Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300385 times)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (next game Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #2520 on: August 26, 2011, 08:56:16 am »

I have Saturdays booked off already at work, so I can't guarantee anything. If it is a Monday I think I should be fine. Shifts on Mondays seem to be more rare.

I think that reducing an items cost to create by limiting the number of possible users is just plain broken. Maybe if it took a long time to make? It needs something to balance it, because no user is planning on being polymorphed anytime soon.

@Haika: Shoruke may want to lift the ban on psionics now that he is in another campaign that is psionic focused. If that is the case then reviving an ancient kind of magic would work as a quest. As for multiclassing a druid I wouldn't recommend it normally, because it is a strong core class. When multiclassing look for classes that work together. In this case there is the druid/ranger multiclass if you want to keep effective dinos, but your magic will be seriously impaired. I'll see if I can find a melee/magic prestige class that fits your character and works with druids. I'll be back.

EDIT: I'll make a list here, but if there is a post I'll move the list when it is done. If you want more info before you get another book just ask. Some classes are a lengthy read, so I can't just make a stat block. Here is what I have so far:

Spoiler: Prestige (click to show/hide)

I think I am going to make an AC momster again as a back-up. I found something that would help me pass Van in AC quickly. Sadly swordsage AC bonuses require armor, while monk AC bonuses forbid it.

Spoiler: AC build (click to show/hide)

@Haika: If you want to fix your knife thrower take a look at a Rogue/Master Thrower (Complete Warrior) combo. Sneak attacks from a distance and more. The entry requirements would be the only problem. +5 BAB is harder to meet as just a rogue, so a Rogue/Swashbuckler/Master Thrower would work better.
@Barbarossa: I think that the warforged in RoE, p.163 could be an awesome character portrait. Especially with that hat.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 02:02:24 pm by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: August 26, 2011, 11:04:43 am »

My reasoning behind thinking about adding a Barbarian level or two, was because when reading the stuff about druids in the plain old normal handbook they talked about druids and barbarians having a similar nature-based religion thing. I'll probably end up as just a druid, or a druid/ranger.

But yeah, still wondering about the psionic stuff that is somewhat poking it's head out with my gear. (mostly the shapesand, as that stuff looks awesome)
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: August 26, 2011, 11:24:34 am »

Just because it has a semi-psionic feel doesn't mean that it's actually psionic. Once it gets into power points, yeah, that's doubtless, but shapesand isn't psionic.

Isn't alignment also an allowed restriction? There's some standard wondrous items that are alignment-restricted.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: August 26, 2011, 12:55:21 pm »

Hmm. Yup, you can use alignment as a restriction to make your stuff cost less to make.
Oh, but did I mention that when you make restricted items, the resale value will take a major hit? Context sensitive, of course; for instance, there's more orcs by far in Rivershire than there are in Eriden. However, if it's an item you intent to keep pretty much forever, then this still works to your obvious advantage.

As for psionics, I'm still dubious about them. Although, perhaps after a couple weeks of Red's game, I'll be more familiar with the mechanics of it, and I can engineer a quest to unlock the secret powers of the MIIIIIND! If you guys want.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: August 26, 2011, 01:24:05 pm »

Hmm. Yup, you can use alignment as a restriction to make your stuff cost less to make.
Oh, but did I mention that when you make restricted items, the resale value will take a major hit? Context sensitive, of course; for instance, there's more orcs by far in Rivershire than there are in Eriden. However, if it's an item you intent to keep pretty much forever, then this still works to your obvious advantage.

As for psionics, I'm still dubious about them. Although, perhaps after a couple weeks of Red's game, I'll be more familiar with the mechanics of it, and I can engineer a quest to unlock the secret powers of the MIIIIIND! If you guys want.
The main problem of psionics is that, with them being non-core, manipulative players can use lack of DM knowledge about their limitations (which they do have) to shatter a campaign to pieces. Several of the powers are more versatile than the most equivalent spell (Animal Affinity comes to mind; it's any of the +4 competence bonuses in a single power, though it's limited to Egoists), though they might be limited to one discipline. I like the psion specialization more than wizard; rather than give the powerful guy even more slots at limited cost (Diviners barring Evocation, cough), it just puts one or two extra powers per level on your list.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: August 26, 2011, 01:27:46 pm »

For the purposes of the AC build I'd be up for a psionic quest.

I just read of what D&D considers cold weather, and it is laughable. Below 40 degrees Fahrenheit is nothing. At least extreme cold is at -20 Fahrenheit, which is roughly what it is in the Canadian prairies every winter, and that is cold.

@Haika: Instead of taking a level in barbarian you can take a level in Animal Lord, which stacks with your druid levels for things. You'd keep that feeling that a barbarian would give without hurting your animal companion level. Sorry for stacking the number of books you'd have if you pick this.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: August 26, 2011, 01:39:33 pm »

@Haika: Instead of taking a level in barbarian you can take a level in Animal Lord, which stacks with your druid levels for things. You'd keep that feeling that a barbarian would give without hurting your animal companion level. Sorry for stacking the number of books you'd have if you pick this.

Well, I've already downloaded a bunch of pdfs, one more can't hurt I suppose. What book is Animal Lord from?

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: August 26, 2011, 01:45:34 pm »

@Haika: Complete Adventurer. It is one of the most useful books for prestige classes if you happen to be a druid.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: August 26, 2011, 02:20:12 pm »

Hmm, looking over Animal Lord I don't see much there. Beastmaster seems better to me actually. Allowing for multiple animal companions.

Animal lord would take quite a bit of homebrewing and fudging to get it to the point where I thought it was sufficently 'desert' to fit with this concept I'm working on. Snakelord or Birdlord maybe... but there's no 'dinolord' or 'scorplord' or 'sandlord' heh.

What I'll probably end up doing is making a full druid to level 4(the intro start thing), and then see how that works out using the shapesand, desert tweaks and such, then decide if I need to add in any melee or ranged prestige classes when I level up.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: August 26, 2011, 02:43:46 pm »

If you do go the path of the Beastmaster we are going to have SO MANY ANIMALS. Could be fun.  ;) I suppose it would even let you desert theme it yourself with dinosaurs, ashworms, and monstrous scorpions.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: August 26, 2011, 03:09:09 pm »

Just a fair word of Warning, it was an Ashworm that almost killed Stihe. She'll probably react in unpredictable ways around them.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: August 26, 2011, 03:13:14 pm »

If you do go the path of the Beastmaster we are going to have SO MANY ANIMALS. Could be fun.  ;) I suppose it would even let you desert theme it yourself with dinosaurs, ashworms, and monstrous scorpions.
Probably won't happen though.

EDIT: While I finished an AC build I think that AC becomes a little redundant by the time he would be broken. However I did find out that by level 9 I could deal 2d10 unarmed damage, and that fists count as light weapons for TWF. Fun facts. Based on this I think I want to make an Anderson-esque TWF monk/paladin. Killing... for great justice.

And Vow of Poverty isn't going to be used. Handwraps of Defending might be used if the DM is alright with it. It would still be considered a +1 enchantment effect on a +2 item though. Should add +5 AC if I recall seeing that correctly. I'll provide a page number after work.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 04:27:23 pm by The Fool »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: August 26, 2011, 09:39:08 pm »

The barbarian's favourite trick is rage. There is a feat called extra rage that grants two extra rages. There is another feat somewhere, I think, that lets you ignore up to... probably 4 levels for determining your animal companion. There is another feat, which I believe will work for divine casters, that lets them ignore up to 4 levels in other classes with respect to caster-level, though it does nothing for spell-level...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: August 26, 2011, 10:39:49 pm »

Ok, ready to start rolling this guy. Are we still at starting Level 3, and 2700g? Or has that increased?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: August 26, 2011, 11:13:37 pm »

If I give my fire beetles ride and mounted combat, can I summon them in stacks?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 244