Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: New strange things in 31.13  (Read 14967 times)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New strange things in 31.13
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2010, 12:43:29 am »

wow, thanks

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2010, 01:35:15 am »

Heh, that sounds like my, "hey, why won't these stupid dorfs move the stones I designated to my quantum stone pile? ... oops, haven't told them to collect refuse outdoors yet. /facepalm" (strip mined a hill for the coal/lignite and junk stones for crafts, d-b-d to move it all near the mason/craft workshops ... or so I thought ...)

The oddest thing for me (31.12 world gen, copied over the region folder then embarked and playing in 31.13) was getting 8 on my 1st wave, 7 on my 2nd, and 24 dwarves on my 3rd wave (all at the "normal" times).  No oddball professions that I've noticed, though I had to save/quit before I'd thoroughly checked the newest 24.

Of course, the first 8 showed up despite "knowning it would lead to their deaths", and the next seven in spite of it "being against their better judgement" (or something like that) ... then, before I'd gotten the real bedrooms fully dug out and furnished (bed+chest) I get 24 more ... now I'm even further behind on bed production ... /sigh.  I wonder if its all the block walls I used to fill gaps from mining out those coal veins I put my bedrooms/workshops in?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
  • Diabeetus makes you sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2010, 05:09:45 am »

Now that I think of it, I had something pretty odd happen on a reclaim on my last map.

I reclaimed with the usual crew of two miners, two farmers, a mason, mechanic, and carpenter/surgeon, with everybody doing something else as back-up.

Nobody had any skills worthy of he military.

I had 6 Legendary wrestlers, and one legendary axe-dwarf.

I found that out when a cyclops decided to drop by and say hello, and I noticed that, not only were all of the casualties legendary, but even the ones who survived were...

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2010, 05:51:53 am »

Wow, abandoned forts no longer create unembarkable squares of useless land  :o
ALL HAIL TOADY!

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2010, 06:46:07 am »

Pretty sure migration is bugged, pretty heavily actually. I'm not getting the first two "Out of thin air" waves at all.

It means taking a military dwarf on embark is more or less mandatory.

Reni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2010, 08:48:54 am »

Pretty sure migration is bugged, pretty heavily actually. I'm not getting the first two "Out of thin air" waves at all.

It means taking a military dwarf on embark is more or less mandatory.
Same thing happened to me, i was already wondering wheter changing the limit to 7 dwarfes caused this but it didn't. In fact it didn't change anything at all, 3 migrant waves later i now have ~40 dwarfs and no idea what to do with them.
"Be polite; write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness."
Otto von Bismarck

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2010, 04:28:38 am »

I just got a rather strange migrant. He came with soldier skills, and has gained skills since. He can be assigned labours and he carries them out like usual. He does, however, not have a profession. Not even "peasant". His colour is fisherdwarf's blue, but he doesn't have any fisher skills (and the soldier colour is speardwarf's brown). Finally, he doesn't seem to gain any relations. He's been training with my militia commander and tending the 'room-fields for about two seasons, but he hasn't even gained "passing acquaintance" with anyone, and nobody seem to be acquainted with him.
The only other migrant in the wave, however, is doing fine, besides being a baby at the time of arrival. :D
Love, scriver~

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2010, 07:20:24 am »

I just got a rather strange migrant. He came with soldier skills, and has gained skills since. He can be assigned labours and he carries them out like usual. He does, however, not have a profession. Not even "peasant". His colour is fisherdwarf's blue, but he doesn't have any fisher skills (and the soldier colour is speardwarf's brown). Finally, he doesn't seem to gain any relations. He's been training with my militia commander and tending the 'room-fields for about two seasons, but he hasn't even gained "passing acquaintance" with anyone, and nobody seem to be acquainted with him.
The only other migrant in the wave, however, is doing fine, besides being a baby at the time of arrival. :D
you have the most antisocial dwarf ever. Wall him up somewhere with statues, decent furniture/beds, food/booze, and make him bookkeeper. He is your failsafe as he cannot tantrum from the deaths of other dorfs.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2010, 12:30:20 pm »

I just realised I was mistaken. Checking up on him to see if his combat skills had increased, I noticed that there was indeed a fisherdwarf skill that I had missed. Turning off truetype also made his window state the profession, it seems truetype couldn't write out his full last name, and thus cut the whole line (you know, "Urist Cogurist, Fisherdwarf") short.
Love, scriver~

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2010, 12:55:17 pm »

Out of curiosity, what do the Thoughts and Preferences for these strange migrants (merchants, drunks, war/hunting peasants) look like? Do they contain any material/food preferences, or are they blank (like they are with creatures created during worldgen, e.g. your King/Queen)?

I recently got a Legendary (though no-skills) Peasant who had an unhappy thought because she lost her position when she entered the screen. I need to check Legends and see if she was a Liason or something similar along those lines.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2010, 01:38:31 pm »

I got one of those "Some migrants have decided to brave this terrifying place knowing it may be their tomb" despite nothing that would remotely indicate it would be terrifying (okay, besides the fact that it is a terrifying biome (in name only... there's not even sliver barbs or glumprong, let alone undead or terrifying animals  :-\))

Also they all seem to be rather skilled military dwarves.  Though that might be deliberate if something is making them think the place is dangerous.  (Also this is the autumn wave; didn't get a summer one)

So really it's just that it's deciding it's more dangerous than it really is.  That or its detecting the terrifying biome while ignoring its lack of undead or otherwise hostile creatures.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2010, 01:45:31 pm »

Give me this dwarf.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2010, 02:04:53 pm »

Farming seems to have stopped working after a couple seasons. The farming plot flashes between planted plot and images of mushrooms, and the farmers go to the field to tend it, but no one collects crops from the fields. Farming stopped, and the food stores have emptied out.

Here is the Saved game if anyone is interested.
You have harvest turned off in the orders menu.
o - f to turn it on.

That's not the harvest order. The "harvest" order is (o)-(h) and controls whether or not non-farmers are permitted to harvest crops. The toggle you mentioned is for food hauling - when turned off, the crops are harvested but just get left sitting on top of the farm plot (hence the blinking). Normally, they'd wither after a few months, but there's a bug in the raws that causes plants to never rot (just add [ROTS] to the appropriate template in material_template_default.txt).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

grekern

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2010, 04:42:13 pm »

Hmm only me that had a strange pathing bug? One of my dorfs went outside to grab sonething and bring it to a stockpile, suddenly when he was on the path back he walked straight in a small pool of water, it looked like the item he held was just there to weight him down so that he could drown, sad... bug?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2010, 06:53:44 am »

Sadly, today I noticed that Libash "Strangepants" Ledkälán, Speardwarf, is no longer an antisocial asshole. Reviewing earlier saves reveals that it happened at the time of the immigrant wave of the second spring. Just before; no relations whatsoever (and take in mind, this being a dwarf that has spend all his time sparring/training with my militia commander, or just hanging around the lunchroom), and a short time afterwards; Libash is acquainted with the whole fortress (although it's really more of a hole in the ground at the moment).
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7