Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting bones?  (Read 1165 times)

mrbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting bones?
« on: September 16, 2010, 10:53:47 am »

Hi guys.

I've checked the Wiki, but it doesn't explain how to do this.

I've got someone in a mood and he wants bones. Well, there's a dead bear skeleton just outside the fort, and I've got lots of tame animals tethered or wandering around.

Question is, I've tried everything. How do I get the bugger to get 'dem bones? :) Also, how do I make my butcher slaughter one of my animals? And how do I get the guy to train a dog? I've got loads tied up, but can't figure out how to do it.

So many questions. :(

If I get answers, I'll update the wiki with the relevant steps required.

Cheers!

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting bones?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 10:56:42 am »

Build a butcher shop if you haven't already, and...
z -> Animals -> (pick an animal) -> "b" for butcher

Butchering will pick the bones out and then they can be taken to a refuse dump, or if he's quick enough he may grab them right out of the butcher shop.  The dead bear skeleton is probably kinda rotten and not suitable for this purpose.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 11:02:44 am »

Question is, I've tried everything. How do I get the bugger to get 'dem bones?
Answer:
Quote from: mrbane
Also, how do I make my butcher slaughter one of my animals?
First off, make sure you've got a butcher's shop, and a dwarf with butchering labour enabled.
Then got to the "animals screen"(from {z} screen), and toggle "ready for slaughter" for those you want to kill.
Your butcher will also automatically butcher every dead animal in the refuse stockpile. This includes extracting bones from "partial skeletons". Make a refuse stockpile by the butcher's, and enable refuse gathering from the outside(o->r->o, iirc).
Quote from: mrbane
And how do I get the guy to train a dog? I've got loads tied up, but can't figure out how to do it.
Build a kennel, enable some dwarf's animal training labour, add a task at the kennel.

ninjas!

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 12:18:55 pm »

You might need to butcher several animals as well, if he wants three bones he needs three stacks of separate bones.  A single stack of 99 bones still won't keep him happy.

You can't really tell how many he needs but usually just killing more cats solves the problem.

Stargazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:25:06 pm »

How do you get bones from partial skeletons, goblin corpses, troll corpses and the like?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:32:01 pm »

How do you get bones from partial skeletons, goblin corpses, troll corpses and the like?

By patiently waiting and hoping that they will decay into heaps of bones ;)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 01:15:22 pm »

How do you get bones from partial skeletons
Your butcher will also automatically butcher every dead animal in the refuse stockpile. This includes extracting bones from "partial skeletons". Make a refuse stockpile by the butcher's, and enable refuse gathering from the outside(o->r->o, iirc).
Waiting for partial skeletons to decay into bones takes ages.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 03:35:44 pm »

Is there a specific set of requirements for a skeleton to be butchered into bones?  I had several skeletal elephant er...  skeletons in my refuse pile and a few were butchered automatically while the other two have been sitting there for what must be 5 years now.

Along those lines, what do the "Butcher animal" and "Extract from dead animal" tasks at the butcher's shop do?  Sounds like butcher animal is the same thing as the auto-task "slaughter animal" except that it doesn't really do anything.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 03:40:46 pm »

'Slaughter animal' is only done when a tame animal is designated for slaughtering.

'Butcher animal' is auto-triggered when a butcherable non-tame animal is placed in a nearby refuse pile.

The extract job is performed on certain live vermin (Fire snakes, cave spiders, and phantom spiders in vanilla) and produces extracts, which don't seem to be useful for much other than as trade goods.

I have yet to see an animal skeleton processed into bones.  I am not sure what conditions trigger this to happen.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 03:46:09 pm »

Animal skeletons only get processed into bones if they would have been eligible to be butchered in the first place, and the job triggers the same way - if there's a "butcherable" skeleton sitting in a refuse stockpile, it'll auto-trigger the job in a butcher's shop
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 05:03:26 pm »

I think you have to wait until the skeleton no longer counts as rotten.  Fresh corpse = straight to butchers, rotten = sit in refuse pile until it's been picked clean by ants.

I think.  I vaguely recall having suddenly a bunch of extra bones in my stockpile that I wasn't expecting because my butchers were done with all the unrotten corpses, and I also noticed a butcher hauling a skeleton to the butcher shop.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 08:00:59 pm »

I've definitely seen the fresh/rotten difference.  In my case the elephants were already skeletal, so they should have gone straight to the butcher.  Some did, some didn't.