Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: New strange things in 31.13  (Read 14946 times)

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
Re: New strange things in 31.13
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2010, 08:25:40 am »

I've run about 5 forts up to ~4 million wealth, 6 or 7 years each and haven't seen any goblins or kobolds. The goblins are definitely active and listed on the embark screen. Trying now with a world imported from .12.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2010, 08:29:06 am »

You all have invaders turned on, right?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2010, 08:29:16 am »

I'm getting the exact opposite, actually.

3 squad ambushes on the second year at just under 10k wealth, on 3 different forts.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2010, 08:39:32 am »

Yeah I've left invaders on this whole time. In this .12-generated world I just saw a kobold, and he stole a masterwork aluminum flask. Bastard. This is on 26 Obsidian 1051, so first winter.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2010, 09:04:30 am »

I've just tried reclaim because I picked a slightly shitty embark location, moved it a bit and ... there's the wagon from previous embark with all the stuff very conveniently still loaded in it.  I guess the scatter-on-reclaim stuff has been taken out, which I think is good and bad (very tempting to abuse).

correction, the food has been dragged around, which is actually pretty sensible - what wild animal is going to drag a friggin anvil around the map anyway?

It's been this way for a very long time.  You can use this to stockpile materials at a location.  The stuff in the wagon won't scatter.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2010, 12:08:15 pm »

Maaan.

So I just used the world gen parameters I used with .12 for the new version, right? With titan's starting to show up at 50 dorfs, because that's totally fun you know?

First migrant wave, yadda yadda knowing it might be their doom, a hunting peasant and a drunk show up. A few days later, BAM.

Fire giant this and that has arrived!

It's currently chasing and burning merchants, because I don't have traps, weapons or really anything that would even count as a deterrent.

I guess I'll just gen a world in .12 despite the fact that it takes ages with it compared to .13.

...assuming that even helps with the thing with starting forts being death traps. Maybe I'll just play with that version too. I guess I can live with all those diplomats showing up.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 12:12:17 pm by Ieb »

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2010, 01:27:17 pm »

Not sure how everyone gets the "instant death" situation. I just made a new world (300 years of history worth) in an unmodded .13 and started a fort in a nice boundary region between a mountain and woodland. The fort is at year 8 now, I have two full squads of military (each of them legendary shield users, armour users, dodgers and fighters; one squad is full of legendary marksmen/archers with crossbows, the other is a fully steel-clad legendary axedwarf squad), but really nothing to fight ... I had, so far, one Ettin and one Giant, and both died before they even reached my first dwarf. No Goblins, no Kobolds, just some buzzards (nasty birds, until I got my marksdwarves trained) and mountain gnomes (those who didn't get killed by the random hunter or weapon trap I caged and dropped into my sewer system, where 14 of them still live more or less happily since a few years).

Overall, it's rather ... boring.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm at 280 Dwarves by now, and still getting new migrants. Good thing I have five legendary miners by now ....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:35:28 pm by Akjosch »

gilesguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2010, 08:28:38 pm »

It might not be a new thing, but I found something very, very strange on relclaiming. I didn't actully use the reclaim at the embark screen, I just embarked on half of my old fortress, which didn't show up on the world map for some reason. Once I had embarked, It showed kobolds all around me, friendly towards me. I assumed that these kobolds were on the map when I abandoned, as I had locked myself away from the outside world and were thus unrevealed when I abandoned. The kobolds killed the forgoten beast that killed my last fortress, and then I ordered someone to build a wall to the caverns, to stop anymore annoying things coming in. Being a dorf, he built the wall on the wrong side, so I ordered it deconstructed.

When this happened, everything went black, as if it was undiscovered. I went back to the top, and found that the stairway had been filled it, somehow. I dug a new one, and realised that the entire fortress had been filled in again, as if I had embarked on a new place. All the items that were down there were released when the stone was dug out. The funny thing was, everyone but my miner was filled in, so he had to race against time to dig them out. Also, now all the trees and shrubs growing are called "tree" and "shrub" without any type, and I also can't cut them down. It is very, very strange...but at least I can mine out the same cluster of magnetite twice

*edit*
After some !!science!! I found that, once the site has been improperly reclaimed, it did not revert when I built and deconstructed a wall outside, but if I created then deconstructed a wall in the caverns it will refill everything. Refilling also puts down more mud in the carverns.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 08:49:57 pm by gilesguy »
Crafty human Bastards! We should kill all Elves!

bumblepuppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2010, 05:42:42 am »

I have a nanofort from .12 which I have been running for eight years without migrants as the parent civilization is dead. I upgraded to .13 today and find a new batch of migrants have arrived.  ???

edit: I just checked the bug tracker and it seems there are a lot of issues related to migration, so it's nothing too surprising.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 05:45:36 am by bumblepuppy »

Phreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2010, 08:02:38 am »

Wow... I'm reading these tons of issues with reclaiming and migrants and non-seiges that I don't know if I'll even bother with .13 so are there any damn good things at all or is it all just buggy "stuff" and people should wait for bug fixes if they want a serious fortress and not an experimental one so tell me now: use .12 or play with the seemingly random bugs or maybe even use an already made fortress from .12?

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2010, 10:01:43 am »

I would wait for 0.31.14. Thre is only one significant bug fix worth mentioning (sleeping in random beds).

This is result of rotten compromise "add a little new things, bugfix a little in each version". I hope Toady is glad.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2010, 10:39:33 am »

Refreshingly sour, are we? ;)
I'd say that genning in .12 and playing .13 works quite ok, so I'd advise ppl to stick to this until .14 comes out...

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2010, 12:04:33 pm »

And now it is!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2010, 12:07:30 pm »

YES. BURN THE TWELFTH.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2010, 12:20:28 pm »

'Course, I'm going to have trouble with 31.14 'cause the name seeds change. No more "Everlasting Land of Dawn" worlds for me :( .
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]