Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: couple of strange probelms  (Read 524 times)

dpg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
couple of strange probelms
« on: September 17, 2010, 03:16:02 am »

Hi, first post. I allready read a lot and have to say, great community and fantastic game.
I played about 30 - 40 hours now.

I started 3 fortresses but since a lot of the action starts later in game I decided to stop starting new ones and stick with one.

Well the one I chose now is kind of strange. There are a couple of problems wich I just can't get solved.
The Fort is in a mountain area with scarce vegetation (but a couple Trees on the southern quarter since I chose to chip into that biome), the northern part is pretty much only stone wich pratically zero soil. (it's cold but the brook isn't frozen the whole year)

1. My refuse stockpile stays totally empty. There is not ONE single item/corpse on there. That can't be right? I have a lot of cats, I butchered a couple animals and at least SOME vermin would have found it's way into my fort... at least that's what I think. My dwarfs have refuse hauling enabled (not all of them but at least 70%)

2. My Butchery is a complete mess and totally cluttered. The meat was brought away and stored inside, the refuse Pile right next to it was again completely ignored and all the skulls, bones, hairs and crap stays inside the butchery no matter what. This is unnerving. How do I get that stuff out of there? I have a designated butcher as well as an animal dissector. I also built a kitchen just in case. Any Ideas?

3. Immigrants! My Fort has a lot of room, a relatively high wealth and is over all very inviting (a legendary engraver is going about his business, first smoothing, now engraving the living quarters). The first wave consited of 4 dwarfs. The second wave consited of 3 dwarfs if I remember correctly. The third wave consisted of 21 Dwarfs. Since then I had not a single wave of immigrants, 2 or 3 times the message "Your fort attracted no Immigrants this season" popped up.

Apart from that I'm pretty happy with my fort. Since there is no miasma I guess there just isn't any stuff that's rotting... so it can't be any forbidden garbage dump I forgot about.

cheers
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:19:19 am by dpg »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: couple of strange probelms
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 03:33:29 am »

1. My refuse stockpile stays totally empty. There is not ONE single item/corpse on there. That can't be right? I have a lot of cats, I butchered a couple animals and at least SOME vermin would have found it's way into my fort... at least that's what I think. My dwarfs have refuse hauling enabled (not all of them but at least 70%)
Check if you have 'dwarves gather refuse outside' off. It defaults to off so your dwarves don't run outside for every single animal that happens to die. (o -> r -> o)

2. My Butchery is a complete mess and totally cluttered. The meat was brought away and stored inside, the refuse Pile right next to it was again completely ignored and all the skulls, bones, hairs and crap stays inside the butchery no matter what. This is unnerving. How do I get that stuff out of there? I have a designated butcher as well as an animal dissector. I also built a kitchen just in case. Any Ideas?
See 1. If the butchery is outside and outside refuse gathering is off, they will never ever touch the stuff.

3. Immigrants! My Fort has a lot of room, a relatively high wealth and is over all very inviting (a legendary engraver is going about his business, first smoothing, now engraving the living quarters). The first wave consited of 4 dwarfs. The second wave consited of 3 dwarfs if I remember correctly. The third wave consisted of 21 Dwarfs. Since then I had not a single wave of immigrants, 2 or 3 times the message "Your fort attracted no Immigrants this season" popped up.
Several possibilities here, but since you only got 3 waves you may want to check if your dwarf civilization died out in the world generation. If so, you will never get any more immigrants and will have to grow your population through breeding.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 03:37:38 am »

Several possibilities here, but since you only got 3 waves you may want to check if your dwarf civilization died out in the world generation. If so, you will never get any more immigrants and will have to grow your population through breeding.
[/quote]

Try exporting loads and loads of crafts out. I find that makes people come running to you.

dpg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 04:19:20 am »

"outside refuse gathering" THIS will solve my Problem. I didn't touch that option so it's still on default. Thank you.

As for export and population. There are Dwarfs, Humans and Elves. (Caravans)
I do a lot of trade and buy pretty much everything. I started stonecrafting very early and allways have a shitton of stuff to trade. I usually pass on the fancy stuff like rare wood barrels for 2-5k .. but apart from that I usually go nuts.
I even keep the elves friendly, suckers prohibited chopping down trees to 120 a year. ;)

Next thing will be military... hooray.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 04:39:46 am »

Glad I could help with one of your issues anyway. :)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 05:00:08 am »

Let me guess: you've not hit your 3rd spring yet? It's only in the first year that you get guaranteed immigrants in summer and autumn. After that, you only get immigrants in spring. It's possible to get immigrants in other seasons still but it's very rare after the first year.

By the way, be prepared to step up from the stonecrafting industry. The trade caravans will bring more and more in response to you exporting more and more.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

dpg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 06:23:43 am »

Let me guess: you've not hit your 3rd spring yet? It's only in the first year that you get guaranteed immigrants in summer and autumn. After that, you only get immigrants in spring. It's possible to get immigrants in other seasons still but it's very rare after the first year.

By the way, be prepared to step up from the stonecrafting industry. The trade caravans will bring more and more in response to you exporting more and more.

Hm. That's possible. I kinda lose track of time passing since I usually do a lot of research during the game and a lot of micromanagement. So it seems longer than it probably is.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 06:36:43 am »

Press 'z' to get the status screen. This will now give you the date in the game (in dwarf calendar months). The year stamp should tell you whether you're in your 2nd or 3rd year.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 06:53:19 am »

Hm. That's possible. I kinda lose track of time passing since I usually do a lot of research during the game and a lot of micromanagement. So it seems longer than it probably is.
Once you've "settled in", you can pretty much let the game run and only pause when you actually need to do something.  Important events generally auto-pause the game, so you won't have to worry about anything bad happening while things are unattended.  So long as your dwarves have food and booze, you'll be fine.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."