Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: is this creepy? also platonic relationship starting help  (Read 13068 times)

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
Re: is this creepy? also platonic relationship starting help
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2010, 04:29:21 pm »

The 'retreating green' might be a metaphor I don't get. It might be that I'm not native English, and it might be that I'm stupid, but please, explain; What would 'retreating green' be a metaphor for?
Fall. Or envy. No one is envious of a lonlry girl, especially not in America. It all ties together.

Thats because everybody in america is a ronery girl.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2010, 04:29:49 pm »

See how it's shaped like a dick?
I still don't get it. :-/
Well, if he showed us the poem, after gushing about how good it is and how the topography is really interesting (protip: it's not, it adds nothing to the poem) if it turned out it was shaped like a dick it'd be clear he was joking and it would have actually been pretty funny.

But let's face it, showing a girl a poem shaped like a penis that's apparently about her gives him more of a chance then anything else he wants to try.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2010, 04:33:34 pm »

What I meant was that fail to see a penis on that paper, but whatever.

here's one of several analyses i've wrote on that brilliant poem.
Don't ever do this, I can understand praising oneself's work, but analyzing it? Christ, that's just way to much.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 04:58:13 pm by ILikePie »

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2010, 04:34:36 pm »

What I meant was that fail to see penis on that paper, but what ever.

Don't ever do this, I can understand praising oneself's work, but analyzing it?

Its like performing autofellatio then swallowing.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2010, 04:36:36 pm »

What I meant was that fail to see penis on that paper, but what ever.

There isn't one; it would have been better if there was.

Also, Huesoo, classy as ever.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2010, 04:52:53 pm »

I think I found your problem, WhiskerMeister. Click here for my analysis.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2010, 05:10:30 pm »

That's a little uncalled for, Grakelin. Yes, I mean it :( We could have had a platonic friendship.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2010, 05:22:35 pm »

also here's my notes and the original copy of the poem (i showed you my 'good' copy; this is the one i used for planning, on ugly graph paper. i have another copy i made as a practice one for the real one. poetry is hard. also i scanned it in at 150 dpi so it's not huge anymore. sorry about the illegible writing, but as it's a draft i'm the only one who was supposed to see it. hopefully you guys will get a better understanding of the feelings i poured into my work, at least.)

You're talking about metaphors, and I'm not quite sure I could say any of those are real metaphors.
"Retreating Green, Receding joy" sounds pretty cool, but that's the best part in the poem, to my opinion.
hey, that's one of my favorite parts too. it sounds kind of ominous. anyway, it meant to mean that, as she was comparing herself to the world beyond the window (i never specify the window, it's part of what makes it so great), she notices the grass is dying off as winter approaches, the bleak skies encompassing and overtaking what was once beautiful. she too, like a flower, has wilted -- she feels as though she's missed her chance to make friends, that she's spent too long alone.

Just a thing: very few people will make a totally subjective judgment on their own work, usually because they can't predict the responses of others. What you think is "deeply moving" might not be moving at all for others, so keep things like that in mind. It's like someone writing a book and saying it is the best book of this generation, it's ridiculous. An author can't really judge his work well.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2010, 05:26:37 pm »

POETRY
with Dasleah

Upon first glance of the poem one immediately brings to mind the classics of minimalism and kinetic writing - and how those poems are so much better than this. Whereas they use form, shape, flow of words from one position to the other to connect and invoke a number of feelings and connotations, this does none of that. The meaning of the poem is immediately obscured by the seemingly random placement of sentences - darting, dancing, from one side of the page to another, with seeming no reason or intent. Were the point of this seemingly epileptic placement of words to summon forth a feeling of unease and indecisiveness, of the rapid motion of one's eyes to completely unplanned and pointless areas of the page, then perhaps it can be said to work admirably in such a role. But form must not impede function, and here, form is buried under an approximate 17 tonnes of function.

Looking further at the role of capitalisation in the poem, we find that it somehow manages to spectacularly fail on levels that surely the greatest minds of our time will refuse to work on for generations to come. Capitalisation in poetry holds an important function - it denotes emphasis, boldness, volume. Where we to read this poem aloud taking those attributes into consideration, we would find ourselves doing a most awkward impersonation of a seal in heat with some manner of throat or lung infection - randomly barking, baying, and whooping up great gouts of flemmy nonsense.

To move onto the content of the poem, the immediate issue lies with the choice of title. The allusion to pace and music in no way connects to any other part of the poem and instantly we take issue with the poem lying to us. To imply such rhythm and deny it to us, to inform us of some steady, countable reason and then so deny us with a page of babble certainly inflames the passions against the author.

To continue onto the next lines "drops something, so easily lost amongst the crowd" we begin to strike at the heart of the poem. Combined with the previous mention of tapping, we can easily deduce that this poem concerns someone with some mental condition - a nervous tick or possibly obsessive-compulsive condition. Mentioning a crowd informs us of some manner of nervousness or anxiety issues. Through this, the author is informing us of their own deeply-held insecurities, afraid that the world ignores them, despite their problems that they hold so high upon a pedestal as if it is some manner of trophy or accomplishment. They take their issues and disorders and use it as a cover - an excuse, and rage against the rest of us for not acknowledging them for it. Such arrogance!

The poem's next lines - "JUST LIKE me. retreating green receding joy BUT i'm STILL HERE have you forgotten?" are a seemingly random jumble of words vomited forth onto the page. The previous stanza is certainly taken from the perspective of the author, talking to us, the reader. The 'just like me' confirms the character's need for validation and acceptance by the aforementioned 'crowd' (which we have understood to take as a larger facet - perhaps family, perhaps society, or some other social group of importance) They plead with the crowd to accept them - but notice the lower-case 'me'? Comparing it to the previous capitalisation of "JUST LIKE" this alludes that this need for acceptance and validation is thwarted by a sense of self-loathing. They do not place as much emphasis on themselves as they do the need for love - they consider themselves unworthy, unwanted, and believe this not to be the fault of the crowd, but as some integral part of their character, their very being. The last few lines here - "BUT i'm STILL HERE have you forgotten?" enforce this - notice the lower-case 'me' and the ending with a rhetorical question.

The middle lines regarding a retreating green and receding joy harken to an oft-held belief that all poetry must in some way be about nature. The imagery contributes nothing to the metaphor at hand, so is to be taken as simply confirmation of the author's own feelings of unworth and insecurity - they fall back on established tropes and norms rather than attempt originality or daring to rise against convention.

We continue onto the lines "i see myself in THEM ignored abandoned something THEY refuse to understand fear will not acknowledge." Here the character begins to rage, to hate, to rattle the cage of his actuality. Unable or perhaps unwilling to confront and alter their behaviour and issues that so isolate them from a society at large they wish to be acknowledged by, the rage out, in a most juvenile manner. They hate not for reason or logic, but because their immaturity drives them to assume that is the fault of the world around them, rather than themselves. The emphasis on 'THEM' and 'THEY' implies a strong anti-authoritarian stance, a clichéd hatred of 'The Man', some grand invisible spectre of authority that often the unimaginative and paranoid blame for the grand sum of their personal inability to contribute meaningfully to a society. This stanza informs us of the childishness of the main character - it allows us to re-read the previous stanzas in light of this revelation, revealing to us that the problems that so isolate them from their treasured social group is likely minor and perhaps too embarrassing for them to admit. They have a problem, but it is a minor and petty problem - one they refuse to acknowledge or admit, and so rather than change, they demand the world change around them.

We end the poem with the last lines "enclosed i am trapped scared Alone". Here the character undermines their previous statements - the rage, they rattle, and yet the refuse to take action. Apathy and indecisiveness traps them in their own self-enclosed world. They want to do something, but they cannot bring themselves to, through laziness or fear. They deliberately isolate themselves in some attempt to allay their fears and concerns with a persecution complex. Indeed, they are truly alone - a pathetic, small-minded, petty individual who would rather self-hate themselves into oblivion with imagined slights and insults, than ever truly amount to anything.

Overall we can see this poem ultimately tells the story of a petty and small person. They want to be part of something bigger, but ultimately fall short of any real action through their own need to feel special, to exist as king of their own created world.

I award you a D. This poem is by far not the best. It is clichéd, trite, small-minded, and lacks any true poetic soul or contributes at all to the artistic advancement of the human condition. It offers no great insights, no great commentaries about life and the delicate position of living. It is simply shallow, in every sense of the word. It is a petty thing to be taken at face-value, full of small emotions from a smaller mind.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2010, 05:37:22 pm »

Who was it, that said he's got the hugest mancrush on Dasleah before?
'Cause we might have to fight over him now.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2010, 05:45:08 pm »

But Dasleah.... AMERRCA D: Surely America. The lines are so reassuring, the paper so white and true, unblemished by coffee grounds or mustard. The right margin is faded, distant on the other side of the page. But should you only turn, you'll see it's not so distant after all, that there's more lines there to buoy up and give greater shape to the faults of another human poem, perhaps slightly better than the last. More lines for more potential, a place to start again.

The symbolism of the medium surely adds a layer of depth to the poem's true worth. Plus he really needs to pass this class. Can't you give him a break?
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2010, 06:04:58 pm »

Spoiler: SNIP (click to show/hide)
This is why I love Dasleah... in a platonic, uncreepy way of course.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2010, 06:15:57 pm »

Remember, people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there're still some things that makes us all the same. You... Me... Them... EVERYBODY!

everybody... needs somebody... to love!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2010, 06:17:24 pm »

Rhythmic Tapping has been struck down!

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2010, 06:51:15 pm »

The spinning +Awesome+ strikes Rhythmic Tapping in the lower left leg!
Rhythmic Tapping explodes from the force of the blow!

Rhythmic Tapping has been struck down!
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8