Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Items as weapons in Fortress Mode?  (Read 411 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Items as weapons in Fortress Mode?
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:18:30 pm »

I'm only a Dabbling modder myself, so I have no idea if this is possible, but I'd just like to ask:

Can misc items like Toys be flagged as weapons? What about clothing, or rocks? Bodyparts?

I'm just thinking about how much fun it is in Adventure Mode to use random objects as deadly blugeoning weapons, and I'd quite enjoy seeing the same thing done in Fortress Mode.

If it's possible, then this is my excuse to make my first real mod. I won't rest until I have squads of loincloth-weilding stranglers patrolling the halls and lobbers throwing musical instruments at wandering goats. Bonus points if it makes them explode.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Items as weapons in Fortress Mode?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 01:50:29 pm »

Not yet, sadly. You can create stats for them in item_weapon if you really want to, but then you'll see caravan guards turn up wielding them. You'd probably have to change the descriptor entry so that they're called things like "weaponised steel toy hammer" as well for the sake of your own sanity, even if a toy and a weapon with the same descriptor doesn't send worldgen into nervous breakdown mode.
Depending what approach Toady takes in introducing the extra tools mentioned on the dev page, however, this might become possible in the next version.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!