Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 299842 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: Session on Saturday (always recruiting)
« Reply #3330 on: January 29, 2012, 11:02:27 am »

I think the Chaotic and or evil characters might outnumber the lawful and or good characters. So. A Paladin would be a welcome addition from my point of view.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: January 29, 2012, 11:48:24 am »

Warning: We have some number of evil characters. I can't remember the exact number, but it is decidedly nonzero.
That's quite alright.

I was actually hoping to talk to the GM about rewording the Paladin Code a bit. There are some paladins, after all, who's main goal is not to murder everything. And I hardly think it's fitting that, say, a Paladin cannot render aid to a CE Commoner who has yet to actually commit a crime, if he accidentally happens to detect evil on the poor sod beforehand.

Essentially, I'd just like to remove the bit about knowingly associating with evil characters. Else, I'll simply need to play a Paladin who is completely OK with falling from grace should it mean having the chance to redeem someone rather than outright killing them.
Maybe type up an entire oath that he would have actually taken to replace the mechanical code, too? I dunno. The association thing is my big beef with it at the moment, in any case.

Back to the mechanical side of things: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=365965
This is Alester at the moment. Trying to come up with a better last name and/or deity. I'm looking at the OP right now, but I don't have a lot of information on the setting so my backstory will be kind of vague since I need information to get the ideas flowin'.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: January 29, 2012, 01:05:06 pm »

Have you looked into Grey Paladin? That might not be the exact name, but it has Gray/Grey in the name somewhere. It's a paladin that stands more for law than justice. Alternatively, Paladin of Tyranny. Blackguard?  ;D

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: January 29, 2012, 01:42:22 pm »

The grey paladins are a prestige class I think... A little out of our level range right now...

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: January 29, 2012, 02:59:18 pm »

Alester stands for Good more than he does Law though. Of course, he remains lawful in the pursuit of that.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: January 29, 2012, 03:41:04 pm »

Maybe go Crusader if you have access to the Tome of Battle?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: January 29, 2012, 03:44:02 pm »

Well, I planned on using ToB feats to get crusader maneuvers and the like. If it's possible to dip Crusader and then return to Pally, I might do that too. I can't seem to find a feat for it, though...
E: Scratch that. Dipping into Crusader 1 before I start to take the pally levels. Hopefully somewhere down the line I can get some kind of homebrew feat that allows me to go back into Crusader without giving up Pally permanently.

EE: Actually, I've got a ways to go till my next feat but is there any chance I might be able to take this homebreak feat?: Devoted Templar.

There's also the Devoted Paladin, but honestly I feel that Devoted Templar is more worthwhile if only for the multiclassing it allows.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:20:52 pm by thatkid »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: January 29, 2012, 04:31:59 pm »

Well, you might just want to go into Knight/Cleric. The Knight's Code is a little more lenient than the Paladin's, or at least you don't have to impose it on others.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: January 29, 2012, 05:06:01 pm »

I would do that, but I'm not looking to play a character who's bound by oath to put Honor above all else, I'm looking to play a character who's bound by oath to put Morality above all else.

The only bit about imposing the code on others is the part about not being able to knowingly associate with evil. Which, honestly, I think is really silly and was rather hoping for word from the GM on whether or not I could simply ignore that aspect of it if only to a certain extent.
I play paladins fairly regularly in roleplaying games, and when doing so it's generally my goal to not have them be a stick-in-the-mud. Provided he can actually consort with evil characters, the closest you'll ever see Alester get to actual imposition will probably be trying to befriend the evil characters while aiming to set a good example...unless, as I've said, they try to massacre a village full of innocents on his watch or something.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: January 29, 2012, 05:28:09 pm »

...unless, as I've said, they try to massacre a village full of innocents on his watch or something.
Sometimes, they have a perfectly good reason to do so. To cross a chasm, for example.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: January 29, 2012, 06:00:30 pm »

Hmmmm, Evil characters are inclined towards Evil motives. A paladin may not wish to take part in an activity that has been significantly influenced by an Evil mind, as it is likely to pursue Evil goals. The misdirection of the righteous must be one of the most heinous of moral breaches... Perhaps rewording it to "may not knowingly collaborate with Evil characters" would be a satisfactory compromise. You can attempt to reform them by travelling with them and setting a good example. You can form a relationship in the hopes that they may be reformed at a later date. But if you get involved in their schemes then you are likely to lose your powers sooner or later regardless of whether it is an explicit breach in and of itself...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: January 29, 2012, 06:16:11 pm »

Hmmmm, Evil characters are inclined towards Evil motives. A paladin may not wish to take part in an activity that has been significantly influenced by an Evil mind, as it is likely to pursue Evil goals. The misdirection of the righteous must be one of the most heinous of moral breaches... Perhaps rewording it to "may not knowingly collaborate with Evil characters" would be a satisfactory compromise. You can attempt to reform them by travelling with them and setting a good example. You can form a relationship in the hopes that they may be reformed at a later date. But if you get involved in their schemes then you are likely to lose your powers sooner or later regardless of whether it is an explicit breach in and of itself...
Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for as a means of rewording that bit. Thanks a lot! :D

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: January 30, 2012, 02:42:18 pm »

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for as a means of rewording that bit. Thanks a lot! :D

I'd be fine with that. I'm not too big on Paladins being banned from trying to reform people through friendship/example etc. There's also the Unearthed Arcana variant Paladins for the other 3 extreme alignments (for instance, the Drow might have their own brand of Paladins too... but they serve the Spider Queen, and they are NOT nice people). For the Paladin of Freedom, I would remove the bit about not being able to help people serve a cause that is Lawful unless it is very oppressive (in which case it's evil anyway, and thus a moot point).

I'll approve Devoted Templar. (Just so we're super-clear, this doesn't allow you to count 1.5x your Paladin levels for your initiator level total... your Paladin levels now contribute one initiator level each, instead of the base half initiator level that all non-initiator levels grant by default)
Also, welcome to the team =)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: February 01, 2012, 06:53:39 pm »

I had an idea for a class for a future character, and because I just realized that I have Adobe Dreamweaver on this computer, I've been tinkering around with HTML. If you copy this into an HTML document and open it with Firefox or what-have-you, it'll be a lot easier to read:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Do people think that's close to balanced? If not, what should I change? (Not asking Shoruke to approve it yet, since it probably has something wrong.)

@thatkid
And welcome to the party!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:38:33 pm by Araph »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: February 01, 2012, 09:01:53 pm »

Well, there's a problem here. Arcane Strike is exactly like a feat, and it's fairly balanced. Arcane Guidance, on the other hand, is twice as effective as the feat that does the same thing, and that feat has oodles of prerequisites. The Supernatural Talents are pretty cool, but I can't really judge how balanced they are. The utter lack of armor/shield proficiencies might be a bit of a problem, considering that it will require the burning of your meager supply of spell slots for Shield and Mage Armor (or Greater Luminous Armor, if you're good!) instead.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 244