Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: On Morality In Video Games  (Read 5033 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: On Morality In Video Games
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2010, 01:41:29 pm »

Well, if you set the concept of good and evil, you might as well flip a coin.

Although a game where you can choose how the moral system works, at a base level, could be interesting.  Of course, if you set murder to "good", or whatever, expect to be rushed by NPCs...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2010, 01:51:35 pm »

Well, if you set the concept of good and evil, you might as well flip a coin.

Although a game where you can choose how the moral system works, at a base level, could be interesting.  Of course, if you set murder to "good", or whatever, expect to be rushed by NPCs...
Eh, people don't want to die, unless dying is a good thing... then the world will be full of 'evil' people that need to be cleansed for their wrong ways...
"Hey, why arn't you dead or murdering people?"
"What about you?!"
*Stab*

Yea, humanity is thus, extinct or left with immoral peoples.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2010, 02:04:08 pm »

That'd be why we have morality in the first place, yeah.

Although if you revised it slightly to "Attack and kill anyone not in your immediate family/ tribe" it could create some weirdness.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2010, 03:06:01 pm »

Although if you revised it slightly to "Attack and kill anyone not in your immediate family/ tribe" it could create some weirdness.

Weirdness?

I thought that was how the world actually worked?
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2010, 03:35:09 pm »

B&W2 and all of the Molyneux games after decided to use morality as a toy and just ruined it, IMO.

Didn't play any of the games after B&W, as I found B&W lame. I might have been more tolerant if there had been less hype. But as it was, I found it to be a flashy yet not-nearly-as-free-or-clever-as-it-claimed god game, bound with a tamagotchi.

I don't know how many people actually notice that you get "good" bonuses only the first few times you give food, then it drops slowly after a while. Anyone who did go around with a glowing white hand deserve it for their patience, IMO. Being good was actually an achievement because it was so tempting to just be evil, just like in RL morality.

And the creatures actually did sort of learn; a friend of mine taught his cow to throw rocks across the water when it got pissed. B&W2 had a mechanical-ish creature and moral mechanics.. it was basically just a slider.

B&W was definitely lame, but it paid attention to a lot of fine details. It was a great sandbox.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2010, 04:10:45 pm »

I don't understand why you guys are trying so hard to find morality systems to represent characters who frequently slaughter dozens of people at a time without blinking.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2010, 04:30:13 pm »

Weirdness?

I thought that was how the world actually worked?
Yeah, but now it would actually be the morally correct thing to do.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2010, 04:30:35 pm »

I don't understand why you guys are trying so hard to find morality systems to represent characters who frequently slaughter dozens of people at a time without blinking.

You mean Chaotic Redneck doesn't fit?

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2010, 04:54:28 pm »

Fable II was kind of ridiculous in that you could slaughter a whole town on a whim and then turn around and donate to the monks or whatever and gain back all your good points...as someone mentioned a 'reputation' system would work best, and extreme acts should have more permanent effects. In the real world if you commit some kind of crime, it is on your record forever and despite your best attempts to put it behind you, employers/schools/government whatever will always judge you based upon what you've done in the past.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2010, 12:57:51 am »

Fable II was kind of ridiculous in that you could slaughter a whole town on a whim and then turn around and donate to the monks or whatever and gain back all your good points...as someone mentioned a 'reputation' system would work best, and extreme acts should have more permanent effects. In the real world if you commit some kind of crime, it is on your record forever and despite your best attempts to put it behind you, employers/schools/government whatever will always judge you based upon what you've done in the past.
Yeah. If you do kill someone though you will hear people say "I knew that person that you murdered" and stuff like that but that's really all that happens.

The funniest thing on Fable II you can be the most corrupt bastard in the world by....Waaait for it.... Eating a fattening apple pie and some meat then sleeping in.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 01:30:35 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2010, 06:02:14 am »

You've picked my interest. Why did that make Fable-guy corrupt?
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2010, 06:28:12 am »

In the real world if you commit some kind of crime, it is on your record forever

Not so. You can get your penal record cleaned after two years, AFAIK
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2010, 06:33:15 am »

In the real world if you commit some kind of crime, it is on your record forever

Not so. You can get your penal record cleaned after two years, AFAIK

That depends vastly on the crime in question.  Just getting an arrest annulled from the state records can take years, let alone any kind of conviction that isn't resolved through Deferred Adjudication.

Anyway, I can't believe I, let alone everyone else here, managed to go this long without mentioning Planescape: Torment.  As far as I can recall, it's the only RPG that actually gave the player the option to intentionally lie during conversations.  Not just make promises you, the player, don't intend to keep, but decide whether you mean what you're saying, and if you lie often enough it effects your alignment.  Among a vast host of other examples.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2010, 06:40:33 am »

Mentioned on the first page. Though not really for reasons the same as yours, if I remember correctly.
Also, basically all new "RPG" games have that lying thing. It says [lie] right before the dialogue option, often in connection with [persuade] or whatever they call the talkie skill in that game.
Love, scriver~

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2010, 07:41:29 am »

Fallout 1 and 2 had lies I believe, and Star Wars KoToR had [lie] for a when you were becoming a jedi. More games need it still in more places still =p
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6