Réaumur
- 0 (0%)
Rømer
- 0 (0%)
Urist
- 7 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ultimate Tempature Scale Face Off-Titanium Edition-Director's Cut-162nd Annual  (Read 3572 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kelvin is all good and fine, if you spend a lot of time in a lifeless, heatless vacuum... but for those of us who are literally and figuratively more down-to-Earth, Celsius will keep you from all that addition/subtraction nonsense.

That Baron Kelvin may be the boss of vast, empty regions of nothingness, sure... but when you're on Earth, the only absolute is Centigrade.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

A Challenger Appears!

(Play some Super Smash Brothers/Soul Caliber music whenever I do this from now on)

Tarn Adams
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:53:20 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That is indeed the Toad. Despite long hours of DF modding, I still don't know how much a difference of one degree Urist is though... nor how many Urists it takes to fry an egg.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile

That is indeed the Toad. Despite long hours of DF modding, I still don't know how much a difference of one degree Urist is though... nor how many Urists it takes to fry an egg.

Well, here is the conversion table.
 And while there are no eggs in Dwarf Fortress (yet), here's the spec heat table.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Oh crap, I need to change my vote.  Nobody beats Newton.  Period.  Except for Tarn Effing Adams!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

Celsius.  Sure I'm an American and I have used Frakenheit all my life, but seriously, Celsius is easier to remember.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile

I prefer Farenheit because it is a very human scale, ideal for measuring day to day figures. Since the average man only cares if its 40, 78 or 105 degrees outside, its quite practical and precise for discussing the weather.

Otherwise, if we need a scientific measurement just use Kelvin.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

I'm torn between my nationalist loyalty to Celsius and the awesomeness looking of that Rankine guy.
Aaah, screw it, gotta go with the cool beards.

I prefer Farenheit because it is a very human scale, ideal for measuring day to day figures. Since the average man only cares if its 40, 78 or 105 degrees outside, its quite practical and precise for discussing the weather.
You mean, since the same could be said about every other system, that you prefer Farenheit because you're used to it? ;)
Love, scriver~

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile

I voted Kelvin, although I admit that Celsius is more usable for measuring human things. Your puny human things.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Farenheit gets kinda messy pretty quickly though.  I mean, water boils at 212F and freezes at 32F.  The actual initial values Fahrenheit was based on (the coldest substance that could be made in Fahrenheit's lab) and human body temperature (initially intended at 96 degrees, to be 3 times the melting point at 32) are outdated and mismeasured respectively.

Celsius just feels ideal for day to day stuff and chemistry, since it's firmly grounded on fairly basic values.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

First of all, if you're talking about temperature scales, at least have the decency to use Tungsten instead of Titanium, because titanium, while not the worst, can't hold it's weight when it comes to melting points and thermal resistance. (Titanium's pretty cool for other applications though)

Secondly, while celcius and farenheit may be fine scales, almost all calculations concerning heat transfer or reaction speeds go completely out of whack if you use them. Kelvin's much more useful for that. Plus, Lord Kelvin was pretty pivotal in the forming of thermodynamics, which I would dare say is one of the most important theories ever conceived.
My brother is engaged, and even he wants to get into Newton's pants.
There are rumors that Newton may not have been to adverse to such a proposal.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:34:14 pm by Virex »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My brother is engaged, and even he wants to get into Newton's pants.
There are rumors that Newton may not have been to adverse to such a proposal.

Damn it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

You dare question the almighty power of titanium!?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To the mines with him!
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

I laugh at your flimsy bars and raise you Osmium. I may not be able to lift it, but it'll beat your bars in a contest of hardness or durability any time of day!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Oh yes, Osmium. The highly toxic, brittle, impractically dense metal that is only found in minute qualites worldwide. How that absolutely trashes the light, flexable, and strong bio-compatable metal of Titanium, that is only named for the Titans.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 [2] 3