Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Yet another DF ripoff  (Read 4364 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Yet another DF ripoff
« on: September 17, 2010, 03:09:03 pm »

Wow, this game is the most shameless rip-off of DF I have ever seen.  I mean, it doesn't have fantasy races but it still has archetypes based on them, so you can tell it's pretty serious.

It's a building/economy/war sim that mostly focuses around your peons living in small cities, working at industry and stuff.  There's the "good guys" who are your honest workers, then there's the hippie types who totally lose it if you start cutting down trees, and you've got little annoying ones who just try and sneak up and stab you.  You've also got various animals that your peons can keep as pets, like cats and stuff.  But your cat population can get out of hand REALLY fast, and if you live in an area with elephants, it's quite possible that they'll kill a lot of your guys when they're in a bad mood.  You probably get more guys killed by donkeys and moose though.  Hell almost all the animals are scary.  The combat system makes an attempt at being pretty close to DF's, it seems kind of a ripoff...not only can people get bruised or broken or severed arms, they can take organ damage, although sometimes they can get stabbed in the brain and still survive so whatever.

Building elaborate waterworks for sewers and power generation is actually a pretty big part of the game.  More than anything else it's kind of an architecture sim, because really, how else are you going to measure the awesomeness of your settlement?  So you can build with stone, glass, whatever.  Lots of biomes to choose from.  And much like DF, an economy isn't strictly necessary if you're out in the middle of nowhere, but you start needing one as soon as any nobles show up.  And yeah.  Pretty much all your peons seem to hate the nobles, and vice versa.  Kind of like the old 2D version, there's some nobles who don't even do anything, but still insist on having big houses and stuff.  Unlike DF though, it's possible for your guys to take matters into their own hands, which they do sometimes, but sheriffs or their version of the Hammerer puts that down pretty quick.  And ranged weapons are still ridiculously deadly.

You run into all kinds of bad stuff when you dig, too.  Like, right now my message log is telling me that there was a big mine collapse and I have to get my guys out somehow.  And sometimes when you dig, you unleash stuff that you really shouldn't have, and then it gets out and wrecks the surrounding landscape.

Anyway, this total ripoff of a game is a roguelike that's just called RL, which isn't very creative but whatever.  Honestly, this game ripoff thing is getting bad enough that Toady should hire a lawyer.  I mean, there's even references to dwarves right there in the game, like sometimes when you get a short peon it'll call them that.  So awful.  And yet I can't stop playing it.  :/
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another DF ripoff
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 03:10:47 pm »

It'll never be as good as DF. The economy is crap and the political system is ridiculous. Whoever made this has a lot of work to do before he gets anywhere near DF in terms of entertainment value.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 03:12:43 pm »

Seriously. That game's politics are completely unrealistic. People get elected to fuck others over, rather than just appointing themselves or being from noble descent?

PvP also sucks. I wish there was a hammerer; that way others might be compelled to not do crime and do their work, rather than living off the rest of the players.

Shit game.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:15:53 pm »

Can someone explain the joke to me?  You're all being way too subtle

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 03:16:11 pm »

It doesn't just rip off DF, either. Totally steals concepts from almost every single genre; you know Modern Warfare? Well it has that, except no respawns. Wtf. That's supposed to be fun?
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 03:18:14 pm »

This joke is like Dick Clark, it never gets old.
Shoes...

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 03:20:18 pm »

Wow, what a shit game. I guess the only way to win is not to play.....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 03:21:21 pm »

This joke is like Dick Clark, it never gets old.

If only it was limited to being wheeled out once a year.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 03:26:52 pm »

I don't know.  Every day I see a new reason why some posters need to be reminded.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 03:32:34 pm »

So we need a third thread to trot out the desiccated skeleton of the "real life is a sucky game" joke?
Shoes...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 03:36:10 pm »

No, we need a thread telling people to shut up about "X game is a ripoff of DF", because DF shares elements with real life itself (as well as a whole bunch of fantasy).

Seriously.  Please.  People.  Just stop.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 03:36:37 pm »

I don't know.  Every day I see a new reason why some posters need to be reminded.
:-[

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 03:37:34 pm »

I saw this thread and thought, oh no, not Sowelu too.

Ninja edit to avoid feeling like a jerk...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 03:40:53 pm »

:-[

Nah, no hard feelings.  :P

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 03:41:18 pm »

I was about to put on my rage-hat when I saw this thread from the main page but when I saw it was Sowelu I knew it was probably a joke.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4