Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: One-Tile Meeting Zones: Super-Effective!  (Read 1349 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One-Tile Meeting Zones: Super-Effective!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 07:06:13 am »

Oh silly, you're supposed to chain the mothers near a water flow, wait until they give birth, and force the kid into it. How you construct it is a matter of a dwarf's mindset.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 07:09:37 am »

Hey, that's my legendary weapon-smith you're talking about! 

Besides, there isn't any way of telling if a dwarf is going to give birth until after the fact, is there?  I do however have a small collection of drowned babies at the base of a waterfall.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 08:28:02 am »

2 comments:

1) There's an init setting for a limit to how many babies/chilldren your fort has relative to its adult population.

2) I don't know about babies, but children waterfall is achieved by making sure you have 0 idlers and then ordering some wallls in highly dangerous locations to be deconstructed. All the children now rush to deconstruct the walls and then whatever the walls were holding back does the job. So named children waterfall as the example I came across had a wall blocking a waterfall or such and deconstruction swept away all the children down the waterfall.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 08:48:36 am »

2) I don't know about babies, but children waterfall is achieved by making sure you have 0 idlers and then ordering some wallls in highly dangerous locations to be deconstructed. All the children now rush to deconstruct the walls and then whatever the walls were holding back does the job. So named children waterfall as the example I came across had a wall blocking a waterfall or such and deconstruction swept away all the children down the waterfall.

Oh, you've really blown my mind! That's why I love this game..
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 09:17:27 am »

How would I manage this dwarven birth-control of which you speak?  Put all my dwarf-women in cages?

Well, making a waterfall of babies is a good idea too.

I can actually give you a quickfort .csv for this.

http://drop.io/quickfort/asset/spiralstair-plain-csv

I once set this up in a stack about 8 levels high. I had a reservoir of water at the top that "released" every time it filled completely, for a rush of water, and the bottom went into a tunneled drain -- the idea was to teach my dwarves swimming and keep them clean with sudden rushes of water.

I kept getting dead dwarf babies in the drain and couldn't figure out why until I realized the rushing water was knocking infants loose from their mothers, down the ramps, and slamming them into the ground below. Then babies can't learn swimming so they'd drown. I solved the problem by putting metal gratings across the bottom row of ramps, but the basic design should prove a quite efficient dwarven automated post-natal abortifacient.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:51:21 am by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »

Jonlissla

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 09:40:19 am »

I kept getting dead dwarf babies in the drain and couldn't figure out why until I realized the rushing water was knocking infants loose from their mothers, down the ramps, and slamming them into the ground below. Then babies can't learn swimming so they'd drown.

It's times when I read things like this that I realise:

Dorf Fortress really is the best game ever made.
Pages: 1 [2]