Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FBs and settling in caverns  (Read 925 times)

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FBs and settling in caverns
« on: September 16, 2010, 05:48:18 pm »

My understanding is that if you seal off a portion of the caverns, it will be safe from monsters spawning. What happens if dwarves take over the entire cavern? Does that mean no monsters or FBs will spawn there at all?

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FBs and settling in caverns
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 05:50:55 pm »

Well, you can't seal it off the edges of the map. You have go step back a couple squares, then build your wall. FBs and other creatures will still spawn, but only at the edge and would get stuck by your walls. If you've got it blocked off entirely nothing at all would happen; you could ignore them forever and ever. Just make sure to build the wall to block all z-levels, not just the bottom one, or else fliers could still get in.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 05:52:51 pm »

If you wall off the very edge of the caverns, yes. If you forget to wall off the underground lakes too, then aquatic and amphibious creatures will still spawn. I'm not even sure it's possible to wall off a lake edge because the lake is constantly refilling.

Well, you can't seal it off the edges of the map. You have go step back a couple squares, then build your wall. FBs and other creatures will still spawn, but only at the edge and would get stuck by your walls. If you've got it blocked off entirely nothing at all would happen; you could ignore them forever and ever. Just make sure to build the wall to block all z-levels, not just the bottom one, or else fliers could still get in.

Walls can be built right up to the edge of the map underground.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 06:41:20 pm »

If you wall off the very edge of the caverns, yes. If you forget to wall off the underground lakes too, then aquatic and amphibious creatures will still spawn. I'm not even sure it's possible to wall off a lake edge because the lake is constantly refilling.

...huh. That's really quite odd. Why the change from above ground? Feels just as exploitative if not more to wall off caverns as it does to wall off the aboveground if you ask me.

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 06:43:05 pm »

..huh. That's really quite odd. Why the change from above ground? Feels just as exploitative if not more to wall off caverns as it does to wall off the aboveground if you ask me.

If you wall off the sections though what are you exploiting? All your doing is ruining your chances for fun, kind of like a self punishment.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:23:33 pm by A Dwarven Smokeologist »

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 07:14:45 pm »

...huh. That's really quite odd. Why the change from above ground? Feels just as exploitative if not more to wall off caverns as it does to wall off the aboveground if you ask me.

Not sure, in my experience this rule only applies to tiles that are "Above Ground", as in if i channel out all the stuff above the edge of the border i can't build buildings near the edge, even if it's way underground.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 07:21:54 pm »

I'm not even sure it's possible to wall off a lake edge because the lake is constantly refilling.
Magma

Artificer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 07:43:50 pm »

I'm not even sure it's possible to wall off a lake edge because the lake is constantly refilling.
Magma

Isn't that the answer to everything, really?
... it decimated his will to live. He had only been exposed to the dogs for about 2 minutes real time, but that didn't stop him from forming an everlasting bond of devotion, apparently.
...He also found it relieving to hack other war dogs to death...
You can't have a proper hero without pathos.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 07:51:45 pm »

Magma

Isn't that the answer to everything, really?

No. If you are playing DF, Yes.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 08:13:27 pm »

From what I understand, if you wall off only one Z-level of a cavern, the incoming FBs can show up *on top* of your walls.

I prefer to build fortifications with a ceiling, a few tiles away. FBs never leave, so once one shows up, it's marksdwarf bait.

Of course one can appear *while* you're building your defenses...

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 08:24:02 pm »

From what I understand, if you wall off only one Z-level of a cavern, the incoming FBs can show up *on top* of your walls.

I prefer to build fortifications with a ceiling, a few tiles away. FBs never leave, so once one shows up, it's marksdwarf bait.

Of course one can appear *while* you're building your defenses...

Yeah, stuff has shown up on top of my first wall before, not always though.

I just wall off all of it if I decide to do so. Building walls on top of walls is easy enough.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 08:42:46 pm »

Honestly, if you can construct buildings on the edge I would make walls out of fortifications one tile behind the edge going all the way up to the top and then put a line of cage traps at the very edge. Any wandering creatures to stop by get caught. Have entrance dictated by a one tile wide drawbridge; if I notice a full cage trap I open the drawbridge and let them reset it. FB shows up? Pin cushion it!

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 05:06:20 am »

Hi all, thanks for replying. You know, I never thought of building fortifications instead of walls in caverns before! It seems like such a good idea for FBs when you can snipe at them from behind one. I've already 'lost' two caverns to FBs since I used plain old walls. Ah well....

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 06:35:09 am »

Say, can gaseous FBs go through fortifications? Though those should be easy to kill anyway I guess (unless they have some deadly dust).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.