Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Viewing animal thoughts and preferences  (Read 935 times)

krige

• Bay Watcher
  • [TILE:dwarf:fire]
    • View Profile
Viewing animal thoughts and preferences
« on: November 21, 2006, 05:32:00 am »

Having a cage with several stray dogs in it, I've opened the item 't' menu, highlited the cage and pressed enter. A list of dogs in it appeared but when I select any of them, a dwarf-like (but blank) screen appears from which I can go to animal's "thoguhts an preferences" by pressing y. It always shows as "has been content lately."

I've did it several times - when I get cages in my new fortress I might record a movie with the whole process.

Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Viewing animal thoughts and preferences
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 11:17:00 pm »

Yeah, it shouldn't let you view their profiles, since they don't have profiles.  I'll set up a report.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

krige

• Bay Watcher
  • [TILE:dwarf:fire]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 05:41:00 am »

After some more experiments, it turns out that this occurs only for stray dogs and puppies. Wild animals (at least the small ones) aren't viewable this way.
Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

Genuine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 09:11:00 pm »

As far as animals are concerned, I've seen a related bug that's probably been mentioned already, but I haven't seen it reported yet. Occasionally a war dog will become badly injured while fighting and go into a rage. When the dog comes out of the rage, it is often "permanently depressed" so to speak, and always has the red down-arrow as it moves about the fortress.

Edit: This was on an older version, and I've yet to see it happen on the new one. However, I haven't seen anything about it in the bug fixes, so I figured I'd report it.

[ November 22, 2006: Message edited by: Genuine ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 11:13:00 pm »

Ah, maybe that's a lead on why there was a fire imp that went crazy once, and a miserable zombie alligator...  though the undead probably don't rage, unless that's a bug too.

Griz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 01:28:00 am »

I had a horse in my last fortress that took some yellow wounds that never healed and had a permanent "very unhappy" state.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 12:46:00 pm »

I played a map full of zombie elephants recently on the latest version, and noticed at lest a few who had the "miserable" marker in their wounds screen.  I just chuckled and assumed this was normal... I mean, it would suck to be a zombie, right?

No doubt if you were to play a map with a high evil setting and lots of animals you would find many zombies with this problem.

Also, I wonder if it has to do with organ damage or something, since the zombies had several organs in the brown...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 01:57:00 am »

I think it just ended up being something bizarre in the creature init -- "if you are undead, don't init the happiness variable".  I'm sure I had the best intentions in mind, but that was kinda strange.  It's fixed now in any case.