Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: world gen issue with civs  (Read 530 times)

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
world gen issue with civs
« on: September 16, 2010, 10:55:37 pm »

so, i'm running 40d still. hey, i like it. i know it, and i know how everything works in 40d. don't worry, i'll try out the new one soon, ok? until then, help me out with something...

so, i'm genning this world, based on the "perfect world" gen thread (that i can't seem to find anymore). i've changed it a little, i made it über-evil, found this kickass 6x6 start with fun stuff, a pit, and a chasm. sad part is that there's only 2 civs, dorfs and goblins.
what gives? i have the TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER set to 25, and population set to 20000 (that's the max, right?).
so i thought it was too evil, so i reset medium evil to 100, as well as good, and now there's only dorfs. the hell?!

what am i doing wrong? using a slightly less volcanic and more evil gen, i get 7 civs after 200 years. thanks in advance!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*edit* - i've found the original heaven gen.

the changes are:
good/evil values are set to 251/666
volcano min is 3 instead of 50
caves are larger in evil heaven, 5/25 25/50 in original
civ min is set to 20
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:00:34 pm by dieinafire »

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: world gen issue with civs
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 11:58:33 pm »

what am i doing wrong?

Well, for one thing, you have one too many sixes in your Evil Square count for large regions; that's ten times what you intended. At least, that isn't agreeing with your summary of changes after the Gen Info, which I assume is what you intended for the numbers to be.

Too many evil squares reduces the potential starting locations for every civilization besides goblins so either they don't generate to begin with or tend to generate in a suitable region between two other, usually hostile civs. This usually leads to the civs being wiped out early on. A single dwarf civ stuck between two goblin civs isn't going to last long.

Setting Good Square count to maximum has a similar result in that it usually generates nothing but an entire world of elves since elves are the only creatures able to start in good regions. Dwarves need neutral mountain ranges while humans need any flat neutral region.

Remove that last six from the Evil Square count for Large Regions and things should be fine.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 12:10:32 am »

Ninja'd....

I will add that dwarfs always show up in the embark list even if they're extinct. So it's likely that those worlds didn't actually have dwarfs, either.

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:08:35 am »

i appreciate the input. i've lowered the good/evil to 1:100:300 for each, making the world quite benign, yet still only dorf civ is available.

now, i KNOW there are other civs out there, i upped the min_civ to 80, and i still get a good world. as i peruse for a site i see all the cities still there (i stopped history at 25-40). here's what i think, and i can remember reading somewhere, sometime on the forums about it - the other civs cannot path to me. does this sound right? if the caravans can't get to you, then you do not know of the civs.

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 12:23:08 pm »

any thoughts on this? please?