Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300193 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5- Western Marches (on (temporary?) hiatus)
« Reply #2760 on: October 21, 2011, 09:37:59 pm »

I'm thinking of playing a werewizard. Starting at level 4, with the natural lycanthrope LA 3 and 1 level of wizard, I could switch between some sort of combat-oriented animal and utilitarian caster. I wouldn't be that great at combat, and I'd be set back with wizarding, but I think it'd be fun to play.

Ok, I got it: a melee werewizard with nature-oriented spells who considers himself a ranger. Also, he plays guitar just because. BAM! Five classes in one! Only without most of the bonuses!

EDIT: Gah, I can't find the answer to this anywhere: Do I get skill points for the levels lost to LA?

EDITUS SECONDUS: If I take the physical stats of the animal my alternate form is, do they ever change as they would when I'm getting to higher levels?

EDITUS TRIUS: Ah, I see. Physical abilities are increased by the creature's modifiers. Does that mean the stats themselves are increased, or is it the modifiers are increased?

EDITUS QUATRUS: Um... So... I get three levels worth of animal and one of wizard, with skills as if those were both player classes. But when it says that the animal's Hit Die affect saving throws and BAB, where exactly would I find those? I can't find the correct numbers in the animal descriptions.

EL FIFTH EDIT-O:
Quote from: d20.org
Any racial skill adjustments of the lycanthrope’s base race and its animal form (but not conditional adjustments) are added to its skill modifiers in any form.
A lycanthrope adds skill points for its animal Hit Dice much as if it had multiclassed into the animal type. It gains skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die of the animal form.
Does this mean that I get both the skill points from the LA levels as well as the animal's skill bonuses?

LE SIXTH EDIT: If I were to take both the Silent Spell and Still Spell feats, would I be able to cast spells in my animal form? Or is that banned in the same vein as Natural Spell? Baguette.

SIEBTEN BEARBEITEN: What animal does everyone think I should be a were of?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:59:26 pm by Araph »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: October 22, 2011, 12:15:03 am »

I'm thinking of playing a werewizard. Starting at level 4, with the natural lycanthrope LA 3 and 1 level of wizard, I could switch between some sort of combat-oriented animal and utilitarian caster. I wouldn't be that great at combat, and I'd be set back with wizarding, but I think it'd be fun to play.

Ok, I got it: a melee werewizard with nature-oriented spells who considers himself a ranger. Also, he plays guitar just because. BAM! Five classes in one! Only without most of the bonuses!

EDIT: Gah, I can't find the answer to this anywhere: Do I get skill points for the levels lost to LA?

EDITUS SECONDUS: If I take the physical stats of the animal my alternate form is, do they ever change as they would when I'm getting to higher levels?

EDITUS TRIUS: Ah, I see. Physical abilities are increased by the creature's modifiers. Does that mean the stats themselves are increased, or is it the modifiers are increased?

EDITUS QUATRUS: Um... So... I get three levels worth of animal and one of wizard, with skills as if those were both player classes. But when it says that the animal's Hit Die affect saving throws and BAB, where exactly would I find those? I can't find the correct numbers in the animal descriptions.

EL FIFTH EDIT-O:
Any racial skill adjustments of the lycanthrope’s base race and its animal form (but not conditional adjustments) are added to its skill modifiers in any form.
A lycanthrope adds skill points for its animal Hit Dice much as if it had multiclassed into the animal type. It gains skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die of the animal form.
Does this mean that I get both the skill points from the LA levels as well as the animal's skill bonuses?

LE SIXTH EDIT: If I were to take both the Silent Spell and Still Spell feats, would I be able to cast spells in my animal form? Or is that banned in the same vein as Natural Spell? Baguette.

Alright. I'll slowly fill in the blanks on this one as I go with edits.
1. You never get skill points from level adjustments.
2. No. Ability modifiers are set in stone after character creation. No one gets +2 to an ability at level 4 ever.
3. Your abilities are increased/decreased by the ability modifiers of that creature. A cat for example has (Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7) so the modifiers when in a werecat/cat form are (-4 Str, +2 Dex, -4 Int, +1 Wis). Can't recommend cats.
4. Animals have good advancement on Fort/Ref saves and poor advancement on Will saves. They also have medium BAB.
5. You start with 6*(2+Int) as a level 1 wizard with that race. No skill points for the LA.
6. This adds a spell level modifier and would make it harder to cast in animal form.
7. Badger. Badger. Badger. (Modifiers are pretty good for a level 1 animal)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:56:30 am by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: October 22, 2011, 12:27:47 am »

Wereshark!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: October 22, 2011, 02:06:06 am »

You add level adjustment to animal hit dice to find out how worthless your character is. So a level adjustment of three combined with an animal hat has three hit dice would mean that you were six levels worth of worthless, or as bad as a level one character in a level seven party...

Bats have some interesting abilities and insectivorous bats should be predatory.
Dire rats are decent...
Baboons are quite humaonid, some D.M.s would let you get away with more as an animal if you are humanoid and completely ignore how capable things like ravens are... On the other hand, an infected lycanthrope might be less familiar, no, no, wait, lycanthropes are supernaturally familiar with their alternate form, it is part of the curse, to become mentally more like the animal than the humanoid or giant.
You could be a cat and spend your nights slaughtering townsfolk...
Eagles are good fliers.
Lizards balance well if you want to be a swash-buckler...
Owls are very stealthy, a were-owl arcane trickster might work...
Toads are amphibious, which is obviously the greatest ability ever, you should totally become a toad!
Weasels have attach, which could be interesting if you worked on your bite attack...

I am not sure if lycanthropes are affected by negative ability scores. It uses the term 'increased' a lot, which would suggest not, but the alternative is a bat waddling across the ground dragging a 5000 pound cart with its orcish 22 strength...

There is also a matter of alignment, which is basically up to the D.M. to assign as animals do not have alignments...

EL FIFTH EDIT-O:

Alright. I'll slowly fill in the blanks on this one as I go with edits.
1. You never get skill points from level adjustments.
2. No. Ability modifiers are set in stone after character creation. No one gets +2 to an ability at level 4 ever.
3. Your abilities are increased/decreased by the ability modifiers of that creature. A cat for example has (Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7) so the modifiers when in a werecat/cat form are (-4 Str, +2 Dex, -4 Int, +1 Wis). Can't recommend cats.
4. Animals have good advancement on Fort/Ref saves and poor advancement on Will saves. They also have medium BAB.
5. You start with 6*(2+Int) as a level 1 wizard with that race. No skill points for the LA.
6. This adds a spell level modifier and would make it harder to cast in animal form.
7. Badger. Badger. Badger. (Modifiers are pretty good for a level 1 animal)
2: there are some inherited templates and such. The relevant point though is that classes and racial hit dice(but not level adjustment) stack for the purposes of determining your feats and ability increases, a level three wizard were-rat gains +1 to one of their ability scores for being fourth(three wizard plus one rat) level, they do not gain one at their fourth wizard level because they already got their first one a level earlier...
3a: Lycathropy does not appear to affect intelligence and charisma and appears to add a fixed +2 to wisdom. There is also room to debate as to whether or not negative ability scores come into play.
3b: With 3 attacks and some nice skills a were-cat could make a decent rogue...
4: animals have variable good saves, it is generally fortitude and reflex, but dire animals are good on all three base saves. You basically need to calculate the animal's base saves from scratch to figure out their base saves. See animal. It is the same as a normal class with respect to nothing carrying over between classes...
5: Take wizard at first level, then take animal levels until you run out of animal hit dice that you need to take. The animal's class skill list is only what is listed in their skills entry, So a badger only gets balance, escape artist, listen, and spot. But they can take cross class skills just as any other class can... You then add your level adjustment onto that to see what level you count as. A natural lycanthrope has a level adjustment of +3, so with a one hit die animal you would have one class level, one animal level, and a +3 adjustment making you an effective 5th level character. I am far from certain, but I do not believe that the campaign is currently accepting fifth level characters...
6: I believe that druids are allowed to take silent and still and cast as bears, but those feats have drawbacks...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: October 22, 2011, 12:15:10 pm »

Oh, wow. Lycanthropy sounds terrible now. I didn't know that the LA and animal levels were separate. I'll have to rethink this...

How is anyone supposed to play a lycanthrope without it sucking?

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: October 22, 2011, 12:23:36 pm »

Maybe a template class would help you with this. Here are Werewolf, Weretiger and Werebear. With these, you could have a lower LA and still by Lycanthrope.

Of course, Shoruke would need to approve it first.

Edit: I think these also don't give any Skill points and HD, just so you know.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:27:50 pm by Theoboldi »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: October 22, 2011, 12:42:18 pm »

Cool, so it's like I can multiclass into werewolfism without the LA? That is, I could take a level of wizard, one level of werewolf, and the two remaining levels would be the wolf forms Hit Die?

No, wait. They put levels of wolf and dire wolf there, too. Interesting.

So I could be a level 4 werewizard with 1 level of wizard, 1 level of lycanthrope, and 2 levels of dire wolf; skill points wise, I would get points for the dire wolf levels (according to the table in the werewolf page) and wizard levels, and one point extra each level due to being human. Whenever I level into lycanthrope, I don't get any skill points, though. Did I get that right?

Wereshark!

Hmm... not enough water around here. Of course, that doesn't rule out a WERELANDSHARK!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:53:35 pm by Araph »

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: October 22, 2011, 12:50:22 pm »

You can multiclass into being a werewolf, but I don't know if the wolf form give's you extras HD. The template class itself doesn't give any HD. Although, you can take levels in the wolf class on the bottom of the page to get the wolf HD as far as I understand.

Edit: Ninjad. I think you got it right. You also won't get any extra skill points from being human if you take a template class level.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:52:31 pm by Theoboldi »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: October 22, 2011, 12:56:04 pm »

You also won't get any extra skill points from being human if you take a template class level.

Darn. Where does it say that?

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: October 22, 2011, 12:57:27 pm »

You just don't get any skill points at all from the template levels. I'm pretty sure that also includes bonus ones.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: October 22, 2011, 01:06:57 pm »

You get skill points from the levels of wolf you take:
Class Level Hit Dice    Base Attack Bonus    Fort. Save    Ref. Save    Will Save    Skill Points     Special
1st           1d8            +0                            +2            +2            +2              2 + Int mod.    Str +2, Con +2, natural armor +2, wolf abilities, bite

But you don't get any from the levels of lycanthrope. With the wolf and wizard levels, I would still get the bonus points, right?

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: October 22, 2011, 01:09:56 pm »

That's correct. Only the Werewolf levels get none.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: October 22, 2011, 01:11:55 pm »

Ok, I had misinterpreted
You also won't get any extra skill points from being human if you take a template class level.
as meaning that taking a level in a template meant that all the other bonus skill points were lost. My bad.

Quote from: RAM
6: I believe that druids are allowed to take silent and still and cast as bears, but those feats have drawbacks...
What sort of drawbacks? I thought they just made you have to use a higher level spell slot.

EDIT: If the first level of lycanthrope grants +2 natural armor, and the first level of dire wolf grants +2 natural armor, does that mean I get +4 total? Or is it only +2?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 02:13:37 pm by Araph »

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: October 22, 2011, 02:25:05 pm »

It's cumulative, but you only get the natural Armor from the dire Wolf Class when you're in wolf form.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: October 22, 2011, 02:56:42 pm »

Ok, thanks for all the help! And also for pointing me toward the template classes!

So! Is this accurate so far assuming Shoruke approves the template class thing?

Speaking of which, do you approve of the template class thing, Shoruke?
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 244