Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Colonization of the Americas mod  (Read 5880 times)

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Colonization of the Americas mod
« on: September 15, 2010, 02:18:19 pm »

So, I have a craving to make a total overhaul mod. Unfortunately, I cannot think of what to mod the game into. Any ideas?

Preferably something that hasn't been done yet, if possible.

Here is the current download:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3165
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 06:17:16 pm by Aramco »
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
Re: Total Overhaul Mod (I request Ideas)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 02:36:44 pm »

SeaLab 2021!  Using a race with a caste that can breathe under water to build and maintain the base, while the rest work inside.

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 02:38:34 pm »

Work on one of those mods that adds richness to the standard game, but doesn't depart from it too much.  Or make one.  I might even play it!

More underground life variety, more aboveground life variety.  More diverse versions of Humans, Elves, and Goblins.  Orcs as bigger meaner goblins (up to bronze armor) but mostly the same.  Try and hold off on things that seem cheap or like cheating.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 02:41:12 pm »

SeaLab 2021!  Using a race with a caste that can breathe under water to build and maintain the base, while the rest work inside.

Dwarves (Or whatever you are playing as) panic in water, regardless of being aquatic or not. Sites cannot be changed, so even if you could make it work, your parent civilization would not make underwater cities. All this would accomplish is making Dwarves drown out of water, and leave water if they are in it.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 02:44:53 pm »

Dwarves (Or whatever you are playing as) panic in water, regardless of being aquatic or not. Sites cannot be changed, so even if you could make it work, your parent civilization would not make underwater cities. All this would accomplish is making Dwarves drown out of water, and leave water if they are in it.

...so yeah...just like SeaLab then...

...Pod 6...I hate those guys...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 02:45:48 pm »

I agree with the idea of expanding underground life, particularly underground water creatures. Right now we have giant olms, cave crocodiles, giant toads, pond grabbers, and cave blobs. I want more life in my flooded caverns.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 03:00:03 pm »

I agree with the idea of expanding underground life, particularly underground water creatures. Right now we have giant olms, cave crocodiles, giant toads, pond grabbers, and cave blobs. I want more life in my flooded caverns.

Maybe I could expand them as a part of my mod. This could be going somewhere interesting...

EDIT: Actually, I looked in the raws, and there are quite a few underground creatures. One in particular stood out...

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:FLOATING_GUTS]
[ARENA_RESTRICTED]
[DESCRIPTION:A transparent and amorphous monster that lives underground.  It is small in size and is found crawling across the cavern floor.  Its organs appear to be floating inside of its body.]
[NAME:floating guts:floating guts:floating guts]
[CASTE_NAME:floating guts:floating guts:floating guts]
[CREATURE_TILE:'%'][COLOR:7:0:0]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:2:3]
[PETVALUE:10]
[PET_EXOTIC]
[LARGE_ROAMING]
[FREQUENCY:10]
[EXTRAVISION][NOBREATHE][NOSTUN][NONAUSEA][NOEMOTION]
[NOTHOUGHT]
[NOBONES]
[NATURAL]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:250:500]
[PREFSTRING:freakish appearance]
[BODY:BASIC_1PARTBODY:HEART:GUTS]
[NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:BONE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:HAIR]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:BONE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE]
[HAS_NERVES]
[SPEED:2900]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:ICHOR:ICHOR_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:ICHOR:LIQUID]
[CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
[GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PUS:PUS_TEMPLATE]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:PUS:LIQUID]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:20000]
[MAXAGE:15:30]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[NO_SLEEP]
[NO_DIZZINESS]
[NO_FEVERS]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:CLEAR:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:skin:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:FAT]
[TLCM_NOUN:fat:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:MUSCLE]
[TLCM_NOUN:fat:SINGULAR]

I don't understand how this can make sense.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 03:03:05 pm by Aramco »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 03:15:37 pm »

Giant land-dwelling amoeba thing.

There are a lot of underground creatures, but very few of them live in the water, which is bad for people like me who insist on [CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:100].
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 03:17:32 pm »

There is only one aquatic cave  creature, I could make more of those.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 03:18:13 pm »

This is pretty much what I've been doing in terms of modding. I like the idea of the caverns, but they always felt like they lacked diversity when I was constantly being swarmed by trogs. So I've modded in a lot of new underground creatures. Most of them are pretty basic, since I kept making more of them as I learned about mods. I could probably make some more complex ones right now, but I'm taking a break from modding until my next fort. I want to see if the stuff I made actually works properly.

I don't think I made many water animals though. Which is weird since I bothered to make the bodies for hermit crabs and shrimp yet never did anything with them.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 03:23:21 pm »

Actually, you could just make some of the pre-made creatures cave-dwellers, a lot of them should be in caves but are not.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 01:21:22 pm »

How about Dwarf 2010?  Make all the graphics modern looking.  Is there a way to have multiple tilesets at the same time?  If so, you could have office space, science labs, residences, maybe skyscraper / glass buildings.....  Not really sure where this would go though.  Could you change it so that instead of building things at workshops you did research at research stations and traded stocks and...eh heck...I don't know.

Ok, heres another modern idea.  You are a construction crew or group of people who survived word war 3.  You have to build a fortress / compound / skyscraper / whatever.  Waves of zombies or mutated creatures could throw themselves at your defenses.  Other survivors could find you and ask for asylum...maybe they will mutate later, maybe they won't.  Hey, mutations could be a neet thing to play with.  Maybe you could mutate into a slobbering killing machine and wipe out everyone at your base or maybe you can mutate into the same slobbering killing machine and remember who you are and keep helping your group.  Or maybe a super genius but with a strong craving for live cat.  Maybe you could setup trade relations with other groups (Humans, mutants, Ghouls, etc) that are in your world or maybe they will want to eat you... 

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 01:35:50 pm »

How about Dwarf 2010?  Make all the graphics modern looking.  Is there a way to have multiple tilesets at the same time?  If so, you could have office space, science labs, residences, maybe skyscraper / glass buildings.....  Not really sure where this would go though.  Could you change it so that instead of building things at workshops you did research at research stations and traded stocks and...eh heck...I don't know.

Ok, heres another modern idea.  You are a construction crew or group of people who survived word war 3.  You have to build a fortress / compound / skyscraper / whatever.  Waves of zombies or mutated creatures could throw themselves at your defenses.  Other survivors could find you and ask for asylum...maybe they will mutate later, maybe they won't.  Hey, mutations could be a neet thing to play with.  Maybe you could mutate into a slobbering killing machine and wipe out everyone at your base or maybe you can mutate into the same slobbering killing machine and remember who you are and keep helping your group.  Or maybe a super genius but with a strong craving for live cat.  Maybe you could setup trade relations with other groups (Humans, mutants, Ghouls, etc) that are in your world or maybe they will want to eat you...

A bit complicated? I like it.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 04:29:24 pm »

How about a Colonisation Of The Americas mod? You could even include a mostly true-to-life map if you really wanted to.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 06:42:17 pm »

My idea was pretty cool but I noticed the wasteland mod the other day and think it would be very close to that so it's kinda already done.  Sorry.

Now Jake's Civ Dwarf idea, that does sound pretty cool....or has it been done also.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5