Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: New strange things in 31.13  (Read 14945 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
New strange things in 31.13
« on: September 15, 2010, 09:58:45 am »

So, I just downloaded new version, unpacked, created a world, tried to embark... And here's what I saw:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Apparently, dark fortresses are now simply GIGANTIC, there's LOTS of them (there's four in a row here and I didn't even move from default selection!) and you can't embark on them. Unless I'm missing something.

Edit: after scouting around as adventurer, I discovered that those are fields and there's even more of them around human towns, with virtually no space to embark on. And I stopped the worldgen early... There could be all world in farms by 1050  :o
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:05:06 am by Dariush »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: New strange things in 31.13
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 10:11:00 am »

I think the bigger question is "why are goblins farming?"
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 10:14:17 am »

Elves are also farming... And apparently dwarves, but I can't find anything in adventure mode.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:29:25 am »

Hmm. Very Tolkien. As the world ages, humans take over and there's no space for anybody else.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:28:59 pm »

So, some news - there are no cities whatsoever, almost no population (just a few widely-spaced huts far away from each other), goblins' and dwarves' farms are just empty land (no forts) and the first river I came upon was lifted 1 z-level above the land with walls jutting up around it. Hooray bugs.

ZealotOnAStick

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • yggdrasil.net
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 12:38:39 pm »

and the first river I came upon was lifted 1 z-level above the land with walls jutting up around it. Hooray bugs.

Aqueducts?

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 12:41:32 pm »

So, some news - there are no cities whatsoever, almost no population (just a few widely-spaced huts far away from each other), goblins' and dwarves' farms are just empty land (no forts) and the first river I came upon was lifted 1 z-level above the land with walls jutting up around it. Hooray bugs.
or worldgen did something weird. I mean, remember the adamantine space elevator?
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 12:48:31 pm »

I encountered the same thing after many, many, many world gens this morning - outside of 5 years it's impossible to embark.  I also discovered playing as a dead civ is now nearly impossible - after at least 50 gens using parameters from .12 that reliably produced dead dwarf civs, the dwarfs were thriving.

(Good timing for this mess, as I won't be playing DF much until next year, thanks to College Football and Halo: Reach.  Problems should be worked out by then....)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 12:52:31 pm »

or worldgen did something weird. I mean, remember the adamantine space elevator?
Of course I do. Actually, I've seen a map of a similar happening in 31.12, but to stumble onto the very first river in the very first world and encounter this... It's weird to see the least. And finding other rivers is pain in the ass because of fields covering them on the map...
I encountered the same thing after many, many, many world gens this morning - outside of 5 years it's impossible to embark.  I also discovered playing as a dead civ is now nearly impossible - after at least 50 gens using parameters from .12 that reliably produced dead dwarf civs, the dwarfs were thriving.
Same seeds ALWAYS do different results in different version (remember space elevator?  :P)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 12:58:25 pm »

World gen doing something weird that it is obviously not supposed to == bug.

Not being able to embark in somebody''s sprawl is not what I would have expected though.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 12:59:33 pm »

Hello!

I am still world-genning, so no research by me, but I am wondering whether the farming has really spread across the races or whether they are re-conquered places ... After all, in past versions, I sometimes had elven retreats connected via roads because in between the humans had conquered them and built roads between them before the elves reclaimed their land...

As for population, I think the dev logs mentioned something about 140 villagers per hut :) :) :)

Deathworks

oolon1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 01:03:57 pm »

Yeah, I'm finding it hard to find a place to embark a fortress right now.  Everything is blocked by these useless tracts of... whatever it is supposed to be.

Edit:  I'm probably going to have to turn some civs off in worldgen.  The whole world feels covered with this useless sprawl and the sites I would normally select for building forts are blocked.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 01:05:38 pm by oolon1 »

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 01:07:40 pm »

Same seeds ALWAYS do different results in different version (remember space elevator?  :P)

Yeah, but it wasn't genned from a seed, but from tweaking parameters.  Small region with fewer hills + increased hostility in the environment generally produces fewer places for dwarfs to build and expand, which in turn makes it easier for the dwarfs to be wiped out.  It appeared to be the opposite here.

Not to mention the farms the dwarfs capture from the humans make them increasingly impossible to wipe out in world gen.  I guess we could do it the old-fashioned way: gen to year 1, start as an adventurer and hunt down every last dwarf. That should work....  :)

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 02:01:50 pm »

I'm finding plenty of places to embark, even the default locations, at year 1050, But there are also a huge number of unembarkable dwarf settlements with no populations; walled square region-sized areas of dwarf settlement symbols where you can't embark, but the world_sites_and_pops file has only the site name. (It's only in this release that I realized that the site name shows in red when picking the embark; is this a new feature, or did I just miss it before?)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 02:07:07 pm »

New strange thing: Adamantine is unminable. See my post here for more details.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7