.

Your group of dwarves is the only group of sentient tool-users anywhere on the planet.

Embrace your isolation.

On my first embark, that's exactly what I did. A small volcanic island surrounded by a terrifying sea that occasionally launched zombie sharks and whales and marlins out on the shore. The place was awesome except for it taking YEARS for my population to grow from 4 to about 15. Tons of minerals, everything I could want except for fuel, so steel was a little inconvenient. My Expedition Leader ended up having 25 kids by the end of it all. Sadly, the fort tantrum spiraled when she was dodged off of a ledge in one of the caverns fighting a forgotten beast and all of her kids flipped out and murdered one another.

So I'm guessing there's nothing else to do but gen a new world?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:41:37 pm »

If you try and re-embark you should be able to get 7 new dwarves pulled from the giant hole of existence.
Nom nom nom

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 03:52:05 pm »

If you try and re-embark you should be able to get 7 new dwarves pulled from the giant hole of existence.

Yeah, and it works out alright, plus you get two groups of migrants but after that nothing. No caravans and no new migrants.

It doesn't sound too bad unless you lack glass or something, and end up losing 7 dwarfs to fey moods that require glass... :-/

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 05:08:39 pm »

I've been lurking for a while, and I've seen people mention or hint about civilizations failing to exist upon embark, but I had a few questions.

I'm on a world-gen right now where I shifted things to get a bit more volcanism. I didn't mess with anything to do with the civilizations that should exist, and yet, I'm on my third embark with no civilizations other than an unnamed amphibian-man civ. First embark was on an island, but since then I've embarked on almost opposite sides of the map, just to see if I could find the dwarven civ and still no luck. Since it kind of sucks to never get migrants or caravans, I was wondering if my whole world was shot and whether or not I should just regen, and if this is common... This is my first world-gen since I've upgraded to .13, so I'm also wondering if this is some kind of bug in .13.

If you didn't make a copy of the parameters on gen, you can tell if there's a mountainhome on the embark screen.  When you tab to your civ screen, the one you hail from shows up as a blue omega on the far-right world map.  If there's nothing there, well...  your civ is dead and probably not coming back.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7