Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two savage biomes make a peaceful biome?  (Read 2502 times)

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two savage biomes make a peaceful biome?
« on: September 15, 2010, 05:24:16 am »

I embarked on an untamed wilds mountain biome and a UW swamp biome, but so far all I've seen are foxes and deer - which I never see in any 'pure' UW biomes. I've had this problem before when embarking on mixed savage biomes. Anyone else?

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
Re: Two savage biomes make a peaceful biome?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 11:05:21 am »

Hmm I am curious about this as well. I just embarked in a 3 part biome for my succession game and as I was naming dwarfs I noticed none of the trees in the terrifying biome are dead and there no undead animals there. Wonder if there is a bug to report here. I am going to make a copy of my save and play off the side to see if this changes will report when I see if anything happens.
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

Poky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 11:13:43 am »

Hmm I am curious about this as well. I just embarked in a 3 part biome for my succession game and as I was naming dwarfs I noticed none of the trees in the terrifying biome are dead and there no undead animals there. Wonder if there is a bug to report here. I am going to make a copy of my save and play off the side to see if this changes will report when I see if anything happens.

I can confirm that - I had 50% terrifying and 50% joyous wild embark. I had joyous wild wnimals / trees, but nothing evil at all.

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 01:14:34 pm »

That's not good this means my succession game isn't what it should be. I am doing to have to change my embark. Can someone submit this to the bug tracker? I would but I'm on my phone and away from my computer
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 03:41:16 pm »

Sorry for the double post but I have done some further testing in this and this is without a doubt a troublesome bug.

It appears if even 1 tile on the embark location is not evil it will override and cause the entire embark to be non evil. It seems to effect only evil biomes I have gone and embark on a half joyous wilds and untamed wilds and it seems to work ok there and the respected plant life is the way it should be with feather tress in the joyous wilds and none in the untamed wilds area.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 03:56:00 pm »

Have you tried embarking on an evil biome surrounded by other biomes? i did an evil freshwater lake surrounded by other biomes and got undead hippos with other critters being normal from their biomes. however once the hippos were dead, nothing else came.
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 05:15:06 pm »

Ya I have done that I even had just one tile of mirthful taiga, and the other biome was evil the only thing that spawned was a werewolf, the rest where all wildlife nothing was appearing undead. This was a 4x4 embark with 1 square in the corner that was good and it canceled any plants from being dead or undead. So seeing the werewolf as they only spawn in evil biomes, Perhaps the undead portion is getting turned off?

It seems odd that everything works fine as long as the biome is all evil, but add anything thats not evil and nothing undead is around including anything in the caves.

just tested this on some grasslands and the harpies and ogres are spawning as well so the evil is working it just not spawning undead hmm. and there still is no dead plants around those areas. I even abandoned and reclaimed a few time and ogres and harpies where appearing.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 05:56:35 am by Kregoth »

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 01:55:22 pm »

I Have figured out on how to get around this bug but doing so can be hard to find.

Bug report 3257

Above is several test's I have done to find out what may be causing these issues.

As far as I can tell to have 2 biomes that will not clash with the good and evil effect, you have to embark in 2 different savage biomes. Like terrifying and mirthful I hope this helps those wanting unicorns and Undead elephants :P

As long as the 2 biomes have different savagery values then the game will respect the animal and plant life. Haven t tried this one 3 because finding a site like that is near impossible.