Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Rimslaughters: Fifteen Ways To Die  (Read 20651 times)

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rimslaughters: Fifteen Ways To Die (updated)
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 09:44:27 pm »

That's interesting.  I wish I could do this one:  "A night out on the town. Within a leafy grove, Qwhuimkoln seeks to feed the swans, never seeing the school of piranha until too late."

Fill a moat with carp.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 10:25:41 pm »

Just kidding!  I work them like dogs.  I'm not satisfied unless it reads IDLERS: 0.

I get unnatural satisfaction when there are no idlers.  It doesn't happen that frequently, because I don't let my miners, woodcutter, or chief medical dwarf do anything other than their main professions, but my eyes light up when I see that everyone is doing their part.
At last, she is done.

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 10:35:20 pm »

Fill a moat with carp.

That's the problem, no carp on this map (and no elves to bring other Fun critters).  There might be a cave crocodile down there somewhere, though...

I get unnatural satisfaction when there are no idlers.  It doesn't happen that frequently, because I don't let my miners, woodcutter, or chief medical dwarf do anything other than their main professions, but my eyes light up when I see that everyone is doing their part.

I know!  I actually usually switch on light hauling for my woodcutters and such, which inevitably annoys me later because no trees are being cut while they're hauling Random Item X halfway across the map and back.  But when everything is working right, it's pretty sweet.

I currently have between 20,000 and 60,000 stone units designated for dumping, so excess labor is... not a problem.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2011, 11:34:50 pm »

I don't know if this has been said or not, but your fort comes close to Undergrotto in scope.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Shimmler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 02:31:55 am »

Epic dwarfinees.

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 05:19:54 am »

Just had to post to say that this is amazing and that it should definatly be in the hall of legends.

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2011, 07:54:54 pm »

I don't know if this has been said or not, but your fort comes close to Undergrotto in scope.

Thanks guys, the feedback is always encouraging.  Undergrotto is a personal inspiration of mine.

Just had to post to say that this is amazing and that it should definatly be in the hall of legends.

Well... *cough*... they do say it's tacky to submit your own fort... ;)

OK, enough with the niceties, here's a story!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two dwarves were standing at the entrance to the front of the fort when the Liaison from the Mountainhome arrived.

"Ah, Duchess Sigun, so nice to see you again," the Liaison said, bowing.  "And you must be the young new Mayor I've heard so much about."  He shook Tekkud's hand heartily.  "I trust all has been well since I saw you last?"

The two dwarves exchanged a glance.  "Umm, yes, no problems at all," Tekkud stammered.  "Really, nothing out of the ordinary, definitely didn't backstab any hu- oof!"

"What young Tekkud means to say is that we really have been doing well," the duchess said smoothly, surreptitiously removing her elbow from Tekkud's stomach.  "And how were your travels?  No trouble with goblins, I hope?"  She grabbed the Liaison's arm and started leading him into the fort.

The Liaison, well-trained at keeping a straight face, hardly twitched a facial muscle at the Mayor's odd remark.  "No trouble."  With the Duchess leading the way into the massive fort, he politely discussed the hardships of the journey and other small talk.  Soon, they were passing massive stockpiles of goods, filled to the brim with the dwarves' handiwork.

Then, something caught the Liaison's eye.

"Pardon me," he said delicately, "but... is that a human skull?"

Sitting in the middle of a side corridor was definitely a human skull.

--------

Later that day, the three dwarves gathered in the Duchess's chambers for a meeting.

"The humans were coming right for us," the Duchess explained.  "It was a do-or-die situation.  We had no choice."

The Liaison sighed.  The humans had been a valuable ally against the goblins.  The last thing they needed was to lose their support.  "I see," he said.  "How exactly were they attacking?"

"They dressed up like traders!"  Tekkud exclaimed.  "We almost fell for it."

"Traders?"  The Liaison raised an eyebrow quizzically.  "And how do you know they weren't just regular traders?"

The young Mayor thought for a moment.  "They had weapons on their pack animals.  And a bunch of fighters with them.  Vicious camels, too."

"Were the weapons... for trade?" The Liaison asked.  "It's not unusual to bring bodyguards when traveling with expensive goods."

"Oh no, definitely not,"  Tekkud said.  "I mean, they were in the big bundles with everything else, but if they had untied the bundles, and then taken the weapons out of their scabbards, and then put on the armor... we would really have been in trouble!"

The Duchess rolled her eyes.

"So, what you're telling me is that you jumped a bunch of human traders and took their stuff?"  The Liaison asked angrily.

"No," Tekkud said earnestly, "the magma got most of the stuff."

"The MAGMA?!"  The Liaison exclaimed.  "How did you defend yourself with magma?"

"Oh, we just dumped it right on their heads," Tekkud said. 

"Turns out camels can't live in magma after all."

The Liaison slumped over in his chair and buried his head in his hands.

"I know, weird, right?  But we found out some other stuff too!"

The Liaison glanced up at the Mayor.

"Did you know that Human's can't fly AT ALL?  They just fall right down."

The Liaison buried his head back in his hands.  The Duchess rolled her eyes again.

"And it turned out you can just bash them with a war hammer all day long, and they won't even fight back.  Takes a sword to do any real damage!"

The Liaison grunted incoherently.

"We learned all of that!"  Tekkud exclaimed.

"One more thing, actually."  Sigun smiled wickedly.  "Our siege operators have terrible aim."

The Liaison jumped to his feet.  "The Siege operators?!  Why would you let this happen?" he shrieked at the Duchess.

She shrugged.  "We were bored."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:12:03 am by jfsh »

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2013, 09:11:23 pm »

Just remember; you cant spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"! And my god is that thing amazing.  I salute, bow and kneel to your amazing dorfiness, good sir.

Wow,this coming from the guy who made hell his bitch. Amazing.
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rimslaughters: Fifteen Ways To Die
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2013, 12:32:33 am »

I expect necromancing from Escaped Lunatics, but from a Bay Watcher?  This thread died two years ago, you Elf.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2013, 06:04:47 pm »

I expect necromancing from Escaped Lunatics, but from a Bay Watcher?  This thread died two years ago, you Elf.
"The things you call dead just haven't been given the chance to be born." - The Scatman.

Don't condemn the actions of others blindly, this was a great read.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2013, 07:07:27 pm »

I agree with Loud Whispers.  :o
Hard to believe there was time to come up with all these creative designs, or space to put them all in one fort.
I'm still wondering what the 15th way is, I seem to have missed it if it's there.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2013, 08:29:02 pm »

It was an interesting read. I am kind of glad it was necroed, as this fortress is quite amazing.

Hehe... I believe I know what the 15th way to die is as well.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2013, 10:51:49 pm »

This is so............!!AMAZING I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING THIS AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o
Oop's Wrong Lever!

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2013, 01:57:24 am »

This is so............!!AMAZING I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING THIS AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Really now, I usually am not critical but this an unbecoming Necro. Your beard isn't on fire.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2013, 12:54:18 pm »

I don't understand some people. What makes you so personally offended when somebody posts on an old thread? Especially when it's a thread about such an awesome fort? Are you just jealous?
Feeling down? Click Here!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4