Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves drown themselves when getting water on a down ra  (Read 570 times)

darkfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves drown themselves when getting water on a down ra
« on: November 02, 2007, 11:17:00 am »

I made a nice indoor lake on my freezing level so the dwarves could have a recreational area. Filled it nearly completely with what ground water I had available during my annual 1 week thawing, then designated it as a watering zone.
My dwarves immediately rushed over and drowned themselves. Nearly half of them drowned.
I believe this is because the sides of the lake were slopes and the lake was not completely filled yet. most areas were 4/7 - 5/7. Stupid dwarves.

edit: i filled it BEFORE designating it as a watering zone

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: darkfred ]

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
Re: Dwarves drown themselves when getting water on a down ra
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 11:30:00 am »

My favorite part about bugs like these is that it seems like they're the only time you can get a majority of the dwarves in your fortress to do something.  If there's a workshop to unclutter or blood to clean up, they've always got something better to do.  But a dangerous, monster-infested area to pull a single shoe off a deceased dwarf in, or some cunning new way to drown yourself?  "I'm there!"
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 12:15:00 pm »

Now you can forbid items to prevent that from happening though.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 12:53:00 pm »

Well, I've had a miner drop down into a pool (was trying to mine obsidian between magma and a pool), and he successfully mined out a ramp and fled, despite the pool being almost full.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 01:13:00 pm »

On a semi-related note, I gave all my starting dwarves 10 points in swimming.

And then all the water on the map evaporated by summer 1051 and never came back. (It was a volcano site; It had murky pools full of water when I arrived)

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Shadowlord ]

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 01:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Well, I've had a miner drop down into a pool (was trying to mine obsidian between magma and a pool), and he successfully mined out a ramp and fled, despite the pool being almost full.</STRONG>

Oddly enough, my miners have no problems navigating flooded rooms, but everyone else gets stuck if the ramps/stairs are more than halfway flooded. Apparently picks act as floatation devices.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 01:30:00 pm »

I think they're more of a ballast. Or oars. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India