Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13 Released  (Read 114865 times)

Okocim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13 Released
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2010, 04:44:55 am »

Does anyone know that old regions from .12 still work in .13? This way i can generate my farm-free 12. region and move it to bug-free .13, which will be pretty cool.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 04:46:28 am by Okocim »

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2010, 04:47:31 am »

Hmmm... I would love to find some more information on the land use of medieval Europe and other places for farming.  From what little I've looked into the matter, it seems that extensive sprawl of farmland would have been the norm. 

A good deal of land was used in medieval times for agriculture for sure.  I'm pretty sure that about half of the arable land today in England was being cultivated in the late 1300's (http://www.helsinki.fi/iehc2006/papers3/Overton.pdf).  That's about 12 percent of the total land area of the entire United Kingdom.  Similar things could probably be said of other western European lands during the late 1300's before the Black Death, though I am not an expert.  I think England would be a sort of best-case scenario, though since a world in DF will have a much wider range of climates than England.

I have no idea how Toady models the sprawl, but there's some pretty cool literature out there about how much land was needed to sustain a given population during medieval times, as well as patterns of expansion if anyone is interested.

Basically, though the sprawl might be a bit excessive, a lot of inhabited land would be taken up by farmland and would be the by far largest use of land by a civ.   

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2010, 04:55:51 am »

I kinda like the sprawls, but of late I was playing  Adventure Mode more than Fortress Mode,  I haven't tried starting a fortress with a new map.

Just remember this was sort of a jumping off point for other add-ins.  Though being able to embark on farmland would be nice, just imagine,  you take over the area, and you don't have to waste man/dwarf/wizard/(customciv) hours setting up farm plots.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2010, 05:06:34 am »

If we wanted realism, we would go outside.

There needs to be an element of magic that makes it so the entire world isn't one farm.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
  • If we are paranoid, then are we paranoid enough???
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2010, 05:34:22 am »

Yeah. Its "fantasy world sim", not "realistic farmer sim"! realism makes things more interesting and comparable to real life. when you see some complicated simulations like chopping off limbs or liquids dinamycs or healthcare system(its working in my fortresses for the most of time) or layering organics composture of creatures(skin, muscle, nerves, bones) for the first time you think - "WOW! THATS AWSOME! I WANNA TRY IT!".

Its "sandbox", that works like real life, but not a real life. And we enjoy it`s simplisticated realism+some fantasy tokens, which despite its origins, works according to simulated phisics! =)
Thats why magic usage and its implemaentation WILL rise up holywars.
Because we cannot compare, how well Toady simulated "magic".

But if it`ll be 100% realistic, then we can build REAL underground fortress according to in-game expirience. and it wont be the game it`ll be some kind of dwarven AutoCAD!
And i dont want to play in AutoCAD!
Even dwarven.
ESPECIALLY dwarven!!
it isnt fun to burn yourself with magma in real life!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:05:39 am by kuketski »
God, please, take asp.net give second python!

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2010, 05:57:04 am »

Playing adventure mode on Linux, the process got up to 2.9GiB of memory; just a sliver away from exhausting its virtual address space. If this was Windows, it'd have been long dead.

Edit: It's gone the limit now, and is crashing. Me thinks it's time for Toady to start releasing 64 bit builds.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:52:52 am by smariot »
Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

ouroborus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2010, 06:09:44 am »

Really, it's time to work on 64-bit.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2010, 06:10:21 am »

./mourn Win2k support :(

And the bugfixes look so nice, too ...
(especially since importing an old for dodges the world gen issues)

Here's to hoping for the return of Windows 2000 support, but I don't really expect it to happen.  Guess I get to explore 31.12 in great detail :p

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
  • If we are paranoid, then are we paranoid enough???
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2010, 06:24:24 am »

Here's to hoping for the return of Windows 2000 support, but I don't really expect it to happen.  Guess I get to explore 31.12 in great detail :p
Why dont you just install some other OS?
Or upgrade to Win7?
God, please, take asp.net give second python!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2010, 06:41:28 am »

Medieval norm of farm sprawl is not the fantasy norm. The fantasy norm are of civilization recovering after a great cataclysm, war or generic "Fall of Rome". Much like the Dark Ages.
The real problem is that civilization growing is too stable right now. Civilization destroying wars are too rare, there aren't diseases, savage areas are claimed too easily.

Toady has a lot of work to do to perfect world gen.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2010, 06:45:18 am »

Hmmm... I would love to find some more information on the land use of medieval Europe and other places for farming.  From what little I've looked into the matter, it seems that extensive sprawl of farmland would have been the norm.
See the Future of the Fortress thread, there was a long discussion on this with various links thrown around.

I'm seeing a lot of complaints from using the old default worldgen params on a radically new worldgen procedure. In an ideal world, Toady would have tweaked the default worldgen params to react to the sprawl, but this is an alpha-test project and we waited long enough for a new release. Time for us to figure out what makes sense with worldgen params in the current situation and let Toady do the things only he can do.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2010, 07:52:23 am »

Reading that some people this farm sprawl stuff is remotely realistic really made me blink my eyes a few times.  I don't think England has the extremes of tropical jungle and glacier and sandy desert but perhaps I didn't pay enough attention in geography classes.   ???

mgrinshpon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEMI_INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2010, 08:11:02 am »

Obsidian short swords? Thanks, Toady!
Ilu escaped the underworld, fooled humans into believing incarnation of deity Maga Incestmaze. That diety is associated with depravity, lies, treachery, and trickery.  Made lawgiver.

rramell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 16, 2010, 08:56:47 am »

Yeah, I miss W2k too. I gave it up about a year ago, although I'd still be using it given the choice. Best OS ever. :(

Since then I've changed to Ubuntu, since it's free and there's no way in hell I'm paying to inflict Vista or Windows 7 on myself. I've seen the hell it's put family members through.

If you decide to give Linux a go, remember you don't even have to install it on your hard drive to try. You can run Ubuntu from the Live-CD as long as you have 1GB of RAM.

If you've got less than that, you could give Xubutu a go, which I think can run on as little as 192MB of RAM.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 16, 2010, 09:02:08 am »

Edit: It's gone the limit now, and is crashing. Me thinks it's time for Toady to start releasing 64 bit builds.
Someone would think that better first check if something can be done more effectively memory-wise. But nooo, lets just throw more hardware at it.*

No amount of hardware will help if code is total crap.

*Disclaimer: I do not say that Toady should not release 64-bit builds. It just reason that is stated here for it that got on my nerves.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22