Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 299954 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: Session on Saturday (always recruiting)
« Reply #3060 on: January 15, 2012, 08:37:31 pm »

Flash Step:
 As a verbal only spell it can be used to escape grapples and similar forms of physical impediment, so lowering the level of the spell does have significant implications for level-appripriate attacks.
 As a swift action it can be used to teleport and full attack in a single round. In fact, if you look at dimension door, you will see that it explicitly prevents any action after teleporting. Drop it to 10, or maybe fifteen feet, fixed range, then it may work, but as is it violates some of the action conservation rules, namely the full attack/charge debate...
 Finally, the range is not much worse than dimension door, which is generally only used for short hops anyway, add in the swift action and even the line of sight only, and I would still say that this is significantly more powerful than dimension door. I would give a shot at 10 foot fixed range, or 15 foot instant walk, and see how that plays out, if that doesn't work than I would either increase the range, but probably keep it fixed, or cause it to take away your move action...

Whirlwind:
 I haven't really seen such spells in action, so I don't know much.
 The description says "you" while the range is listed as "touch", can this be cast on other people?
 Complete immunity to bows and arrows, regardless of size.
 Complete immunity to touch from flying creatures, save versus size(Tiny or small?!? wouldn't small or smaller make more sense?) I would suggest that the size category be reduced by one...
 Complete immunity to gasses. This seems a bit much for a 4th level spell considering that it potentially makes the subject immune to the likes of Stinking Cloud, Solid Fog, Cloudkill, Acid Fog, and Incendiary Cloud... This also implies that the spell creates an air-tight seal around the user...
 +4 AC versus melee that stacks with everything, save versus size(medium). Compare to Bestow Curse while this is very similar in many ways, it affects the attacker, rather than the defender, as is generally the case with penalties, I would suggest changing this to a deflection bonus...
 30% miss chance on "normal" ranged attacks other than arrows and bolts. I would like a more detailed description of what 'normal' is. Does it include slings? Thrown weapons? Manticore spines? Ranged touch spells? Magic sling stones? A telekinetic "Violent Thrust"?

Wind's Fury:
 Big no...
 Maybe with 1 round per 3 levels, one attack per 5 levels(minimum 1), and a maximum extra attacks of 2 or maybe 3. Extra attacks are rare and special things, that almost never stack...
I'll rewrite Flash Step like you said; I hadn't actually considered the part about grapples.

About Whirlwind's poor wording, I blame SRD and my failure to actually process what it said. Most of that is the same text that's in the spell Wind Wall's description, just changed a little bit. I should have actually rewritten it instead of copying and pasting. I'm not sure what it means by normal ranged attacks, as I would have thought that would be arrows and stuff.

About Wind's Fury, I didn't realize multiple attacks were that overpowered. I'll change that and see if you think it's viable.

Spoiler: Flash Step (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Whirlwind (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wind's Fury (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:21:24 pm by Araph »

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: January 15, 2012, 11:30:31 pm »

Not saying it's necessarily balanced, just published.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: January 16, 2012, 05:09:08 am »

Whar's da phat loot we've been promised?!  :-\

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: January 16, 2012, 08:40:07 pm »

Wait, you can use it offensively? As in, second level spell, will save to negate being teleported into an environmental hazard, be it that mess of solid fog, black tentacles, and cloudkill that you just escaped, or five feet to the left where that 1000 foot drop is...

Casting time for flash step should be a swift action, it should just state somewhere in the text that the teleportation expends a move action. as a move action spell(which don't exist to the best of my knowledge) you could cast it along with a swift spell and a standard action spell.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: January 16, 2012, 08:52:11 pm »

Well, I suppose you should consider that it was probably made for Duskblades, who also have a 5-level casting progression. And can channel it through a melee attack.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: January 16, 2012, 09:22:22 pm »

Casting time for flash step should be a swift action, it should just state somewhere in the text that the teleportation expends a move action. as a move action spell(which don't exist to the best of my knowledge) you could cast it along with a swift spell and a standard action spell.
Edited that in.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: January 16, 2012, 09:42:30 pm »

Do we gain exps based on our levels via the formula in the DMG, or just a amount?

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: January 16, 2012, 09:52:55 pm »

If I remember journal experience is based on the average level of the people playing. We had lots of level 4 characters, so everyone level 4 should get about 10% of their experience for the next level for a journal, and everyone else gets either more/less based on their level. Higher the level, the less the journal experience.

If you mean combat experience, I have no clue.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: January 16, 2012, 09:54:50 pm »

Speaking of journals, when do we do them? The first post says after a session. But no one seems to have done theirs yet.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: January 16, 2012, 10:01:51 pm »

Yeah... Any time before the next session works. We normally see a last minute surge of them on Fridays.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: January 16, 2012, 11:08:25 pm »

I have an URGENT, VITAL, and UTTERLY IMPORTANT question to ask: Is it too late to revise my character sheet? Just wondering based on how I was inactive but present at the session.

This has become a NONURGENT, NOT VITAL, and FAIRLY UNIMPORTANT question for me as well. Although I would still like to know.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: January 17, 2012, 02:47:48 am »

Shoruke has apparently gone to live the wild and free life with the orks...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: January 17, 2012, 01:16:27 pm »

Right. I am going to assume it is okay, because that is the sorta guy I am.

Not getting the +1 on my shield. Instead getting Boots of Longstrider (2k gold) They are technically a custom magic item, but they are a very simple use of the magic item pricing chart, and they have a fairly strong resemblance to the Boots of Striding and Springing. So I assume it is okay. Please tell me if that is not the case.

Also upgrading my Longsword to a masterwork longsword, for ease of enchantment latter and the +1 now.

Edit: I believe I also take the coveted title of "most likely to set off a floor plate" from Barba. Coming in at 340 pounds, 464 with gear.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 01:21:19 pm by Criptfeind »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: January 17, 2012, 08:03:54 pm »

Yes, shootandrun, you may join. Although last week's session had a somewhat ridiculous turnout  :P I might have to actually take down the "always recruiting" flag soon. In the meantime, we'd love to have you.

Sure, Araph, you can change your character sheet, since you didn't really get to do anything last session. I'll allow Crip to do it too... once. ('cause, new character...)

The half-fey template is okay.
The author's fix for shadowcasters is okay, with the exception of part 3. Within a path, you must learn the three mysteries in order.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in the day, RAM asked me to approve a schistton of spells from the SpC, and Girallon's Blessing was among those approved. So, to maintain consistency with myself, I suppose I have to let you use it. I suspect, with Maelrigar's ubertanky holyshitness, that I might have to take it away from you again, though.

No, template classes do not count towards feat or attribute increases, the same way that normal LA doesn't.

Definite no to Flash Step.
Whirlwind is fine.
Wind's Fury won't stack with Haste (or other effects that grant an extra attack), so... given that, why not just use Haste?

I suppose I'll allow Dimension Hop, but I'm adding a noncostly material component to it: A small strap of leather or cloth (or some such) that was once part of a shoe.

Experience: If we include the people who volunteered to start their adventuring careers inside a cage, there were 11 players for that session. WHOA. Instead of finding everyone's names and levels, I'll just post the experience that was earned for any character of a given level...
7: 700
6: 900
5: 1000
4: 1200
All the experience totals came out to a multiple of 100, despite my exp shenanigans? SO WEIRD.
Also, Criptfiend asked about the journals. After every session (that you attend), you may post a journal. As long as it's posted earlier than 20 minutes into the next session, it'll count for experience (which is weighted towards the lower-level members of the group, to help them catch up a bit more).

Loot (this... is gonna be messy)
-The entire inventories of Argentius and Steelwall
-a +1 Elf Bane longbow, with 60 masterwork arrows
-a +2 flaming shortsword
-the Eaglestriking Sword (+4 to hit if attacking the opponent from higher ground, or during a 10' or longer jump)(ability only activates once per jump if you're jumping)
-the Evershot Vambraces (you may shoot projectile weapons (but not thrown weapons) up to 20 range increments, but each increment after 10 imposes a cumulative -4 penalty instead of -2)
-a type II bag of holding
-the Burst Gauntlet (3/day, make a touch attack (not using your weapon) against an enemy; do 2d6 untyped damage on hit)(usable with multiple attacks per round from a high BAB, or haste-like extra attacks; you may alternate between the gauntlet's attack and a weapon's strike within the same Full Attack sequence)
-the EverIced greataxe (does an extra 1 cold damage on every hit; on confirmed criticals, skewers the target for an extra 1d10+5 cold damage)

Also, next session is at 11:00 PM GMT on Sunday. I work Saturday, starting 3 hours before the session and going until 4~5 hours past it. Basically Saturday is gonna be a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong day.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: January 17, 2012, 08:45:12 pm »

Wait, Haste grants an extra attack?

Hmm.

In that case... In that case, I feel rather silly, now don't I? Jeez, and Haste grants a bunch of other bonuses, and is a third level spell too.
Spoiler: Well, now. (click to show/hide)
Given Haste's all-encompassing superiority over the previous version, is that an acceptable spell instead?

My revised character sheet. It's a different link because I was redoing it before making sure I could, so I wanted to keep the other one just in case.

Almost finally, feat related question pending approval! Would it be possible to have these two feats
Spoiler: These Ones. (click to show/hide)
approved?

And finally, do we have any other wizards in our army?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:52:16 pm by Araph »
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 244