Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Learning Curve  (Read 5517 times)

Briggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Learning Curve
« on: September 15, 2010, 10:34:30 pm »

I just came across this by chance but felt everyone here would love it. I've often described DF as such: "Some games have a steep learning curve. Dwarf Fortress has a learning sheer cliff-side."

This image is a perfect representation thereof.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Learning Curve
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 10:35:13 pm »

old pic is old.

really old.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Briggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 10:36:37 pm »

Doesn't mean you have to be a jerk about it. ._.  It was new to me and I saw it by chance online so I thought I would share.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:39:35 pm »

It's old but still funny.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 10:39:49 pm »

Sorry, bro.

It happens to all of us.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 11:29:06 pm »

Yeah, I was seeing that image with EVE-Online instead of DF years before I ever heard of DF :/

Still gives me a chuckle when I see it tho ;)
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 08:25:28 am »

I'd never seen it before, either.

Yeah, I was seeing that image with EVE-Online instead of DF years before I ever heard of DF :/

Still gives me a chuckle when I see it tho ;)

Wouldn't an EVE one have more asteroid mining in it?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 08:30:02 am »

I've once seen a photoshopped version of this pic (with WoW being replaced by DF and DF being replaced by Allegiance) on Allegiance wiki (it's a shitty space sim). Since then I didn't play that game.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 08:32:07 am by Dariush »

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 08:37:03 am »

Just cos it's shopped doesn't make it wrong  :P
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 08:39:17 am »

This is DF. A wiki is needed to learn the controls. I still find myself checking things on it just to make sure I understand the principles.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 08:50:34 am »

This is DF. A wiki is needed to learn the controls. I still find myself checking things on it just to make sure I understand the principles.
I always have the wiki open before embark just to make sure that I've got the right kinds of layers for either Bronze or Steel at minimum. And I have to constantly check a lot of ores to make sure they're giving me the metals I think they are. And I'm still hazy on advanced glass production. I've only built siege machines a couple times, and I'm not sure I've ever had them functional. I couldn't tell you the right steps off the top of my head. I've never had a functional alchemist. I just sorted out proper textile workflow (with stockpile separation AND dying!) earlier this week.

I have two tabs open to the wiki right now.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 09:47:41 am »

I'd never seen it before, either.

Wouldn't an EVE one have more asteroid mining in it?

I dunno, I have played EVE for over 5 years now, and have not fit a mining laser to a ship once I realized the game is not a mining simulator (about a week in)...
>_>
<_<

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 09:51:43 am »

This is DF. A wiki is needed to learn the controls.

This right here is what sucked me in to DF.  I had been riding the (purely ego fueled) high of being one of the 'elite' gamers who not only was able to play, but understood most of the complexity and convolution that make up EVE-online... Then I found DF and realised what confusion and being a noob at something is really like, and I was hooked from that point  8)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 10:34:43 am »

I dont think DF has a very steep learning curve. Apart from UI, for lots of things, one can use his head (and Google search... or wiki) to solve things out. The challenge of survival depends mostly of the embark's position, I think, and much less of knowing how the game mechanics work beyond the basics. Building a Fort that can produce everything it needs for its citizens to live, and then seal off the exits, is not too difficult. That is, if you dont want it to be difficult.

I think there are lots of simulators and strategy games (and I dont mean "real time "strategies""..) that are much more difficult to learn and become good at. In DF, the player decides the challenges he wants to take on. Usually at least!  :D

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 01:23:25 pm »

I dont think DF has a very steep learning curve.
I think there are lots of simulators and strategy games (and I dont mean "real time "strategies""..) that are much more difficult to learn and become good at.
Did you learn how to play the game by yourself, or did you require help from the wiki?  Did you know how to do anything beyond random-button-press when you started, unless you looked at the wiki, like most of us did still do?  Most other games are basically clones of other games, and as such are fairly easy (and intuative!) to figure out.  No, DF has one of the most insane learning curves ever.
Pages: [1] 2 3