Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist  (Read 4366 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 03:01:46 am »

i never had the chance to get into therapist does it work well?
I'm using it for a moth or so. It's great! I really thing it should be included into next releases, as a side application, or in-game menu

It just makes much faster to, for example, find who is the most experienced into, say, Farming, and concentrate his work on farming only. Just a few mouse clicks. Without it it would need to scan the most of unit list, check the skills of each, choose one and disable that skill for others.

I hope we'll got the layout for v13 soon.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 03:20:51 am »

I'm sticking with .12 because of the civs splurging everywhere, mainly. The immigrant issues seem annoying as well, so I'll stick with what I have.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 03:29:43 am »

Migrant issues and minable adamantine, though the adamantine is fixable. I'm on a mac so I don't have Therapist, sadly. Very sadly. I used it on my windows partition on my old comp and I loved it so very very much.

This.  I don't see why they don't port it to Mac, I can't imagine it would be all that complicated.  Then again I can't do much more than basic terminal commands so I don't know that much.
One part of the problem with porting it to the Mac is that the guy who developed the program didn't own a Mac. Another would be that he's stopped supporting it and right now it has no owner as far as I know.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 03:38:25 am »

DF cannot be played with DT. I've been waiting for... what, two months? for a new version to come out. What's up, Dwarf Therapist? :(

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 03:46:35 am »

DF cannot be played with DT. I've been waiting for... what, two months? for a new version to come out. What's up, Dwarf Therapist? :(
Look at my post just before yours.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 09:59:34 am »

Has someone taken up DT yet? And can't you update the memory address things to the latest version?

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 10:14:07 am »

I have not upgraded because I am very happy with .3.12. There are no major game changing bugs that affect my fortresses, most of what I want to do is done, and the game plays just fine.

Even if there was a great reason to upgrade, the lack of The Rapist would probably stop me doing so. I cannot imagine playing the game again without it.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 10:21:39 am »

Aye, I refuse to play DF without Therapist.

My hand already hurts from an affliction I've begun to refer to as dwarvern wrist, and more keytapping only makes the problem worse.

Dfhack is incredibly helpful, too. I don't want to spend 5 hours on a fort just to find I have no flux/fuel/adamantine/iron.

Also, dfclean.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 10:22:02 am »

I have not upgraded because I am very happy with .3.12. There are no major game changing bugs that affect my fortresses, most of what I want to do is done, and the game plays just fine.

Even if there was a great reason to upgrade, the lack of The Rapist would probably stop me doing so. I cannot imagine playing the game again without it.

I hope that was a typo.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 11:01:00 am »

I don't know if it works, but someone posted this a while ago.
http://code.google.com/r/jofarrell-dwarftherapistosx/

What does DT do, anyway?
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 11:02:53 am »

It's a mouse-aware spreadsheet like interface for managing dwarf labors, where you can turn on and off individual skills or groups of skills with a small number of mouse clicks instead of many hundreds of keystrokes.

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 11:04:29 am »

I'll throw my hat in with the crowd of "Refuses to play without a working version of TheRapist"

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 02:55:24 pm »

I used Therapist pretty briefly when I first got over 30 dwarfs (thanks to some VERY generous migration waves) in DF2010 and had half of them idle. I absolutely fell in love with it since it made it so easy to figure out who has what skills, and let me deal with all the dwarves who didn't have their best skills enabled right away. I think I can handle the small starting phases just fine, but I definitely need Therapist or some equivalent to do anything ambitious.

I've heard about a program called Dwarf Foreman that does some of the same stuff as Therapist, as well as someone who says he's making a program called Dwarf Overlord. Anyone here know about good alternatives that are still active, and how well they handle?
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 03:10:21 pm »

i never had the chance to get into therapist does it work well?
Armok, yes!

The feature I use most frequently is the fact that you can sort by skill in a certain job.  Suppose I just got a bunch of new immigrants and I want to finally get serious with high-quality weapon-manufacturing, I would do the following:

Sort all dwarves by weapon-making skill.
Look designate the two dwarves at the top of the list to have weapon-making to be active.
Disable weapon-making for all the dabbling idiots who will just waste my steel.

I can't even IMAGINE the amount of effort that would take doing it in-game.  You can also sort by happiness and find out who is vulnerable to tantruming and take preventative measures (give them a pet cow for their haunting moos).

No Dwarf Therapist = No DF for me.  They form an inseperable pair.
Early after I get my forges built I start picking out dwarves who only have any skill in farming type labors and send them each to go make one silver warhammer (which is nice for the early military too) but it would be pretty rough to figure out which ones these were in the standard interface. Very carefully handling migrants and giving them all a custom profession would still make it reasonably doable but again, DT makes it very easy and better fast.

Plus I don't care about quality on the prepared meals so I just enable it on all of that group so somebody will zip over to the shop and start working on it instead of sleeping or eating.

-

More about DT: It shows a row of boxes for each dwarf. If they are novices or such a small black square will be in that box and it gets bigger for each skill level. In addition to toggling these with a click you also have a box that shows how happy they are and tabs that sort out the military and social skills.

By right clicking their names you can set nicknames, profession names, or the most useful feature: set a custom profession. This is a particular set of labors enabled along with a custom profession name so that you can quite rapidly change what many dwarves do. You can highlt several at once and set them all to this same set of labors at once through that menu.

Want virtually everyone to run out to your fields and plant seeds when there is open space but also want the small army to rush out the gate to build whatever constructions and such you designate? DT.

-

DT is the current king of this kind of program. There might has been other good ones way back when but they would have gone inactive during the long 40d period. If I recall Foreman was alright but I like the interface of DT more.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:13:04 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 01:57:19 am »

Just a little heads up, DwarfEngineer has posted an updated version and it seems to work well:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=39229.msg1575229#msg1575229
Pages: 1 [2] 3