Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No more immigrants  (Read 768 times)

telarin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No more immigrants
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:42:49 pm »

It has been many, many seasons since my fortress has seen new immigrants. Each year a Dwarven diplomat and caravan arrive as expected, and each year the traders leave happily with 20 to 30k worth of locally produced goods, yet each year, migrants seem to shun my fortress. My civilizations screen shows the dwarven civilization has a king, general, and diplomat, so I assume the civilization is not dead (especially since I get a caravan and diplomat visiting me each year). My fortress wealth is in excess of 53 million, with more created each season. What could be causing this lack of immigrants? I lose one or two dwarves per year to various causes, and it is only a matter of time before this slow attrition does my fortress in.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No more immigrants
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 12:47:37 pm »

The default population cap is 200. If your pop is over this then you won't get any immigrants. It can be changed in one of the INIT files. Check the civilisation screen to see if your home civ is indeed alive.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 12:57:05 pm »

Also note: this population cap includes your dead.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 12:59:31 pm »

Er, no it doesn't...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 01:03:13 pm »

Could have sworn that was somethign which bit Nist Akath at some point, maybe it got resolved long ago.
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

telarin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 02:01:02 pm »

My population is hovering right around 80 dwarves at the moment. Guess I'll have to unbusy everyone for a while and see if I can't get some dwarves to marry and start popping out little ones.

telarin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 09:36:15 am »

After almost 15 years with no immigrants, I finally got:

Some migrants have decided to brave this terrifying place, knowing it may be their tomb.

I've never seen such a dark message for arriving migrants. Is this simply due to losing a couple waves of incoming migrants at some point scaring the rest off for a while?

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 09:40:08 am »

I got that message with some immigrants once after all these things happened:
- losing one dwarf to a gob assault
- having two forgotten beasts arrive and vanish again
- having one siege arrive
- having one titan arrive (getting killed by the goblins without problems)
- the siege leaves
- another forgotten beast kills three woodcutters and then gets killed (with two hits...)

There was no caravan in the meantime so I wonder what makes them say that...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 09:51:13 am »

After almost 15 years with no immigrants, I finally got:

Some migrants have decided to brave this terrifying place, knowing it may be their tomb.

I've never seen such a dark message for arriving migrants. Is this simply due to losing a couple waves of incoming migrants at some point scaring the rest off for a while?
Hmm, is weird that you'd go almost 15 years without any, but migrants are sensitive to death counts in your fort. Usually a constant stream of exports convinces them to try their luck anyway but yes, migrants do care if previous migrants died.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 09:56:23 am »

That's a new bug for .13.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 10:21:34 am »

That is awesome.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 11:23:08 am »

Oh man... if that was true my current fortress would be a ghost town.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 11:25:40 am »

It has been many, many seasons since my fortress has seen new immigrants. Each year a Dwarven diplomat and caravan arrive as expected, and each year the traders leave happily with 20 to 30k worth of locally produced goods, yet each year, migrants seem to shun my fortress. My civilizations screen shows the dwarven civilization has a king, general, and diplomat, so I assume the civilization is not dead (especially since I get a caravan and diplomat visiting me each year). My fortress wealth is in excess of 53 million, with more created each season. What could be causing this lack of immigrants? I lose one or two dwarves per year to various causes, and it is only a matter of time before this slow attrition does my fortress in.

Copy paste your save and go into legends or adventure mode. This'll give you a chance to check out the topography the dwarves have to deal with in order to get to your fortress. Also, if there is something about the dwarven civ that is preventing them from reaching you maybe it'll be more obvious in either of the two modes.

Personally i suspect that the dwarven civ may be alive but is simply isolated from you or has a very low population.

bungler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 12:07:51 am »

I got this immigrants also, but it seems to be ignoring my population cap. I have a pop cap of 100, the population is 120 (due to births) and I got 6 immigrants, a calf, a colt, a donkey and a kitten. There may be a bug ignoring pop caps??

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 12:16:16 am »

I've also seen immigrants ignoring pop caps.  Of course, there's an easy fix: kill them and it will scare off future migrants.