Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Sadistically Cursed Seven  (Read 2497 times)

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Sadistically Cursed Seven
« on: September 29, 2006, 03:32:00 am »

** Author's note:  One things that seems to be missing on the forums here and on the Wiki is the kind of detailed stories that I think this game really lends itself well to.  So I'm going to try my hand one here, with the caveat that I'm not a good player yet by any stretch -- I have a good grasp on the basics but that's about it.  In the interests of my soon-to-commence public flogging, I've also decided to start out with some handicaps for this game.**

REALM:  Mon Sagus, The Plane of Dawning

CIVILIZATION:  Dibeshushir, 'The Crazy Quakes'

For most dwarves, the opportunity to lead an expedition to form a new settlement is a honor, but in this case it was rather something less.  Ingish Alathonul was being banished, exiled -- a serious case of the blind leading the blind after having committed the mortal sin of spilling ale on Prince Ehlund's beard, and then having the affrontery to insult the royalty's magnificence.  

Along with six equally hideously incompetent malcontents, he set out with only a single axe, and the wagon and the beasts to pull it to his destination.  Speaking of which:

REGION:  The Molten Barbs of Death

The reality of this far northern destination wasn't much kinder than it's name.  The company arrived to find frigid temperatures, no trees, indeed no vegetation of any kind at the wilderness wasteland they were tasked with claiming for the greater glory of the kingdom.  

They dubbed their new settlement/death camp Dastotning, "SwordYoung", and on 1st Granite, 1051, set forth to carve their future, bleak though it was.  Ingish's unfortunate fellow travelers:

Likot Amkololin
Lolem Lorsithducem
Datan Mingkilrem
Morul Okoloddom
Eshtan Fikodvunom
Erith Amidkodol

Other than Erith, all of them are female.  Initial orders were the setting aside of a small plot for excess rock, and a small auxiliary cavern to be created for masonry.  After that, Ingish intended to make a secure artery straight into the rock face, as deep as required to find some source on water.  Without no outside water source in the vicinity, they would have to find another source, or soon be doomed to die of thirst.  

**I intend to give a report after each month(game-time)**

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: The Sadistically Cursed Seven
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 03:40:00 am »

Sounds awesome!   You should use smaller images though since these will probably add up and make the page slow to load.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 09:35:00 am »

quote:
Author's note: One things that seems to be missing on the forums here and on the Wiki is the kind of detailed stories that I think this game really lends itself well to.

Exactly what I've been thinking! I always get a kick out of reading these things, so I'm glad you're doing this.

The story's great so far, but I sure hope you're a better player than I am or it might be a short one. I picked a map like that once, and the results were not pretty...   :(

Edit: And did you mean this literally now?  

quote:
Along with six equally hideously incompetent malcontents, he set out with only a single axe, and the wagon and the beasts to pull it to his destination.

I know you must have a pickaxe, of course, but I'd be interested in the exact details of your starting build.

[ September 29, 2006: Message edited by: Solara ]

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 10:52:00 am »

Starting build was all unskiled, one pickaxe

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 04:00:00 pm »

no foods?
HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 04:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kjoery:
<STRONG>Starting build was all unskiled, one pickaxe</STRONG>

Masochist freak...

EDIT: Suddenly the title of this thread makes a lot more sense.  ;)

[ September 29, 2006: Message edited by: Solara ]

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 07:56:00 pm »

Yeah, literally all I took with me is the axe.  If I find I can't make it work for any reason, there's another identical(freezing, no trees, no vegetation, Wilderness) area I can just start again with.  But hopefully that won't be necessary anytime soon.

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 09:06:00 pm »

Granite, 1051

3rd – Masonry room completed; Likot assigned to build a workshop and use her complete lack of skill as a mason exclusively for the time being.  Lolem was put to work assembling a makeshift butchery, as it would soon be necessary to eat the two mules that were unfortunate to be the beasts of burden for the Dastotging party.  Over a dozen musk ox have been spotted, but that was a needless danger to court for now.  These two tasks consumed all the flint that Ingish had gotten from making the initial masonry room, putting the dwarves back to zero in terms of materials.

13th – After nearly two weeks, Ingish has become a Novice Miner.  Not much to get excited about, with no fresh water yet found – and he’s still an embarrassment to the profession, just slightly less of one.

16th – To everyone’s relief, Ingish’s tunnel finally strikes an underground river, but it wasn’t all joy for everyone concerned.  Morul Okoloddom, already tired from hauling some stone out to clear the tunnel, was drowned in the resulting flooding.  Ingish, however, did manage to make it out.  

20th – By nightfall the flood had completely receded.  It fell to Erith to remove Morul’s bloated, decaying, stinky(nothing new there) body to a temporary grave outside the tunnel … only to keep the other dwarves from tripping over it.  

21st – The river had been found not a moment to soon.  The other dwarves began to complain of thirst before the river access could be expanded, but eventually all were able to drink and the first crisis to befall Dastotging passed.  

24th – While carving out the river access area, Ingish struck silver, the first valuable ore the dwarves had yet found.  It would be quite some time before they could do much of anything with it, but it was an exciting discovery nonetheless and their spirits were lifted.  

25th – Having finished the river access mining project, Ingish now set to work on what would become the early work and storage areas.

Only a month in, and already one dwarf is dead.  Hopefully more won't follow anytime soon.

Note the lone shrup growing in the tunnel -- given the tundra outside, I find it a bit humorous.

[ September 29, 2006: Message edited by: Zorromorph ]

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 11:48:00 pm »

The second month was far less eventfull -- and that was pretty much unmitigated good news.  There was some moodiness, but nothing serious so far.  

Cave fish has now become the entree of choice.  That's because it's pretty much all that's left, other than a small amount of mule(tasty!).  Ingish continues to slowly make progress on the first storage room, Logem takes care of the cleaning and preparation of the fish, Likot has been busy putting together some basic equipment in the masonry -- doors, floodgates, tables, thrones -- and the other three alternate between fishing from the cave river, grumbling incessantly about not having bedrooms/wells/chairs/etc., and hauling away the odd pile of stone from Ingish's mining.  

So far, the six remaining intrepid dwarves are having no problem surviving, but that's about all they are managing -- progress is painfully slow.  

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 12:54:00 pm »

Felsite, 1051

8th – Ingish managed to clear one half of the storage room, and the rest of the party immediately set to work hauling the stone in from the outside.  Not particularly exciting to an outsider, but to them a sign of progress – one more step in making Dastotging a functional outpost.  

18th – Likot becomes a Mason, otherwhise known as the only dwarf other than Ingish to not completely suck at everything.  Ironically, he’s just about done with everything we need made right now from his workshop – so soon he’ll be reduced to hauling stuff around like his compatriots.  

20th – It seems I made a slight miscalculation – the storage room suffered a cave-in.  Damage was minimal, but Logem was found on the floor unconscious after the dust cloud cleared.  Ingish was behind a lot of rock digging on the other side, so he was scarcely even aware that anything had happened, but it has created a certain amount of unnecessary work.  All in all, a rather unfortunate mistake, and only because the plans made the room just slightly too long n-s.  

21st – Datan becomes a Fisherdwarf.  

There appear to be no long-term effects from the cave-in, physically or psychologically.  Most of the stone surplus have been moved inside.

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 12:15:00 am »

Hematite, 1051 – Early Summer

After about a week of summer had passed, Likot began to grumble about about the lack of dwarven ale – something most people would think a blessing.  Ingish soon joined him, and they proceeded to spend a substantial portion of their time out in the cold whining about … the weather.  And swearing at anyone who suggested that they get back to work.

Eshtan acquired Fisherdwarf status late in the month, while Erith became the outpost’s resident amateur carpenter, chopping apart the wagon for a bit of wood and making a couple of bins out of it.  The first storage room is completed, and the food & refuse have been moved in alongside the stone, while the adjacent workshop room is dug out.  Progress continues to be slow, as it requires more than half of the time the dwarves have just to keep enough food on hand.  

The masonry has also been destroyed, and more workshops will follow, as they get moved inside the caverns as well.  

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 06:50:00 am »

Nice story  :). Keep writing !

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 12:30:00 pm »

Enjoying it so far.  :) Seems like a lucky thing the river was so close, so at least you've got something on your side.

Any particular reason you had the carpenter make bines, tohugh? At least I know if I'm short on wood my first priority is always a bucket and then as many beds as I can manage.

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 12:47:00 pm »

This is great!  I'm generating a new world to try a wasteland game (but I don't know if I'll be quite so hardcore about my starting stuff!).

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 01:40:00 pm »

Thanks.  As far as the beds go, I see little point right now in making one or two beds when I've got very little prospect for more wood.  I'll wait until I get enough to bother setting up proper living quarters.  

Malachite 1051 - Mid-Summer

4th – Logem has reached Novice ability in Fish Cleaning, leaving only one left with no skills – Erith.  

6th – Far west of Dastotging, a new dwarf arrived:  a Novice Metal Crafter/Furnace Operator/Weaponsmith going by the name of Ezum Bodiceguise.  Though none of those items were needed at the moment, he brought with him an anvil and another body to add to the labor, both of which were very much welcomed.  

9th – Erith decided it was time for him to start wandering aimlessly ‘on break’ for days on end – feeling left out I guess.  In other news, the fishery operation has been moved completely inside, allowing for a bit more efficiency to aid in keeping up with the demands of seven hungry dwarves.

Nothing much changed for the rest of the month, except for Ingish deciding not to finish the workshop room just yet and move south of the tunnel for more excavating, where he at least managed to find more silver.  

[ October 01, 2006: Message edited by: Zorromorph ]

Pages: [1] 2 3