Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Epic artifact is EPIC!  (Read 2862 times)

Eskielidder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Epic artifact is EPIC!
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:32:18 am »

Well one of my little engravers got posesed, no probs, lets see what he wants....stone and cloth. Well that shouldn't be a problem I thought. But he sat in the craft workshop asking for both....and I have plenty of stone and cloth. Turns out he wanted a particular rock that was in my dump pile and forbidden.

Reclaimed a shedload of stone in there...nope still didn't budge. So checked the wiki and it suggested a neat little trick of setting a burrow for that one dwarf on the dump pile, and boy did that get him moving. He spent ages bring rock back into workshop, thought it was a bit strange that he needed 50+ bits of stone. Finally realised I should remove the burrow, yup off he went got a bit of cloth and made.... A gold Amulet.

Pfft I thought....until I read the description!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yup thats a 5 page desription of the artifact, worth a cool 288000 dwarfbucks!!!!

so now I'm in a terrifying desert
a nightwing killed 3 of my starting 7 but things are looking up now

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Epic artifact is EPIC!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 09:34:02 am »

That.... Is quite epic indeed.  :D

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:34:56 am »

Wow...It's like an amulet planepacked!

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:35:23 am »

Wow... that's... that's a lot of cheapass rock to get a value like that... and easily the longest description I have ever seen. It's like an Aztec calendar.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 09:37:29 am »

Yep, its a known bug/exploit to force planepackeds with burrows. I kind of wish that ultraartifacts like this had a low but nonzero chance of occurring normally though.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 09:39:01 am »

And at *least* 3 pictures of itself on itself.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 09:47:47 am »

And at *least* 3 pictures of itself on itself.
I wonder if each subsequent picture included the previous one, or if that's just it describing three recursive layers....

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 09:59:54 am »

I just read up on this burrow bug thing. I think next time I have an advanced fort and get a mood looking for gems I'm going to try this, see if I can get all X hundred gems encrusted into a single object. It'd also be a good way to eat up excess cloth and silver. Is it exploiting to do it intentionally? Probably, but I can reliably get a fortress over 10mil wealth, and I'd be trying it at a point already well past any significant benchmarks as far as gameplay is concerned.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 10:13:26 am »

I just read up on this burrow bug thing. I think next time I have an advanced fort and get a mood looking for gems I'm going to try this, see if I can get all X hundred gems encrusted into a single object. It'd also be a good way to eat up excess cloth and silver. Is it exploiting to do it intentionally? Probably, but I can reliably get a fortress over 10mil wealth, and I'd be trying it at a point already well past any significant benchmarks as far as gameplay is concerned.

So you plan to create uber planepacked?

Make sure it's a weaponsmith. 10 million dwarfbuck sword, anyone?

Halykan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 10:18:42 am »

Are you sure you'd want to? You never know what might happen if it's an artifact that isn't securely locked away inside your fortress.

Though it would be hilarious to see the number of kobolds that would swarm your fortress if any of them actually managed to make off with a 10M+ valued artifact. Honestly I think it's worth doing this exploit now just for that.
If you don't remember whether the lever will collapse half the fortress, flood it with magma, flood it with water, flood it with water THEN magma, or kill the invaders, you pull it and hope you take the god damned goblins down with you
clicky

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 10:23:15 am »

If I point him at my adamantine pile think I could break 1,000,000,000? Masterwork adamantine weapons are already hundreds of thousands of dwarfbucks. Hell, just drain my entire metals pile. 100 adamantine, 200 silver, 170 gold, 150 iron, 200 steel, and god knows how much nickel, tin, copper, and lead, plus whatever pig iron is in transit to steel and any bismuth bronze or rose gold bars I've bought from the traders because, whatever, you know? Gotta trade those crafts for something other than food and wood. Actually, if I planned for it and continued producing wood and stone goods primarily and just stockpiled metal I could easily break 500+ each silver/gold/steel. It'd take a couple years to move all the bars and probably a decade to craft the thing, but hot damn.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 10:26:49 am »

Though it would be hilarious to see the number of kobolds that would swarm your fortress if any of them actually managed to make off with a 10M+ valued artifact. Honestly I think it's worth doing this exploit now just for that.
First lock the crafter in his own gold-plated masterwork burrow.

Second create a stockpile outside the fortress walls with just the item in it.

Just have to make sure it's not a map with macaques.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 10:38:41 am »

On the contrary, any kobold who makes off with it will be killed for it, the killer would be murdered for getting that artifact, and soon a civil war will break out. Goblins will join almost immediatly, later humans, dwarves and elves. Too bad that your outpost will be long dead by then, destroyed by tantruming creator (who is a tiny bit angry) of aforementioned artifact.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 10:40:41 am »

I suggest putting it in a 4x4 room of fortifications, make sure that it is completely blocked off so no filth will run off with it.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 10:52:35 am »

Are you sure you'd want to? You never know what might happen if it's an artifact that isn't securely locked away inside your fortress.

You get something that valuable there's nothing to do but put it in its own room with traps in the entrance hallway, a permanent garrison of your best soldiers, a zoo of every animal you can get, and war elephants.

Edit: and just for good measure, set the whole room to collapse into lava if someone DOES manage to get to the artifact.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.
Pages: [1] 2