Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I'm looking for three designs for highly efficient room areas.  (Read 6496 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: I'm looking for three designs for highly efficient room areas.
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 02:01:17 am »

the most compact ramp setup i have found is
^ V up/down ramps respectively
+ floor
O wall
OOO+OO    Level 1
OOO+OO
OO^V++
++V^OO
OO+OOO
OO+OOO

OO+OOO    Level 2
OO+OOO
++V^OO
OO^V++
OOO+OO
OOO+OO

Basically, i made the double helix super compact.  :D I used this on my last Kobold camp and it worked quite well.  until the elves attacked...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010, 08:17:26 am »

I'll repost from the questions forum:

The simplest and most efficient design is basically this:

Code: [Select]
x.........x
.#########.
.#...#...#.
.#...#...#.
.#...#...#.
.#########.
.#...#...#.
.#...#...#.
.#...#...#.
.#########.
x.........x

It's repeatable, stackable, easily modifiable, and fits workshops with maximum efficiency.

The problem with it is that it's booooo-ring.
It's surprisingly easy to liven it up a bit, actually. I make a policy of never leaving more than one square between workshops un-dug if I can possibly avoid it, and I always mine veins out completely. That leaves me with lots of little odd-shaped rooms and alcoves to find uses for, breaking up the symmetry to prevent it getting dull whilst still looking tidy.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2010, 04:43:54 pm »

WWWWWWW
W W   W
W WdWWW
W dXd W
WWWdW W
W   W W
WWWWWWW

W = walls
d = doors
X = up/down stairs

Its smaller version of the workshop one, for bedrooms. Quick to make, can be expanded as needed, and best of all, its vertical.  And if you run into something, you can just move over a couple of spaces and dig another shaft.  You can even enlarge it to 2x4 or 3x5 if you need better rooms.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2010, 04:47:48 pm »

the only problem with that design is that it loses efficiency as population rises, you need several columns to support larger numbers of dwarves.  putting small hallways with a few bedrooms on each helps in that regard.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 05:04:48 pm »

I usually go for the 2x2 plain square design if I'm feeling lazy.

If I'm feeling arty, then I'll use the shaft design, which is more or less the same as the plain square but in a different arrangement.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 05:21:13 pm »

I tend to turn an entire 'floor', Z-area, into an apartment complex for the worker bees, with another floor reserved for nobles(and a noble death trap or two). Everyone gets a 3x3 room with a bed, a chest, and a cabinet. Every room is connected to another one, with a door tile wide hallway infront of the doors, and two long two or three tile hallway leading north to south to connect to the east to west hallways
w= wall
d= door
wwdwwwdwwwdww
w      w      w      w
w      w      w      w
w      w      w      w
wwwwwwwwwwww
w      w      w      w
w      w      w      w
w      w      w      w
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2010, 06:23:42 pm »

I stopped doing 3x3 bedrooms when digging them and clearing the stone slowed my forts down too much.

I did tend to have their quarters near the workshops that used stone back then though.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2010, 08:45:23 pm »

This one I use is somewhat basic, since all you do is designate an 11x11 square (SHIFT+ENTER once in y and x axis) then undesignate for rooms and the stairs.

W = wall
. = floor
(space) = Door
X = up/down stairs

WWWWWWWWWWWWW
W...W...W...W
WW WWW WWW WW
W...........W
WW WWW.WWW WW
W...W...W...W
WWWWW.X.WWWWW
W...W...W...W
WW WWW.WWW WW
W...........W
WW WWW WWW WW
W...W...W...W
WWWWWWWWWWWWW

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2010, 09:11:24 pm »

I've always 8een a fan of the whirlpool design 8y Raynard. Leaves lots of room for statues in the lo88ies.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2010, 09:14:23 pm »

I've always 8een a fan of the whirlpool design 8y Raynard. Leaves lots of room for statues in the lo88ies.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ooh, I like that one.  You can put stairs in the lobbies too for an apartment...

I might have to try that one next time.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2010, 10:02:19 pm »

I second CinnibarMan: The whirlpool design, especially with stairs in the lobbies, is really nice. With some clever arrangement, a 2x2 cluster (4 + 3*4 + 2 *4 = 24 rooms) will give you all of your housing in a single 2x2 grid square level. I tend to stick a dining room over each one of the clusters, but I'm not sure if that adds or detracts from the efficiency. I've also got an autohotkey script to generate a slightly modified version, if anyone is interested. Fractal designs are awesome, and even more awesome when they don't give you carpal tunnel setting them up.

Spoiler: AHK script (click to show/hide)
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2010, 11:15:48 pm »

#####     #####
          ##D##     ##G##
#####     ##<##     ##>##
#C<C#     #S>S#     #WWW#
#CwC#     #SSS#     #WWW#
#TcB#     #SSS#     #WWW#
#####     #####     #####

Left: Bedroom with Table/chair, well, and Containers (for food stockpiles) The well doesn't block any walls, and the entire room can be engraved with absolute certainty that ALL the wall engravings face towards the room. However, the room with the well must be placed on the lowest level, otherwise the center of every room below it will have to be knocked out so the well has a clear drop to the water source below. The Upstairs can be replaced with an Up/Down stairs for other rooms, like a dedicated office, dining room, and crypt. Theoretically the space north of this room could provide grounds for a 1-tile wide pipe of either water or magma, which could flood the lower rooms. The area the well feeds from can be sealed with closed floodgates so the entire room stack can be flooded, kept flooded, and them emptied when wanted /needed.

Center: Stockpile, that goes over the downstairs. An upstairs that goes to the workshop is placed before the Door that leads to the 3 wide East/West hallway, to trap the dwarf inside their area to force them to work (or starve to death, or stop them from rampaging outside their room)

Right: A downstairs, a Workshop, and a Glass/Gem window that looks down on the hallway below for style. The downstairs can be replaced with an up/down stairs that leads to other workshops or additional stockpiles. Optionally the walls next to this staircase (including the walls next to the window) can be knocked out and replaced with more stockpile space.

Edit - Put one 5x5 block next to the other one, so that each has their own wall and do not share a 1-tile wide wall; otherwise you can kiss each room getting its own engravings goodbye as the engravers decide which side of the wall to put the engraving on (by blocking all but 1 wall face, the engraving will always be on that side)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 11:18:02 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2010, 12:27:56 am »

Why use autohotkey scripts anymore? The game's got macros and a nice text file we should be able to paste them into nestled right near the init one we're always prodding anyway.

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2010, 12:44:45 am »

I third the Raynard design. I usually have these on a few z-levels, and I put up/down stairs in the middle lobby. In the middle of the column, I usually put my excessively good dining room, and I rarely have to worry about happiness.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2010, 03:05:15 am »

I started doing that windmill design to make myself start trying to be effective with macros. I just sever a few halls after the whole four lobbies worth are designated and reconnect as the rooms start calling out to be dug.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4