Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: One-Tile Meeting Zones: Super-Effective!  (Read 1356 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
One-Tile Meeting Zones: Super-Effective!
« on: September 15, 2010, 08:04:10 am »

I've been experimenting with One-Tile Meeting Areas, and they are proving to be as effective at promoting happiness as danger rooms are at training your military. The majority of my fortress (80/120 dwarves) have Legendary social skills (3 years after implementation), and I'm averaging about 2 marriages per season.

One annoying thing though is that now most of my population is blinking blue and so i can't tell by looking who my actually useful dwarfs are.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Dadou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One-Tile Meeting Zones: Super-Effective!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:32:17 am »

And suddenly, an FTS (Fun Tantrum Spiral).
No magma, no Fun.

Firehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:33:31 am »

Sounds like a horrible tantrum spiral waiting to happen.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:07:22 am »

And suddenly, an FTS (Fun Tantrum Spiral).
This. Shared fun is exponential fun.

Lost some fortresses to this method. Keep dwarves from each other at all times!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 09:59:40 am »

But see, provided you're doing everything else to keep them happy and reach like 2000~3000 happiness (it takes 250 to reach 'ecstatic') then the death of a close one (friend or spouse) shouldn't knock them to tantrum. Everyone having elite consolation skill ought to provide more buffer too. Now if you lost a significant fraction of your population in one fell swoop, then you're screwed yeah. Ideally then, you have an inner core of civilians who are super happy and all friends with each other and a lonely military who never get a social life.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 10:08:02 am »

I've noticed the very same. Had a very tight embarkation area and designated a small meeting area that got rather crowded as migrants came in. Legendary dwarves all around.

Stardrinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 10:34:06 am »

But see, provided you're doing everything else to keep them happy and reach like 2000~3000 happiness (it takes 250 to reach 'ecstatic') then the death of a close one (friend or spouse) shouldn't knock them to tantrum. Everyone having elite consolation skill ought to provide more buffer too. Now if you lost a significant fraction of your population in one fell swoop, then you're screwed yeah. Ideally then, you have an inner core of civilians who are super happy and all friends with each other and a lonely military who never get a social life.

Doesn't really explain how losing 2 of my guys in an unfortunate bridge accident sent dozens of my 1500+ happiness dwarves into tantrums though. Maybe the happiness generated by the dwarves that are killed gets inverted meaning the closer they are, the more happiness they lose when they die? Or maybe I just encountered a weird bug.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 11:25:50 am »

Hmm, it could be that the loss in happiness is -1000 for the death of close ones. Or there may have been some intermediate steps. I guess you've checked their thoughts and found that to be the only bad thought recently before they started tantruming?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 11:45:16 am »

One thing I've noticed is that over time, dwarves eventually lose friends. This takes many years, but a social dwarf can become an outcast with no friends after being a loner for decades.

For a long term fortress you can do the 1x1 meeting zone to start with, just so you get lots of marriages going on. Then once all of your dwarves are married make a gigantic meeting zone such that dwarves will never be close to another dwarf for any length of time. Over the decades dwarves will stop talking to each other, stop being friends, and then drop being acquaintances as well.

Yes, friendship decays, just like attributes and skill levels. It just takes a long time.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 01:02:14 pm »

I thought it only took 150 happiness to reach ecstatic.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 01:01:29 am »

My entire population now is ecstatic, except for the newborn babies which are merely "content".  All adult dwarves have legendary social skills, and I think they've all married.

My fortress has a population-cap of 100, and is currently at 157 and climbing due to births.  I have 25 babies and 33 children.

To prevent over-population and for the sake of my FPS I think that I may have to eliminate the one-tile meeting zone.  :o

Perhaps they'll appreciate a waterfall in its place?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

EspritFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 05:36:55 am »

To prevent over-population and for the sake of my FPS I think that I may have to eliminate the one-tile meeting zone.  :o

Or you can simply limit the number of pregnancies.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 06:49:34 am »

How would I manage this dwarven birth-control of which you speak?  Put all my dwarf-women in cages?
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 07:03:22 am »

How would I manage this dwarven birth-control of which you speak?  Put all my dwarf-women in cages?

Well, making a waterfall of babies is a good idea too.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 07:04:40 am »

How do you pump them up again ? Can you train beasts to carry them up to the top ?
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.
Pages: [1] 2