Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: is this creepy? also platonic relationship starting help  (Read 13082 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: is this creepy? also platonic relationship starting help
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 10:02:09 pm »

Lying to people about yourself usually doesn't do much to help you ingratiate yourself with them. Coupled with your obvious, massive overestimation of your own abilities and your glaring lack of any tact, or even any empathy, I don't think you're going to be able to pull off lying to her.

You should definitely post the stories and poetry, though. Maybe it's all legitimately good.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 10:08:33 pm »

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 10:16:37 pm »

As a female, I have to say: DON'T GIVE HER THE POEMS OR STORIES UNTIL YOU'VE BECOME BETTER FRIENDS.

If some weird, arrogant, loner, kid who I've seen in my classes a few times and never talked to handed me a bunch of poems and stories with me as the starring character, I'd be inclined to start carrying Mace. Also, lose the arrogance and self-centered viewpoints, it's a serious turnoff.

edit: whoa. Ø makes a really good point, actually. if i start to sit next to her, she'll become more comfortable with me slowly. i don't have to force anything. furthermore, it'd give me more time to actually look into what she likes and see if it interests me, that way i won't be pretending at all. this is pretty much the perfect plan.
...I really hope you're trolling?  ???
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 10:30:20 pm »

As a female, I have to say: DON'T GIVE HER THE POEMS OR STORIES UNTIL YOU'VE BECOME BETTER FRIENDS.

If some weird, arrogant, loner, kid who I've seen in my classes a few times and never talked to handed me a bunch of poems and stories with me as the starring character, I'd be inclined to start carrying Mace. Also, lose the arrogance and self-centered viewpoints, it's a serious turnoff.

edit: whoa. Ø makes a really good point, actually. if i start to sit next to her, she'll become more comfortable with me slowly. i don't have to force anything. furthermore, it'd give me more time to actually look into what she likes and see if it interests me, that way i won't be pretending at all. this is pretty much the perfect plan.
...I really hope you're trolling?  ???

Unless I misunderstood, the thing about his poetry being good was a joke. He's not seriously that arrogant, at least. His ironic tone just didn't carry well into the text, which is something that someone who needs advice to get a friend would believably not realize.

Also, I don't see how being a female has anything to do with this, this time. It'd be as weird if it was a guy he was writing these stories about.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 10:49:17 pm »

Whatever you do, don't do something just so that you can know what it is that she likes. Be yourself. It won't help you at all if she's friends with the imaginary person you're trying to create.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 10:51:57 pm »

Also, I don't see how being a female has anything to do with this, this time. It'd be as weird if it was a guy he was writing these stories about.

Because, as a female, I'd know when that would seriously creep the average member of my gender out? Then again, I guess it is common sense, so my gender is irreverent. It's a seriously bad idea, anyways, and I highly recommend against it.

@WhiskeyMeister: Sorry for not picking up on the sarcasm.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2010, 01:11:50 am »

Because, as a female, I'd know when that would seriously creep the average member of my gender out? Then again, I guess it is common sense, so my gender is irreverent. It's a seriously bad idea, anyways, and I highly recommend against it.

Ah, I see. I guess I just get sort of annoyed when I see the "as a female" line. It's used by more than a few annoying girls as a sort of "look at me! I'm a GIRL! ONLINE! GIMME ATTENTION BOYS!!!" and I hate that.
Hate. Hate hate hate. It's demeaning and damaging and undignified.
But in this case I see what you're saying.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:45:41 am by Renault »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2010, 01:38:43 am »

i'm going to build your expectations up so high, you'll expect something absolutely incredible. something so amazing you'll be awed by my brilliance. and then, when you see what it truly is, you'll be utterly stupefied by how it exceeds every preconceived notion you've developed.
Also, more relationship advice: sarcasm is not a humor substitute. It really depends on the person though. Generic joke telling is best saved for your guy friends. I found light hearted inside jokes/games to be the best. Remember that women have a completely different sense of humor than you're probably used to, so tread lightly.

You must be doing it wrong, but women appreciate my sarcasm and dubious wit far more than men do.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2010, 01:50:02 am »

i'm going to build your expectations up so high, you'll expect something absolutely incredible. something so amazing you'll be awed by my brilliance. and then, when you see what it truly is, you'll be utterly stupefied by how it exceeds every preconceived notion you've developed.
Also, more relationship advice: sarcasm is not a humor substitute. It really depends on the person though. Generic joke telling is best saved for your guy friends. I found light hearted inside jokes/games to be the best. Remember that women have a completely different sense of humor than you're probably used to, so tread lightly.

You must be doing it wrong, but women appreciate my sarcasm and dubious wit far more than men do.

I'd agree--though I cant say for Grakelins, heh--I've always thought girl humor is far more based on irony and wordplay then mens, which seems to revolve around crude jokes and insults.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2010, 01:53:11 am »

I'm way more witty and clever in real life than on the internet, I promise.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2010, 02:06:11 am »

You sound mysterious and lonely, the way you write poetry about girls that sound mysterious and lonely. The way you write everything down is also fascinating to me, perhaps the start of a psychosis, or a sign of genius.

I guess what I'm saying is, do you want to be platonic friends?
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2010, 04:57:45 am »

It's either the start of a beautiful friendship, or a story about what the internet is bad.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2010, 05:07:23 am »

I think Eagleon just won.

I'd agree--though I cant say for Grakelins, heh--I've always thought girl humor is far more based on irony and wordplay then mens, which seems to revolve around crude jokes and insults.
Everyone's going to have their own experiences on what kind of humor to use around women, though I will say that sarcasm is definitely a substitute for "men's humor". In fact, almost anything would be an acceptable substitute. Avoid at all costs.

you are fantasizing some grand romantic plot to manipulate this person into liking you
I'd say he's subject to a subconscious desire to present himself, the compulsion to throw himself headfirst into the selection process. Females are very selective and must choose only the best mates while males have pissing contests, show off, and can go through as many possible mates as fast as possible. Hence, guys have macho theatrical moves designed with the intent of getting a mate that incidentally will have him going from potential to next potential pretty fast. Or at least that's the explanation I'm told, but this still makes no sense in modern times, which I guess is just because it's that recent these things have really really changed from the standpoint I'm thinking of.

Oh, also, I'm just assuming your age and schooling here, but if you are where I think you are, it is imperative that you learn to think about and analyze all of your actions and interactions from someone else's perspective. Incidentally, the ability to understand and analyze your own compulsions to any degree is good as well. A girlfriend (or at the least friend that is a girl) around your age is good practice. You have to learn to be very self aware socially and build many connections, both of which will come in handy later. In fact, the practice is probably more important than this girl. The fact you had to ask the internet tells me you need the practice.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:14:38 am by Ø »

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2010, 05:52:19 am »

Twenty bucks OP fucks this up!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2010, 06:39:41 am »

It's time to post WORLD'S BEST RELATIONSHIP ADVICE!!!

Sample
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8