Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to order dwarves inside in .12  (Read 918 times)

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to order dwarves inside in .12
« on: September 17, 2010, 12:48:46 am »

First siege has shown up, and while I have a military that can handle them I would prefer to let the traps go first. My primary problem is that as the traps fill idiot dwarves rush into combat to switch cages or haul back prisoners. I couldn't find a stay inside command in orders, and I know I could just make a burrow and assign the dwarves to it, but I would really prefer to not sit there and manually add 81 dwaves to a burrow. Is there an easier way to keep the retards inside while the grown ups handle things?
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to order dwarves inside in .12
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 12:53:56 am »

In the Military window, there is a section called "Alerts".  For any given alert, you can restrict your dwarves to a certain set of burrows.  You can then also set which alert is the "civilian" alert.

Make a Burrow that encompasses your whole fortress (or at least the important parts of it) called "Safe Zone", then create an alert called "Hunker Down" which uses the "Safe Zone" as its burrow.  When the enemy comes knocking on your door, simply switch your civilian alert from "Inactive" to "Hunker Down".

(change the names to whatever is suitable for your tastes)
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: How to order dwarves inside in .12
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 12:58:00 am »

That's twice tonight I've been ninja'd. ><

If you don't want to mess around with configuring new alerts, you can just select a burrow in the default alert and then un-select it after the danger has passed.