Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bed fix  (Read 1857 times)

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bed fix
« on: September 17, 2010, 12:46:49 am »

Who else would like it if Toady made a quick patch to 30.12 that JUST fixed the bedding issue, and didn't have anything else?  Hell, I'd take a copy/pastable code set that I can put in somewhere, that issue is the only one that bugs me while I'm playing.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bed fix
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 12:48:11 am »

just wait for 31.14, any annoying bugs of .13 will be ironed out.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 01:04:15 am »

So I guess the superstitions about "odd-numbered" releases are not entirely unfounded?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 01:30:03 am »

So I guess the superstitions about "odd-numbered" releases are not entirely unfounded?

Yeah, especially when a significant new fundamental component is included in the release.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 01:31:56 am »

Nope, not unfounded.  A lot of groups use odd numbers releases to test the new stuff, and the even numbers "fix" what the odd numbered ones broke.  It kind of makes sense, if you think about it.  Most of the time software creation is going to be "Now lets add this!" (creates odd numbered version) "... oops ... need to fix that." (creates even numbered version).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 01:34:25 am »

The fact that it's even/odd was probably originally emergent behavior, since right after you break something, you want to fix it.  The pattern would stop though I suppose if one "fix" didn't fix enough stuff well enough.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 02:24:53 am »

The fact that it's even/odd was probably originally emergent behavior, since right after you break something, you want to fix it.  The pattern would stop though I suppose if one "fix" didn't fix enough stuff well enough.

Nonsense, that's where you get things like version b, c, d, etc.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 02:59:06 am »

But there's the human element. If the release version aren't strictly ticking up at set values you might son find the programmers just skipping odd numbers as they kept fixing bugs, what with them having decided that even numbers are for bug fixing.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 03:54:47 am »

Well, IPV releases are always odd numbered if experimental. (IPV4, we use currently, IPV5, was experimental, IPV6 is the one we will use in 5 years). MIG aircraft are always even numbered for fighters and odd numbered for trainers and experimentals. It's a common thing to do.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 04:10:06 am »

Bugs are odd things indeed.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 10:02:47 am »

What I want to know, is why is dwarves crashing wherever when they are tired such a 'game breaker' for so many?  I mean, it is not like they are getting any major bad thoughts from it, and they are still sleeping, I don't see how this bug really effects the everyday workings of a fort.  The only real 'reasons' I can think of are all purely OCD reasons, and nothing I can think of make it a 'game breaker'...  So what if a dwarf is sleeping in the mayors room, the mayor can(and probably will) sleep somewhere else.  Oh no, there is a dwarf sleeping in the hospital instead of the dorm!  So what, if your hospitals capacity is such that the odd dwarf grabbing some Z's in it, then maybe you need more beds in the hospital in the first place?  I dunno, sorry for the rant, it just seems to me that people are making the sleeping bug into something a lot more than it really is...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 10:09:16 am »

Am I correct in thinking the The Rapist development has halted, and unless somebody jumps in, .3.12 is the last version that it shall work with ? If so, then I suspect a large amount of people will not hurridly jump towards .3.13 or and subsequent releases.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 10:09:21 am »

You can't play DF and _not_ be OCD...can you? *twitches*

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 10:57:02 am »

why is it that toady seems incapable of adding anything without breaking something else?
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 11:00:27 am »

Well, IPV releases are always odd numbered if experimental. (IPV4, we use currently, IPV5, was experimental, IPV6 is the one we will use in 5 years). MIG aircraft are always even numbered for fighters and odd numbered for trainers and experimentals. It's a common thing to do.

Like the MiG 19, 21, 23 and 29?  :)
Pages: [1] 2