Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13 Released  (Read 114894 times)

VWSpeedRacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13 Released
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2010, 07:11:18 pm »

Replace data/art/font.ttf; I replaced mine with a sans-serif font, because serifs are the root of all evil. Special exception for the capital letter 'I', which is royalty and deserving of serifs, unlike all the other commoner letters of the alphabet.

Comic Sans Serif.  Mua-hahahahahaha!
"Yo dorf, I herd you like menacing so I put spikes on yo spikes so you can menace while you menace!"
I think something went wrong with the mac download. All I know is, there's an exe in it, and that just ain't right.
Armok's Sweaty Balls Toady

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2010, 07:13:36 pm »

Praise the miners!
Thanks much for the Obsidian Sword fix, this was what I needed most today!
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2010, 07:58:42 pm »

Well, I took full advantage of my day off to mismanage 2 fortresses into the ground and gen half a dozen worlds. No problems here!

Thanks Toady!

EDIT: To the people whose worlds are overcrowded by villages, how long are you letting worldgen run? I'm running 150 years and turning out just fine.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:00:45 pm by monk12 »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2010, 07:59:47 pm »

All very interesting changes, and in particular I think the farm sprawl stuff is quite cool in concept, but in execution it probably should be toned down a lot - I'm getting truly immense areas of map covered by farm sprawl if I let world gen run the whole 1050.  Even stopping it at 400, with a smaller number of starting civs (20 on a medium size region) results in an uncomfortably crowded map.

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2010, 08:00:37 pm »

Huh weird I don't see the Start Group line in mine, or the zip file.

But I did see the START GROUP bit in a save from a previous version, not sure what version though

I admit it, I screwed up. I got the file versions backwards.

The changes consisted almost entirely of removing START_GROUP_NUMBER:10 from everything, adding TOLERATES_SITE:DARK_FORTRESS to ENTITY:EVIL, and tweaking the biomes of ENTITY:EVIL and ENTITY:PLAINS.

The only other file in the raws to change was inorganic_stone_mineral.txt, and it seems to be mostly removing metal templates and dumping in all sorts of properties about mass, density, and all the ways to break and deform them. Affected materials are: NATIVE_GOLD, NATIVE_SILVER, NATIVE_COPPER, NATIVE_PLATINUM, HORN_SILVER, NATIVE_ALUMINUM, RAW_ADAMANTINE, and SLADE.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:02:59 pm by smariot »
Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2010, 09:03:27 pm »

All very interesting changes, and in particular I think the farm sprawl stuff is quite cool in concept, but in execution it probably should be toned down a lot - I'm getting truly immense areas of map covered by farm sprawl if I let world gen run the whole 1050.  Even stopping it at 400, with a smaller number of starting civs (20 on a medium size region) results in an uncomfortably crowded map.

Yeah, there probably should be mechanics to both limit the amount of land that is turned into farmland and a mechanic for farmed land to return to wilderness in the absence of a civ that can support it.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2010, 09:07:25 pm »

This probably means that I'm on Facebook too often, but I instinctively looked for a "like" button on this.

Yay bug fixes! I'm going to skip this version because I've already got some forts running and it seems like it would be hard to find a good place to start here, but this continues to head in the right direction.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2010, 09:10:41 pm »

OK, so I tried worldgen on the Linux box at home.  Huge difference, and not for the better.

The Linux box at work has 2 GB RAM and a fairly recent CPU.  World gen took somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes, I think.  I didn't time it.

At home, I've got 1 GB and an older CPU (Athlon 64 3400+).  World gen using the default parameters took between 15 and 20 minutes, I think -- and at the very end, the memory usage shot WAY up, to nearly 1 GB virtual size.  My poor machine started thrashing, which means it took ages to accept the world and get it saved.  (I have a lot of other things using memory too, including a web browser.)

The region directory is also about 5 times the size of a .12 region directory (100 MB vs 20 MB).

After saving the region, I quit the program and re-launched it.  When I selected the region to start playing, memory usage shot up again, just like before.  I allocated points and skills and stuff, and embarked.  When the dwarves arrived, I saved and exited again, then restarted the program.

Same memory usage -- 1 GB or so.  It's pretty bad.

However, once the game finally loaded, the memory usage seems to have dropped off.  Virtual size didn't drop of course, but the resident set size dropped to under half a GB.  It might actually be playable, but I'm worried that seasonal autosaves are going to be a right bitch.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2010, 09:26:11 pm »

Put off working on mod for over two weeks.
Toady releases new version of DF.
Much rejoicing.
Realize that this means I have to work on my mod again.
Sigh reluctantly.

Do the new sprawl changes, specifically the farmland, only affect human settlements? Or, are there/will there be similar changes to Dwarven/Elf/Goblin sites as well?
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2010, 09:31:45 pm »

Wow embark anywhere does not work on the new version! "can't find a Exit code...".
This stops all my adventurer mode experiments in 13.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2010, 10:07:18 pm »

Put off working on mod for over two weeks.
Toady releases new version of DF.
Much rejoicing.
Realize that this means I have to work on my mod again.
Sigh reluctantly.

Do the new sprawl changes, specifically the farmland, only affect human settlements? Or, are there/will there be similar changes to Dwarven/Elf/Goblin sites as well?

Apparently there are huge clumps of unused farmland allocated to all of these civs during world gen that limit the sites for fortress mode embarkation.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2010, 10:15:50 pm »

It isn't just human settlements that make farm sprawl, all civs do it (even the elves and goblins).  Even stopping world gen at year 50 I still have towns that make farm sprawl tiles that are 7+ tiles away from the town itself, so far that I actually have trouble seeing exactly what town they're coming from.  If there's a river anywhere near a town, basically it will be completely covered by farm tiles and cannot be embarked on except for some 3x* holes between them, and tbh who really makes a brave expedition to colonize the mysterious space between somebody's farms?

Anyhow, year 50 seems about where I would want a full 1050 year history to be, and going to 1050 years is way beyond even modern times' utilization of land.

edit: tbh even year 50 is still pretty opressively crowded, just looked over one map and an entire major river, every tile of it, was covered over by farms in those 50 years.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:20:28 pm by FleshForge »

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2010, 10:46:27 pm »

Maybe an init option to turn off the sprawl could be added? I know this weekend I plan to get all my raws and graphic settings fixed up for .13. And then I'm going to test genning worlds in .12 and using them in .13 to get the bugfixes without the sprawl.

By the way Toady, thank you very much for the bed bug fix. That one was an annoyance for quite awhile.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2010, 10:50:41 pm »

Or an option to allow embarking on sprawl.

Though I suspect that the reason you can't in the first place is because of the way the sites are coded overlapping the sites is like crossing the streams.

Never actually noticed any of those bed bugs.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22