Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Sadistically Cursed Seven  (Read 2496 times)

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Sadistically Cursed Seven
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 11:50:00 pm »

In a treeless game, I'd say the most vital wood item to produce is one charcoal to start coke production (or 5 charcoal to make one steel bar and go straight into magma smelting).

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 12:22:00 am »

Galena 1051 -- Late Summer

Another pretty much uneventful month.  The second storage area is more than half excavated and a couple of Craftsdwarf workshops have been built for idle dwarves to at least make something worth selling for needed supplies.  

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 03:19:00 pm »

Fun stuff.  My non-wood maps have all quickly gone the way of the dodo.  Thanks for posting.   :)  Sometimes I need to rest my sadistic managing streak and take pleasure in pain I didn't cause.

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 12:44:00 am »

Limestone 1051 – Early Autumn

11th – Logem had a tragic contraction of SDD(Stupid Dwarf Disorder).  During a seasonal flooding of the cave river, while the other dwarves ran for dry ground down the entrance shaft, he found it necessary to wade south down the river path in search of … goodness knows what.  Predictably the damn fool drowned, leaving only six dwarves left once again.

12th – The dwarven caravan arrived.  Erith, our Dabbling Everything Dwarf-of-all-trades, was assigned the task of constructing the trade depot out of Rhyolite, our most common excess rock.  At this point we’ve got only about a dozen stone crafts of unimpressive quality, so I’m not expecting to be able to buy much.  

13th – After pondering the mysteries of the universe for more than a day, Erith started towards the depot site to begin designing it … before deciding at the last minute that he just HAD to have some luscious cave fish first, requiring him to traipse back inside the cavern.   The merchants were fast approaching, having killed off a couple of musk ox and several wolves with their accompanying axedwarves.  

15th – Erith finally returned from his ‘feast’, and after some more wandering, attended to the urgent business of … storing more stone crafts in the bin being used to hold them.  Certainly he wouldn’t want to be sidetracked by the irrelevant task of building the damn depot.  

16th – After being order to stop moving the damn crafts already and design the bloody depot, Erith proceeded to make the brilliant decision that he was too damn thirsty to be bothered with it, walking down the long corridor to the cave river to get a drink.

18th – A mere week after the order was given, Erith finally gets around to beginning the trade depot.  

21st – The depot is finished, and the merchants begin unloading their wares.  For once Erith follows instructions, and brings the bin of crafts immediately.  

23rd – All that really was worth buying was a stack of Plump Helmets, which will provide seeds for farming operations down the road.  For now though, it’s a steady diet of cave fish.  

Ingish’s penchant for unfinished rooms continues, but he’s nearing the end of the current phase, which will allow for basic production and storage at least.  

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 03:19:00 pm »

Sandstone, 1051 – Mid-Autumn

22nd – Ingish finishes his mining project, and moves on to building a make-shift dining room near the cavern entrance.  

The dining room is nearly finished, though so far Erith is steadfastly refusing to finish the damn well.  

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 12:57:00 am »

Timber, 1051 -- Late Autumn

7th – The merchants have left, and Ingish finishes the well after Erith did most of the work on it.  The top complaint of the dwarves of Dastotging has been satisfied, and their second-most common complaint(no chairs) will soon be rectified as they are moved into the new meeting hall, such as it is.  

As winter approaches, the food stores are adequate but not more, morale is holding steady but shaky, and Ingish begins work on what will eventually become the first farm.  The last major stockpile(ore) is being moved to storage inside the caverns as well.

Sucker Punch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 10:51:00 pm »

I'm loving it man, solid gold.

[ October 05, 2006: Message edited by: Sucker Punch ]

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2006, 01:09:00 am »

Glad you like it, everyone.  I'm looking forward to a year or so from now(assuming Dastotging isn't a permanent fixture on the ash heap of history by then) when there's enough dwarves for things to really get interesting.  

As an aside, I got a kick out of Mahul blahblahblah(the merchant), who claimed that "your work is legend in the Mountainhomes".  Fat chance  :).

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2006, 09:29:00 am »

Interesting to see how this works out. How long will dwarves go with no bedroom, no booze and such before its tantrum city?

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2006, 07:04:00 pm »

I'm wondering if you have any seeds to farm with...
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2006, 07:12:00 pm »

At the moment I have precisely six seeds(plump helmets), I got a couple from plants that grew from flooding in the main tunnel and bought a stack of five from the merchants.  I'll only have a few to plant to start off with next year, but eventually I can build up a stash -- I hope.

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2006, 02:10:00 am »

Better hope none of your 6 helmets wither. :/

But seriously, this is awesome. Reminds me very much of an IVAN story... Not that that game needs you to do anything extra to make it sadistic. Then again, lets face it: pretty much all roguelikes are about sending an unskilled adventurer into a deathtrap and trying to make them survive.

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2006, 02:56:00 am »

Moonstone, 1051 – Early Winter

Snow didn’t bother the dwarves of Dastotging, especially since in these far northern reaches, it snows pretty much all year long.  It was actually one of the more productive months – morale is on a slight upswing with the functional at best meeting hall in place, and the initial farming area has been largely hollowed out, with a bit of quartz found as a bonus.  A backup in hauling duties led to some rotten cave fish and consequently an occasional small miasma outbreak, but nothing serious.  The food stores are holding, and it looks likely that Ingish’s band of misfits will live out the winter.  

Mad Jackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2006, 10:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Rondol:
<STRONG>I'm wondering if you have any seeds to farm with...</STRONG>

quote:

23rd – All that really was worth buying was a stack of Plump Helmets, which will provide seeds for farming operations down the road. For now though, it’s a steady diet of cave fish.

So the answer is "after these plants are eaten or brewed." I believe.

What a great thread.

an''t catch me!

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2006, 01:59:00 am »

brewed?  Did I read that right?  One would need a barrel to go around brewing anything.  Do you see any wood around here?  

Actually, most of them are eaten(the plants).  And in other news ...

Opal, 1051 -- Mid-Winter

The farming cavern is complete, and most of the hauling has been caught up on, but right now Ingish has been able to get anyone(including his own lazy self) to drag the bloody floodgates to the river.  Which is rather essential at this point, since it becomes a bit more difficult to farm a stone floor with no mud on it.  

Pages: 1 [2] 3