Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: I'm looking for three designs for highly efficient room areas.  (Read 6499 times)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm looking for three designs for highly efficient room areas.
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2010, 02:36:44 pm »

Why use autohotkey scripts anymore? The game's got macros and a nice text file we should be able to paste them into nestled right near the init one we're always prodding anyway.

a) I have them left over from 40d, and haven't gotten around to translating them to the DF2010 macro system yet. My file of DF-related AHK scripts is 700 lines or so long, so it's not a trivial task.

b) I don't actually know how to do loops in the DF macro system. The hundred lines of script that I posted are easily capable of generating thousands of actual commands, not to mention the lack of flexibility without code branches.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2010, 06:02:05 pm »

I... have fallen in love with the Raynard design.  I've actually memorized it now.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2010, 10:05:46 pm »

Why use autohotkey scripts anymore? The game's got macros and a nice text file we should be able to paste them into nestled right near the init one we're always prodding anyway.

a) I have them left over from 40d, and haven't gotten around to translating them to the DF2010 macro system yet. My file of DF-related AHK scripts is 700 lines or so long, so it's not a trivial task.

b) I don't actually know how to do loops in the DF macro system. The hundred lines of script that I posted are easily capable of generating thousands of actual commands, not to mention the lack of flexibility without code branches.
So it's convenient for you instead of the people you're sharing it with?

Well hey, I'm not going to call that unreasonable because it isn't. I'd like to amend the tone I used earlier and thank you for all the time you volunteer to help folks.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2010, 08:15:04 pm »

So it's convenient for you instead of the people you're sharing it with?

Well hey, I'm not going to call that unreasonable because it isn't. I'd like to amend the tone I used earlier and thank you for all the time you volunteer to help folks.

Actually, I'd be happy to translate them into DF macros if I could figure out how to do loops. It's just that, at some level, they all translate into "dig x tiles" or "move x tiles", and if I can't write functions to do that for me it starts getting ridiculous.
Try my orc mod!

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2010, 11:09:54 pm »

Efficiency is boring.  :(

The most efficient fortress is made entirely out of up/down stairs, with the occasional flat spot for workshops or furniture. But this fortress design is extremely boring to play.

WRONG!

A spiral staircase of ramps is significantly more efficient. On FPS, at any rate, and that's what matters.
Also wrong. Tests have shown no actual benefit one way or another.

So, the idea of all up-down stairs isn't FPS suicide? I always wanted to make a fort like that but didn't for fear of FPS! I must make a new fort right now.

One of my tests led me to believe that what is eating my FPS is loooong experimental shafts that I dig in different directions to find ore veins and then follow and dig the ore.

Should have tested to close off the tunnels too, but fort died of thirst before I could do that. Interesting to note is that 7-27 dorfs fort had 160 FPS to begin with, with 60-80 FPS towards the end and the FPS never recovered even though everyone died.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2010, 01:19:05 am »

One of my tests led me to believe that what is eating my FPS is loooong experimental shafts that I dig in different directions to find ore veins and then follow and dig the ore.

Should have tested to close off the tunnels too, but fort died of thirst before I could do that. Interesting to note is that 7-27 dorfs fort had 160 FPS to begin with, with 60-80 FPS towards the end and the FPS never recovered even though everyone died.

Wandering off-topic, but a test I was running in 40d (presumably still accurate for the new version)was showing that the number of exposed tiles (demonstrated by digging out two layers of soil with 7 dwarves) and number of items (demonstrated with smelter reactions) both had a fairly significant effect on FPS. I didn't check what it was compared to number of dwarves/animals or if the built state of the items affected the FPS hit, but I'd guess that those two contributed strongly to the FPS not recovering.
Try my orc mod!

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2010, 01:25:03 am »

I'm guessing it's because opened up tiles get added to the pathfinding equation, etc etc
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]