Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Food and Dwarves (Not Farming)  (Read 1958 times)

Dr. D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Food and Dwarves (Not Farming)
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:17:24 pm »

Hello

I looked in the search function and did not find anything like this, so here is my suggestion.

Food Allergies:

I think that some dwarves should have some food allergies, ranging from a mild rash from eating whip vine flour to going into a deadly shock from hauling rope reeds products. Perhaps no dwarves have an allergy to underground plants. One could kill nobles this way. If a religious leader had a bad allergy it could cause..

Religious Food Requirements:

When religions get more significant, perhaps they could declare some food unclean, much like Islam and Judaism does in real life. It could range from declaring one plant unclean, to declaring all outside plants unclean, to need a special butcher to make "clean" food. The religions could make exceptions if the dwarf is starving, or be real hard liners. The individual dwarves likes and dislikes could influence what religion they join, such as, "Let's see, I like quarry bush leaves. Do I join the church that declares them unclean or the one that almost reveres them? Choices, choices." How much religious a dwarf is could influence if they eat it or not.

I am sorry for any flame war I cause. This is my first post.
Bombengranadenelementplitzplotzdonnerwettersappermentnochmal!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food and Dwarves (Not Farming)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:45:56 pm »

Huh. Interesting idea. You could perhaps ask the modding community to make something like this for you. Just need some castes immune to all but one allergy, and plant based diseases.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:17:59 pm »

This could work. I think it would add a nice dynamic to the game, when you have to make different foods to keep your dwarfs alive. Allergies are basically your body overreacting to something that it thinks will hurt it, so I guess dwarfs should have them.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:29:35 am »

I think it will cause players to simply kill off dwarfs who are allergic to the forts base food. Or players applying survival of the fittest.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 01:41:11 pm »

I think it will cause players to simply kill off dwarfs who are allergic to the forts base food. Or players applying survival of the fittest.

They already do for similar things.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 03:50:31 pm »

Hello

I looked in the search function and did not find anything like this, so here is my suggestion.

Food Allergies:

I think that some dwarves should have some food allergies, ranging from a mild rash from eating whip vine flour to going into a deadly shock from hauling rope reeds products. Perhaps no dwarves have an allergy to underground plants. One could kill nobles this way. If a religious leader had a bad allergy it could cause..

Isn't this already represented by preferences in food. Just think that dwarves won't aet food they're allergic to unless they have to.

I don't really see how this would make for a more enjoyable game.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 04:01:11 pm »

Hello

Food Allergies:

Isn't this already represented by preferences in food. Just think that dwarves won't aet food they're allergic to unless they have to.

Theres a clear difference between me, not liking something, and me dieing if I eat it. Heck it might make sense to not tell the player if a dwarf is allergic, until they are randomly hospitalized.
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 06:58:58 am »

Perhaps this could be a matter of Dwarfish choice. If a Dwarf is a particularly strong believer in a certain god, perhaps they would be prone to refusing certain foods if considered "unclean", whilst a much looser follower might eat said food in times of hardship or if few food types are available. Of course, if several food types were available in abundance, they could stop eating the food in question.

The religion that springs to mind when I think of this is Sikhism. Many Sikhs do show the 5 Ks on their person ie: long hair, beard, turban etc, while others may not believe that is entirely necessary and choose to cut their hair, following a different lifestyle but still following their religion.

Allergies on the other hand are quite a reasonable problem, and I think would add quite interesting flavour material to our fortresses. What if allergies must be discovered? What of the great Dwarf champion, slayer of a hundred goblins, that died foaming at the mouth after eating the meat of a unicorn, or kobold bulb?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 07:02:08 am by Owlbread »

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 10:02:06 am »

Hello

Food Allergies:

Theres a clear difference between me, not liking something, and me dieing if I eat it. Heck it might make sense to not tell the player if a dwarf is allergic, until they are randomly hospitalized.

I think you meant; something not being my favorite food, and me dieing if I eat it.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 10:57:33 am »

Hello

Food Allergies:

I think you meant; something not being my favorite food, and me dieing if I eat it.

Its the same thing, since we all know the context of what "something" is. Which is a generalization for food. But doesn't matter. If their confused till get it when they read your post.

Anyways, I'm definitely supporting that an allergy wouldn't be known by the dwarf with it. I almost died, by complications of asthma and an unknown allergy to dust mites. Though we should also have a way to, if set up properly, save a dieing dwarf, maybe it could be something related to alchemy when it comes in, and you'd have to make up something to save the dwarf. I don't know how realistic that is, but I'm assuming magic solves the problem/ a wizard did it. Then again, it should be more likely that they have allergies to none dwarf items. Example surface crops, surface wines, animals that aren't native. It's also possible to be allergic to metals, my girlfriend is allergic to gold, and she cant wear gold jewelery (saves me some money, lol). And we could have soldiers put on armor and start breaking out in painful rashes, and a full body suit would kill you.

Dr. D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 01:33:00 pm »

Is there already a mechanism in the game that allows for rashes on body parts? I have seen numbness.
Bombengranadenelementplitzplotzdonnerwettersappermentnochmal!

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 10:46:00 pm »

I think keeping references to existing religions out of Dwarf Fortress would be a very positive thing.

Alergies and preferences sound like a perfectly valid addition however.
But then first the cooking system needs an overhaul. Currently the Cooks serve "several random things thrown together Roast" or nothing. :)

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 06:39:12 am »

I think keeping references to existing religions out of Dwarf Fortress would be a very positive thing.

Alergies and preferences sound like a perfectly valid addition however.
But then first the cooking system needs an overhaul. Currently the Cooks serve "several random things thrown together Roast" or nothing. :)

We could do them at the same time, though they are slightly different, overhaul cooking and then add allergies.