Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Tactics?  (Read 2948 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Military Tactics?
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:38:53 pm »

I had a peasant show up who was a novice in "Military Tactics". Where and how and why is this skill learned?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Military Tactics?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 11:51:19 pm »

Probably a new skill with 31.13

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 10:30:10 am »

Something strange has happened with migrants in .31.13. People are getting migrants from other races and migrants with weird never seen before skills such as Military Tactics. None of them are likely intentional, and this skill in particular probably has no effect on anything within the game.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 10:36:32 am »

Paving the way for sending armies to other places perhaps? Or a skill the worthless militia commander noble can hone sitting in his study while the real military dorfs do all the dirty work?

Tactics though... makes you dream a little. Proper battles with formations and lines? We can only wish.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:17:55 pm »

Well, squad formations was one of the features intended for DF2010 but dropped because we were waiting too long already. It'll get in someday.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 04:31:39 pm »

Paving the way for sending armies to other places perhaps? Or a skill the worthless militia commander noble can hone sitting in his study while the real military dorfs do all the dirty work?

Tactics though... makes you dream a little. Proper battles with formations and lines? We can only wish.

You must either have a glitch, not doing something right, or haven't actually played the game enough.  My militia commander not only trains and fights with his soldiers he ends up getting most of the kills.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 04:52:34 pm »

Something strange has happened with migrants in .31.13. People are getting migrants from other racesand migrants with weird never seen before skills such as Military Tactics. None of them are likely intentional, and this skill in particular probably has no effect on anything within the game.

Leave that in please.... so cool to get other races attracted to your fort. Plus if elves show up you can conscript them as steel clad wrestlers so your axedwarves can safely slice off limbs.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 07:59:25 pm »

You must either have a glitch, not doing something right, or haven't actually played the game enough.  My militia commander not only trains and fights with his soldiers he ends up getting most of the kills.

Same here, mine is almost always the first guy there, sometimes the Captain of the guard is too if he isn't out killing dwarves for not making tin beds and clear glass warhammers.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]