Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: New strange things in 31.13  (Read 14969 times)

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
Re: New strange things in 31.13
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2010, 10:23:56 am »

Yeah, I found that people are too terrified to migrate to my fortress, apparently because it has an eerie fatality rate of zero.

To be fair for your average fort, run by the sadistic people on these forums, zero is pretty eerie and so your dwarves figure you must be up to something really bad.

"And now I will force them all to live extremely long lives."
"How is that bad?"
"Well see, in each of their rooms, I've placed two cages.  One has a forgotten beast.  The other has a plump helmet man.  There is one lever in each of their rooms.  Every lever locks every door, and opens one of the cages.  They MIGHT get to have a wonderful, still-living meal.  On the other hand, they might die."
"...You sadistic evil bastard."
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2010, 12:10:55 pm »

I haven't read this properly but what's wrong with the world gen? I'm staying on .12 for now.
Are the civs growing ok? Is it unembarkable because of farms?

Sometimes the sprawl gets a bit out of control; I haven't run out of places to embark, but they aren't always the best places. Part of the problem is that settlements are getting destroyed/abandoned during worldgen and aren't getting removed, so there will be region-sized blocks marked as settlements (unembarkable) with nobody in them. Also, it takes a lot longer to generate a world in this version; maybe 10 times longer at the default world size. (I haven't timed it out, that's just an estimate.)

I've still got .12 forts going, so I can wait for the next version to gen new ones.

Mekboy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEGABEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2010, 12:49:59 pm »

Yeah, I found that people are too terrified to migrate to my fortress, apparently because it has an eerie fatality rate of zero.

To be fair for your average fort, run by the sadistic people on these forums, zero is pretty eerie and so your dwarves figure you must be up to something really bad.

They think that since you've obviously gone to such lengths to hush up the number of deaths, pretty much everyone there dies.
Quote from: CatalystParadox
Aw, Mekboy! A song for meeeee?
You're so sweet.  Why don't you just come in here so I can give you a hug.
... bring my pants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2010, 02:11:13 pm »

I've just tried reclaim because I picked a slightly shitty embark location, moved it a bit and ... there's the wagon from previous embark with all the stuff very conveniently still loaded in it.  I guess the scatter-on-reclaim stuff has been taken out, which I think is good and bad (very tempting to abuse).

correction, the food has been dragged around, which is actually pretty sensible - what wild animal is going to drag a friggin anvil around the map anyway?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 02:26:50 pm by FleshForge »

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
  • Diabeetus makes you sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2010, 03:30:30 pm »

I encountered the same thing after many, many, many world gens this morning - outside of 5 years it's impossible to embark.  I also discovered playing as a dead civ is now nearly impossible - after at least 50 gens using parameters from .12 that reliably produced dead dwarf civs, the dwarfs were thriving.

(Good timing for this mess, as I won't be playing DF much until next year, thanks to College Football and Halo: Reach.  Problems should be worked out by then....)

Up the volcanism parameters, especially the minimum volcanoes in the world.

I like not having to dig for magma, so I figured, "What could it hurt?"

No civs. None. No goblins, no humans, no elves, no dwarfs.

After 4 embarks as the only living civilization on the planet, I genned a new world with less volcanoes/volcanism and everything was normal again. Try it out.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2010, 03:49:03 pm »

I didn't get the first two waves of migrants. I waited a year and then got a wave of 24, which I'm pretty sure is higher than the maximum limit for the initial waves, the ones which are made up.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2010, 03:58:34 pm »

I just got a legendary swordsdwarf in my second migrant wave, apparently, he's also a fish dissector.

Pic:

He also dropped all his armor when he showed up, lol he must be a warrior trying to forget his horrible past, I vow to look him up in legends someday
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 04:05:11 pm by Heliman »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2010, 06:26:53 pm »

Out of curiosity, what do the Thoughts and Preferences for these strange migrants (merchants, drunks, war/hunting peasants) look like? Do they contain any material/food preferences, or are they blank (like they are with creatures created during worldgen, e.g. your King/Queen)?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dwarfnorris101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2010, 07:47:30 pm »

i got a legendary axedorf in my first .13 wave..first wave in god knows how many years...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2010, 07:58:56 pm »

Out of curiosity, what do the Thoughts and Preferences for these strange migrants (merchants, drunks, war/hunting peasants) look like? Do they contain any material/food preferences, or are they blank (like they are with creatures created during worldgen, e.g. your King/Queen)?
The Merchant and the Thief that showed up as immigrants in my fortress both have perfectly normal thoughts and preferences, just like every other dwarf.  They are also forming relationships with other dwarves normally, and will both happily do no-labor jobs like harvesting plants, pulling levers, and deconstructing walls.  I just can't assign any labors to them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2010, 08:57:04 pm »

Same with my drunk, It's like he's a noble who makes no mandates and needs no established room. It eats, drinks and does all the default labors, only I CAN'T CHANGE THEM.

Impudence12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2010, 09:00:15 pm »

The new version of dwarf therapist allows you to change their labors. I got a trained war peasant!
♪ This used to be a Funhouse ♫
♫ But now it's full of evil clowns ♪
♪ It's time to start the countdown ♫
♫ I'm gonna burn it down, down, down ♪

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2010, 09:01:28 pm »

Same with my drunk, It's like he's a noble who makes no mandates and needs no established room. It eats, drinks and does all the default labors, only I CAN'T CHANGE THEM.

Make him a noble. I had a drunk for a king once in 31.12.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2010, 11:56:49 pm »

Farming seems to have stopped working after a couple seasons. The farming plot flashes between planted plot and images of mushrooms, and the farmers go to the field to tend it, but no one collects crops from the fields. Farming stopped, and the food stores have emptied out.

Here is the Saved game if anyone is interested.

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2010, 12:27:10 am »

Farming seems to have stopped working after a couple seasons. The farming plot flashes between planted plot and images of mushrooms, and the farmers go to the field to tend it, but no one collects crops from the fields. Farming stopped, and the food stores have emptied out.

Here is the Saved game if anyone is interested.
You have harvest turned off in the orders menu.
o - f to turn it on.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7