Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: New strange things in 31.13  (Read 14950 times)

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New strange things in 31.13
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2010, 08:02:50 am »

My dwarf civ is called "urist usan, the dagger of murdering" its not a bug, but its very cool :P.
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2010, 11:18:30 am »

Hey, is anyone else not getting any ambushes or sieges in the new version?  I've tried two forts, the second one I even set up a fort in a tiny scrap of land between dark fortress farmlands.  Both were built up and up for several game years, yet not one single goblin or even kobold has shown their face.  Everyone else visits the trade depot (dwarves, humans, prancers).  The goblin civ was noted in the embark screen.  What's the deal?
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2010, 11:28:49 am »

[INVADERS:NO]?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

thedude72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2010, 11:33:10 am »

Hey, is anyone else not getting any ambushes or sieges in the new version?  I've tried two forts, the second one I even set up a fort in a tiny scrap of land between dark fortress farmlands.  Both were built up and up for several game years, yet not one single goblin or even kobold has shown their face.  Everyone else visits the trade depot (dwarves, humans, prancers).  The goblin civ was noted in the embark screen.  What's the deal?

I've got that same issue. Where does one turn invaders off and on? I looked in the init file

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2010, 11:37:33 am »

[INVADERS:NO]?

No, d_init.txt says [INVADERS:YES].  I'm using my same init files from the previous version...  did this move?
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Leeko

• Bay Watcher
  • Wab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2010, 12:28:23 pm »

Does .13 take invaders from nearby populations like migrants? The goblin civ could have been depopulated.
"Asen Zoz, 'The Gravel of Pondering' - This is a Alunite Harp. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of Blossomeven the Cold Tactics the perfect precious fire opal in Precious fire opal."

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2010, 12:33:28 pm »

Does .13 take invaders from nearby populations like migrants? The goblin civ could have been depopulated.

That's a possibility..  How can I test this?  Legends?  Adventure mode?
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2010, 02:01:07 pm »

In pretty much every released version of DF (even the old 2D versions, best I can tell), siege/ambush squad leaders are taken from civ populations, which is why you can get goblin squads led by humans, dwarves, and even elves; however, the other squad members are all generated from thin air. Once you depopulate the civilization, though, then the leaders are generated from thin air but with higher skill levels (and sometimes this happens early for sieges while ambushes keep sending civ members).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2010, 02:59:57 pm »

Clearly, the goblins are too busy farming.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2010, 03:04:24 pm »

I see what you did there. >.>

I'm personally not going to try .13 yet. Not enough time, and from what I read in this thread, probably not worth it yet.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2010, 05:22:34 pm »

So, remember I mentioned getting 24 dorfs on wave 3?  I got another dozen or so on wave 4, and was in the process of making my first military unit some iron weapons (hadn't located flux stones yet) when ... a goblin ambush.

Those 6 goblin macemen rolled my 50 dwarves like a grandma by a greyhound bus. :(  On the bright side, I learned how to designate kill orders, and tell my units to station at a particular place.  (8 soldiers, who had been sparring for 3 months, some iwth weapons ... 2 left after the first run in with gobbos ... the miners faired a little better -- 4 were still alive out of the original 7 when the ambush started.)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2010, 06:32:14 pm »

Apparently, dark fortresses are now simply GIGANTIC, there's LOTS of them (there's four in a row here and I didn't even move from default selection!) and you can't embark on them. Unless I'm missing something.

I just tried a game with this build, after a break, and wondered what the hell was going on with the world. In earlier versions (like a year or two back) I never found locating a suitable embarkation too time consuming. Just a matter of choosing hot/cold, tame/wild and so on to set the challenge level to what I wanted. But progressively over the period, as I dip in and out of the game, I find the default worldgen creates worlds where I spend more and more time just trying to find somewhere reasonable. Almost everywhere has an aquifer unless it's a desert and in this build I ended up with a world that's roughly 60% salt water. Whole blocks of regions were given over to constructions as Dariush describes.

Is it worth tinkering with custom builds or would I be better off taking another break and hope that worldgen is somewhat more sane in future builds?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2010, 06:35:22 pm »

Use 31.12 if you don't like the sprawl.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2010, 06:48:46 pm »

Use 31.12 if you don't like the sprawl.
I can confirm from personal experience the game doesn't care about the world being from 31.12, even if you are running it in 31.13, as thats how my current world was made (gen world, move region folder to 31.13 directory, embark).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2010, 03:18:44 am »

I can confirm from personal experience the game doesn't care about the world being from 31.12, even if you are running it in 31.13, as thats how my current world was made (gen world, move region folder to 31.13 directory, embark).

Thanks, I'll give that a try. The last version I tried, a 30.* one, was OK on the world build but military dwarves didn't train so got slaughtered when the ambushes arrived so I'd like to give a later build a go.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7