Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Russian programmer kill DF!!  (Read 8282 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian programmer kill DF!!
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2010, 10:41:23 pm »

This is textbook "Daily Mail Reader" syndrome. In which, something gets innacurately reported with a heavy amount of negative bias, and then the readers mindlessly follow along in the same mindset and start raging without doing any research themselves. The truth, more often than not, is far more harmless than how it was portrayed originally.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2010, 10:48:12 pm »

Someone who wants to make a russian version of DF with more mouse versions. If my word had any say, i'd say "support this".

Seriously, whats the big deal? If they wanted it for one part of the community, you could leave it at that and let them have it. And look what they did. They made an adventure mode with digging abilities, and mining abilities, and woodcutting abilities. (i think...)

Think about it, DF is moddable, and most came to do just that: mod it. If they want to make a version that doesn't use the keyboard so often, let them. Makes it easier on my hands to remember where all the almost-blank keys on my keyboard needs to move to. And lets be honest. I bet at least 15% of this community or more wanted a mouse UI.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2010, 11:18:04 pm »

Seriously guys? You believe it? Really, take a nice long look at the screenshots in that thread. It's obvious that this 'game' consists of gif animations, and screenshots of DF in a fake UI.
!!&!!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2010, 11:29:23 pm »

After the stuff that went on in GC I take all rogue-likes vaguely or closely similar to dwarf fortress in open arms.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2010, 11:36:13 pm »

oooo, i really like the idea of this being another hoax. how fun!
I got nothing

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2010, 11:36:22 pm »

Seriously guys? You believe it? Really, take a nice long look at the screenshots in that thread. It's obvious that this 'game' consists of gif animations, and screenshots of DF in a fake UI.
One of the SS posted here did seem like DF with an overlay. *shrugs*
Wait, is that camera man trying to get upskirt shots of the russian cop chicks?
Well, duh. In soviet russia, panties peep you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2010, 11:37:47 pm »

oooo, i really like the idea of this being another hoax. how fun!

For some reason, I had exactly the same reaction, as opposed to RAEG.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2010, 12:34:05 am »

I downloaded the game and tried it out even tried translating it

ofcouse trying to hover over the buttons would make it crash.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2010, 01:34:52 am »

I don't think DF is a realistically stealable concept or design. It isn't even finished yet. However, it'd personally irk me if someone took the name of my game and tacked an 'online' qualifier onto the end. Just something for the russian devs to consider - you might not have even gotten any notice here whatsoever if it weren't for that.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Slania

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2010, 02:01:35 am »

This thread is pointless.
Game even not in public beta testing and developing by only 1 month, but you expect many. I can tell you, that game name is not a dwarf fortress online, (this working title it's used just for private demos in dfwk imageboard), I can tell you that game have own site and it's not a hoax, I can tell you many other things, but what point? Even ever second post in this thread with nazi notes. Just Ctrl+F "russia" and Highlight all matches in your web browser and you will see what I mean. There is no way to any constructive discussion at this moment, I think.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:03:24 am by Slania »

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2010, 02:20:12 am »

Not with that attitude little mister.

Seriously I laughed. This is when it pays off to be levelheaded. OP should probably close up topic, I agree that it isn't likely to get much more civil, because things are generally uncivil on both sides. It's almost impossible to get an international copyright lawsuit going without massive amounts of resources, anyway, so it's pointless even if he were actually infringing on something blatant like the name. Which we now know he's not planning to.

*popcorn*
Music, Ballpoint

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2010, 02:21:56 am »

I don't think DF is a realistically stealable concept or design. It isn't even finished yet. However, it'd personally irk me if someone took the name of my game and tacked an 'online' qualifier onto the end. Just something for the russian devs to consider - you might not have even gotten any notice here whatsoever if it weren't for that.

Doesn't really matter if it's stealable or not, you can't protect an idea. The art assets are ascii so also public domain, the music and name would belong to Toady I believe.

To be honest it's not as though DF is a particularly novel concept, it's just an interesting implementation and a good world generator. Cloning the mechanics of the game wouldn't take long, building the world generator that takes everything DF does into consideration is a major undertaking.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2010, 02:27:45 am »

Well, the world generator is part of the concept. People miss that, and stuff like this happens. It's ultimately meant to be a fantasy interactive story generator, in a sort of bending-over-backwards, make the dust and elf farts parts first way, and the incredible thing is that it's sort of starting to get to a point where that can work (though you could argue that it has been for years). That's what I mean that it'd be difficult if not impossible to steal. Something like this will always end up being absolutely unique, unless you work through it analytically. There's just too much personality invested in it by Toady.
Music, Ballpoint

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2010, 02:32:38 am »

Well, the world generator is part of the concept.

This is true, I tend to think the fortress building part when I think of DF as it's the bit I enjoy. (Although actually I miss the old 2d version, down is not as good as right was). Taking the game as a whole your point is of course true.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2010, 03:32:32 am »

HOW DARE ANYONE EVER MAKE A GAME THAT IS SIMILAR TO THIS GAME THAT MOST OF US LIKE

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT DWARF FORTRESS
Inorite?  I am a huge fan of metroidvania games, and I know I would be terribly offended if someone else made another game where you explored a large side-scrolling world while collecting movement upgrades.  TERRIBLY.  OFFENDED.  I would probably play them to death that's how much I would hate them.  And if one of them took place with a (mostly) spacesuited hero on an alien world trying to save the universe from a galactic menace, and dared to have upgrades like "jump higher" and "missiles"...well, that would be intellectual property theft.  Plain and simple.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6