Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pauldrons  (Read 3120 times)

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pauldrons
« on: September 15, 2010, 08:00:50 pm »

Pauldrons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauldrons) would be an excellent addition to armour. Would provide excellent rigid shoulder protection (sick of having my dwarves' upper arms snapped like twigs through their crappy steel chain) and is the part of armour that makes the wearer look powerfully manly.

I feel like this needs little elaboration, but would be a great thing to see implemented.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: Pauldrons
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:52:20 pm »

Agree. Maybe even more armor types while were at it. We have tons of weapons, more armor types could help.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:07:49 pm »

BEHOLD
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:12:53 pm »

BEHOLD
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Exactly.

Even the God-Emperor of Mankind would otherwise look like a girl (note the long, feminine hair) were he not possessing a manly set of Pauldrons. This is all the proof we need.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:56:09 am »

I think that it's assumed that plate armour includes pauldrons. Maybe it just doesn't provide enough blocking power?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 01:25:58 am »

I'm pretty sure there is no plate armor piece that also protects shoulders.  Check this thread out: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=51896.30 

The following edit to the breastplate raw makes it able to protect shoulders as if it had pauldrons, though I know that at least in the 14th and early 15th centuries, the shoulder protection was part of the arm harness, not the pieces of armor for the torso, and was secured to the arming garment underneath it all:

[ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_BREASTPLATE]
[NAME:breastplate:breastplates]
[ARMORLEVEL:3]
[UBSTEP:1]
[LBSTEP:1]

Also, it might be worth mentioning as it was mentioned in the thread I linked, there isn't any protection for the neck, either.  Modding the breastplate (or any other torso armour) to have UBSTEP:2 or UBSTEP:MAX makes it able to protect  the eyes, jaw, face, and ears. in addition to the throat which is sort of dumb...  There's no way to protect just the neck in DF.  You can't mod the helm to protect the neck, either, I don't think...

Perhaps a new thread with a compilation of suggested armor and body part system changes should be made if there isn't one already (and I don't think there is, though I haven't checked lately).  I might end up doing this myself or (ideally, if an old thread exists) necro an old thread about it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:42:33 am by Andeerz »

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 02:46:37 am »

Look, I don't mean to be a buzz kill, but we've talked about this before.

I recommend (as much as this sort of thread can be recommended) resurecting this one.

Tamren has some essays near the end that will either fascinate you, or cause you to become bored of this idea completely.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 04:49:31 am »

You ain't a buzz kill at all!  I wish more people (everyone) would look for and necro older threads before considering making a new one.  I certainly appreciate the suggestion of that thread.  I will have to look into it now.  :3

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 08:01:02 am »

Yes and why not kneepads and elbowguards and something for the hips,dont make more work for an already overworked toad.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 11:54:54 am »

I'm pretty sure there is no plate armor piece that also protects shoulders.  Check this thread out: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=51896.30 

The following edit to the breastplate raw makes it able to protect shoulders as if it had pauldrons, though I know that at least in the 14th and early 15th centuries, the shoulder protection was part of the arm harness, not the pieces of armor for the torso, and was secured to the arming garment underneath it all:

[ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_BREASTPLATE]
[NAME:breastplate:breastplates]
[ARMORLEVEL:3]
[UBSTEP:1]
[LBSTEP:1]

Also, it might be worth mentioning as it was mentioned in the thread I linked, there isn't any protection for the neck, either.  Modding the breastplate (or any other torso armour) to have UBSTEP:2 or UBSTEP:MAX makes it able to protect  the eyes, jaw, face, and ears. in addition to the throat which is sort of dumb...  There's no way to protect just the neck in DF.  You can't mod the helm to protect the neck, either, I don't think...

Perhaps a new thread with a compilation of suggested armor and body part system changes should be made if there isn't one already (and I don't think there is, though I haven't checked lately).  I might end up doing this myself or (ideally, if an old thread exists) necro an old thread about it.

On the neck issue. I'm pretty sure it wasn't till the 1600-1700, till they could completely encase a guy in metal. So armor from earlier would always have holes that a skilled fighter could capitalize on. I'm pretty sure neck was common, cause most people would rather be able to turn there head then to have guarded necks, because the field of vision of helmets was so narrow, you'd have to turn your whole body to see anybody, and you could just step left and be invisible to Urist McArmoredToMuch.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 12:34:42 pm »

On the neck issue. I'm pretty sure it wasn't till the 1600-1700, till they could completely encase a guy in metal. So armor from earlier would always have holes that a skilled fighter could capitalize on. I'm pretty sure neck was common, cause most people would rather be able to turn there head then to have guarded necks, because the field of vision of helmets was so narrow, you'd have to turn your whole body to see anybody, and you could just step left and be invisible to Urist McArmoredToMuch.

During the middle age chainmail hauberk and coifs were used, and those protected the neck too.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 01:46:08 pm »

Your sources for such a claim?  Here are a few of mine, if interested:

http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_mail.html
http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_gothic_armour.html
http://effigiesandbrasses.com/

There are some awesome books on the matter, as well, that I could recommend.  Should I make a thread with a list of simple reading of the history of arms and armour?  Where would I put this thread?

Yes and why not kneepads and elbowguards and something for the hips,dont make more work for an already overworked toad.

And knee defense and elbow defense already seems to be integrated in the greaves and gauntlets in DF.  If I had my way, I'd have all pieces of armor listed as separate and defending their appropriate areas, but if the armor and body part system was such that one could edit in the raws what protected what body part, I'd be cool with anything since I could just make things protect what they would in real life and/or abstract out parts of armour assuming they were integrated with other pieces.  Basically, I think the biggest problem is that the body system needs to be reworked.  Last I checked, Toady has a problem with it, too, and would like to rework it.

In response to the tone of the quoted suggestion:

Also, Toady One is a big boy.  If he doesn't give a shit, he won't do it, and it's not up to us, but up to him how much and what work he's gonna do.  A suggestion is NOT going to give Toady more work to do.  And suggestions, if properly constructed and with sources cited could actually save Toady some work.  Think about it.  If he wants to put something realistic in the game or model some sort of phenomenon, wouldn't it be helpful if there was already a nicely constructed suggestion with well researched material and links to appropriate sources so that he wouldn't have to spend as much time and money to look it up himself?  I can tell you as a professional researcher in the biological sciences, at least half of my time is spent looking crap up and reading through papers and books to get to relevant material.  Without well written review articles, things would be a whole hell of a lot more difficult for me and other scientists in my field (and others) even with the internet.  I'd imagine for Toady, and anyone else for that matter, it's no exception. 

tl;dr? Look below.

In other words, it doesn't matter if you or I or anyone cares or not about a suggestion.  Toady can take a suggestion or leave it.  He WON'T waste his time with stuff he doesn't want to put in, so a suggestion is NOT going to give Toady more work to do.  Cite your sources, people, and give thought to how to implement a suggestion.  If anything, do it for Toady so that if he does decide that a suggestion might have promise and might be in line with his vision for the game (which is most important), he doesn't waste his time reading unsubstantiated crap and having to look crap up and has something plausible to work with.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:11:03 pm by Andeerz »

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 10:24:46 pm »

chainmail was certainly able to cover the neck and shoulders. you basically had a metal hoodie.
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 01:43:24 am »

In that case, perhaps chain mail could be given properties that let it cover a larger area, including the head. Let's say that it includes a coif?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 06:21:12 am »

Personally, I'd just like for armour to be easier to tweak in the RAWs. Main things otherwise -

Chain mail should cover the neck, throat and head, like a "metal hoodie" as stated above.
Plate mail should either be renamed to cuirass (for accuracy) or have its protection extended to the shoulders and possibly the upper arms.
Helms should cover facial features.
Gauntlets and boots need to cover fingers and toes.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: [1] 2