Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13 Released  (Read 114788 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13 Released
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2010, 12:29:01 pm »

Tried again, no segfault. maybe a fluke?

Anyways, I'm excited to play, thank toady!
I think it's random. I've generated 10 worlds and got it twice. There's definitely some new error in the worldgen process, but it's expected with all the new additions :D.

P.S. Are there old towns like before too? I seem to get tons of locations with cottages...

I WANT SHOPS! :D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

blaze323

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2010, 12:31:55 pm »

Hmmm, this is weird. The first volcano I found on the first map I genned on this release (haven't changed any files at all). Think theres an aquifer as well. Anybody else had this happen to them before? Or is this normal.

http://imgur.com/1MMIg.png
http://imgur.com/LZKXb.png
http://imgur.com/r98Ji.png

EDIT: had the pics in the wrong order
EDIT 2: It does go back into the mountain after 10 levels tho.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:35:09 pm by blaze323 »

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2010, 12:49:56 pm »

Hi!

Thanks for the update. Although it has ruined my plans to take a break from DF. After all, with the bed bug and alien diplomats fixed, I have to give it a try.

Baughn: Completely OT: Interesting, so you like Recettear? I agree that it is fun... Just had to mention that.

Deathworks

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2010, 12:54:50 pm »

Bed bugs seem to be enjoying quite the resurgence in the US at the moment.  Glad to hear you were able to knock them out.  I imagine you'll be getting many interview requests shortly.

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2010, 12:57:51 pm »

Is it just me, or does 'Find Desired Location' now give unusable locations occupied by villages?
Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2010, 12:58:51 pm »

P.S. Are there old towns like before too? I seem to get tons of locations with cottages...

I WANT SHOPS! :D
I'm pretty sure Toady said he gutted the old towns, and didn't get to replacing them yet.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

darkfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2010, 01:01:06 pm »

*Ninjaed by toady*

Yeah, Windows 2000 was EOLed quite a while ago. Microsoft no longer supports it, which makes anyone else supporting it hard.. I'll see what I can dig up, but at this point I don't have high hopes.

Dropping VS 2010 would require rewriting some code, and it would also revert a large part of the performance gain in this version.. why are you still using 2000, if I may ask?

Why would you need to revert a large ammount of performance gain to just re add windows 2000 support? All you need to do is either add a single if at the start of the program so that if the OS version is windows 2000 you run on a different path, or maybe you could just edit the setting in VS2010 to make it output valid win32 exe for windows 2000. (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcpluslanguage/thread/4924c9de-3d0a-4de6-81aa-d6f985136779) That is assuming that it does not break due to changes in how the exe was made, but it might be worth a quick test before adding the first look up at run time to see if you are running windows 2000, or even more ideally compile time and have a link for a windows 2000 version and a windows xp or better version. Properly abstracted it should not be that hard to do, but I don't know how good the code is with regards to that.

HA! I Wish. But then I'd be out of a job.

If the 'if' statement can automatically create multi-target API wrappers for giant 3rd party libraries, rewrite your code to support them, and add compiler options that don't exist then...
I quake at the thought of what this guy could do with a 'for' statement.

:)

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2010, 01:02:02 pm »

A negative number of soldiers isn't a bug! It's protesters!

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2010, 01:09:12 pm »

The number of settlements on the map is absolutely insane.  Trying to enter a site in Adventure Mode brings up around four different towns per tile.   Is this intended?
Also known as Zuhayr.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2010, 01:26:14 pm »

I think we're getting to the point where any machine old enough to still have Windows 2000 installed will struggle to meet the minimum specifications even if it can theoretically execute the program. If people in Knight Otu's position really can't afford a new PC then they'd be well-advised to switch to Linux anyway.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Dogun

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Will live in a cave someday
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2010, 01:28:20 pm »

Sweet, new release.

I'm eagerly awaiting contaminant fixes, but I guess most of this stuff is probably more important.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2010, 01:29:00 pm »

Those aren't settlements. They're countryside farmland. In the Medieval period, and even today, all large cities need to be supported with vast tracts of farmland around them in order to feed a large urban population. The larger the city, the more farmland is needed. So yes, it is intended. Those settlements are little more than a handful of cottages surrounded by farming fields.

Also, seems the true type font doesn't have the gender symbols in it yet, but I have to say, I like it. I think a different default font would be better, though.
!!&!!

skeletonhat

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Reor, Creo, Incito
    • View Profile
    • Imaginary Thomas and the No Such Things
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2010, 01:32:55 pm »

A negative number of soldiers isn't a bug! It's protesters!

Or Undead?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2010, 01:40:08 pm »

World gen was slow, but worked fine, on Linux (Debian 5.0 i386).  But I'm not currently playing the .13-generated world.  I'm still on a fortress from .12.  Which is also running fine so far.

I didn't see any issues with shared libraries or anything, either.  If I needed additional libs, they must already have been installed on this system.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2010, 01:41:20 pm »

I understand why the sprawl and farmland was added, Ampersand, my question was more to do with the fact that each one comes up as an individual site that can be entered from the world map - it makes things feel extremely cluttered.
Also known as Zuhayr.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22