Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 299851 times)

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (next game on July 30) (always recruiting)
« Reply #2160 on: July 18, 2011, 02:21:23 pm »

Shoruke, I have a little question concerning my next skeletal minion.
In the SRD it states that the first skeleton gets the stats of a human warrior skeleton. Does this apply to the next one too, or will that one get the attributes that the corpse had in life?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (game on Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #2161 on: July 18, 2011, 08:42:43 pm »

I am short-listing my feat to:
 Divine metamagic(rapid)
  I could, at present, use it only once per day, but it is a neat trick...

Domain spontaneity(D.S.)(travel)
  3 times per day I can trade in a prepared spell for one from the travel domain, which is very nice, with 6 spells that are not on the cleric list and one that is a level lower than on the cleric list. being able to grab a bunch of fly or teleport spells out-of-the-blue, and having locate object and find the path on-hand without preparation would definately be nice.

D.S.(Oracle)
  Identify, augury, divination, scrying, commune, legend lore, greater scrying, discern location, foresight. This would let me get information on just about anything at just about any time...
    These sorts of spells are the type of thing that one would generally rather not memorise in advance of needing them...

D.S.(knowledge)
  Detect thoughts, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, and True Seeing are all nice alternatives to Oracle, but I would feel the abscence of identify, scrying, and commune...

Improved initiative
  Better than it sounds, if I can drop the tasty treat down before the tyrannosaurus rex reaches the bard, then there will be much rejoicing, or not...

Craft wondrous item
  I just noticed that Pearls of power are CL17, I can't dig up the rules that living greyhawk used, which were some sort of gradiated affair, but the F.A.Q. states that you can make stuff anyway...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I know someone else apparently needs the feat for a class, but unless we can work out some sort of xp trading scheme it would really strain someone to meet the needs of the whole party. I alone would want, say, 20 odd pearls of power, +6 wisdom amulet, cloak of charisma, type 4 bag, heward's haversack, vest of resistance, maybe some tomes...

I am currently leaning towards spontaneous travel...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: July 18, 2011, 11:37:03 pm »

So where exactly did we put that purple orb that Mael found in Ibaea? My character is suppose to be out to solve the mysteries of the orb, and I won't be here for the session in a week and a half. I was thinking that Rush could start on the investigation on the orb. However I don't see it in either the party, Mysteller, or Mael's inventories, and I don't remember it being destroyed. Anyone recall?

And I'll post a journal tomorrow.

EDIT: According to the journals Maelrigar should still have the orb with him. Any chance Rush can borrow it? I'm thinking I may be able to invent a planar warpdrive for the ship while I'm at it. That would be awesome. I'd even give up EXP for such an awesome ship feature. It might take a total of twenty minutes to return to Rivershire if it works like Shadow Walk.

Anyways here is my journal:

Spoiler: The Calling (click to show/hide)

EDIT2: Maybe I should say who Ellyvore is... (derp) It's what I named Rush's wife. Because referring to someone without a name is awkward.

EDIT3: Fix'd the name mix-up.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 07:22:53 pm by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: July 20, 2011, 12:55:33 am »

As we walked Raspul and Stihe talked of magical studies. It appears that Raspul is seeking immortality; the notes that he gathers will be immensely informative for me as I have yet to study necromancy at all. Stihe didn’t seem to mind Raspul’s goal. She seems to bear a scientific mind; perhaps she could assist me with the investigation into the orb if I reach an impasse.
Wait what?
No. You got your people wrong.

Stihe is not a scientific minded type. That was Kimko talking to Raspul. Stihe is a thieving type. Sister of Andre. The Clearwaters are the only other short ones, should be easy to remember.

;)
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: July 20, 2011, 08:39:35 pm »

What does everyone think about a shadow powered hyperdrive for the ship? I think that if nothing else it sounds awesome. Would it be worth the cost if I commissioned the hyperdrive if I'm successful? I mean in the long run since I would rather increase my spell DC first using most of my personal funds.

Hopefully I find more useful illusions than the image and colour spray spells, because other than delaying enemies I can't do much against monsters. While I'm on the topic I found the Phantasmal Assailants spell in Complete Arcane on page 117 with 4 Dex and 4 Wis damage. Any chance of getting that?

Since I just found more illusion spells that weren't in the Spell Compendium I'll be posting more spells to be approved later.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: July 20, 2011, 08:46:31 pm »

Homebrew spells sounds...fun. Does anyone have any guidelines for creating those sort of things?

Also, I was bored and thinking of backup characters.

Centaur Monk is currently in the lead, but he's about to meet a flight of stairs...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: July 20, 2011, 09:52:02 pm »

If you really want you can make homebrew spells. All that is really needed is for the spell to be balanced. You can't optimize a spell without drawbacks, either expensive casting materials, easy saves to reduce harsh damage, or a lesser effect that is impossible to miss are generally the standard. Use other spells as reference to of what kind of damage or effects you should be doing at that spell level.

If you're going for something unique then just wait for DM permission and modify it as you go. Actually, that goes for all homebrew spells. Post and modify until it's OK'd.

EDIT: Found a broken spell. In the BoVD there is a 2nd level spell that deals 2d20 damage to all non-demons within spell range. That's a lot for a large area.

EDIT2: Here are the illusion spells that I found. I'll keep the descriptions short since there are 8 of them and they will need to be looked at to be approved anyways.

Spoiler: MAGIC! (click to show/hide)

EDIT3: I've updated my character sheet so I have the right number of spells. I just realized that with the level 1 features I picked I don't need to make magic sets since I'm only using illusions, which have Spell Mastery. I need one more level 1 spell. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:45:18 am by The Fool »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: July 21, 2011, 06:56:33 am »

Here are some of mine that I like. They aren't illusions, really.

Fist of Stone: +6 strength and a slam attack. The drawback is that it only works for you.
Geyser: A ray of water dealing 2d6+1d6/2 levels in nonlethal damage with no save, but if they fail a reflex save they're knocked prone.
Lesser Orb of Electricity: RTA to inflict 1d8 damage per two levels, but there's no save on it.
Bladeweave: Every round it's in effect, you get a free touch attack to daze your enemy, though will negates it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: July 21, 2011, 09:40:13 am »

Mael, thanks for the suggestions. I'll take fist of stone. While I may not be able to use it my familiar can. Plus I'll be looking into a replacement familiar soon. The other RTA spells have little value to me since I treated dex as a dump stat.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: July 21, 2011, 10:53:29 am »

It'd be nice for a list of all our custom spells in a central location. Both for Shoruke when he has to deal with it, and for others who want to use them. I've got a pair of first level spells I get at my next level, but only from some limited schools, and it might be fun to use some of the homebrews we have.

Anyway, here's a Homebrew I cobbled together...

Spoiler: Trade Image (click to show/hide)

This is a disguise self spell with some limitations. First it doesn't have the ability to completely change clothing. Second it is limited to a real person who can be recognizable. Third it requires the opposite person to remain in good health. Fourth it requires you have to be in the same city as the other person. Fifth it has an active element that can be used to ruin it.
In exchange for these, you have an extra 50 minutes per caster level that it is effective.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: July 21, 2011, 11:10:07 am »

Here are some of mine that I like. They aren't illusions, really.

Fist of Stone: +6 strength and a slam attack. The drawback is that it only works for you.
Geyser: A ray of water dealing 2d6+1d6/2 levels in nonlethal damage with no save, but if they fail a reflex save they're knocked prone.
Lesser Orb of Electricity: RTA to inflict 1d8 damage per two levels, but there's no save on it.
Bladeweave: Every round it's in effect, you get a free touch attack to daze your enemy, though will negates it.

I like the creativity, and I want you to know I'm not nitpicking, but just on a general note,

Fist: The STR bonus doesn't stack with Bull STR does it? Can you do anything else with your stony fist or it is just a club now?
Geyser: This is a creative solution to Wizard not having Create Water. Note that no-save stuff really should be high level.
LOoE: Again, no save is problematic.
Blade: Extra actions are rare. Does this stack with Haste? Can you touch with your sword or just your hand?

That's not to say they're bad. I mean, Forcecage is level 7 after all.

If Fist made you unable to use that hand for delicate things, I'd call it 3rd. Or, 4th if you can use it.
Geyser would be 5th. Lower damage than Lightning Bolt, but no save, also knockdown and free water.
Orb would be 1st or maybe 2nd. It does slightly higher damage than Magic Missile but you have to roll to hit which bites.
Blade: 2nd probably. It's an extra attack, which is sort of like a poor man's haste, but the attack just dazes which limits the loopholes. It should probably not stack with Haste at all, even if it would be higher level.

Of course a lot depends on the duration and area of effect. If Geyser has twice the area of Lightning Bolt, it should be higher level. Likewise if Bladeweave lasts twice as long as Haste you might want to make it 3rd.

I'd suggest making Bladeweave give a low-DC daze effect on every physical melee attack, rather than giving an extra attack. Also suggest giving Fist of Stone just a base damage different from normal punch attack (maybe say you get to roll damage twice and take the better result) rather than STR bonus. I'm thinking it makes sense that the fist dude should hit hard, but why would a stone fist help you lift a big treasure chest? Finally, Geyser should be able to pick up water from an adjacent container like a lake. This way Geyser can also be used as a utility spell for pumping water. But if it does, the force is halved and duration is 1 round per level, and if you move away from the water source the spell ends.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: July 21, 2011, 11:29:40 am »

...Those spells already exist. I've used them all in a session before.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: July 21, 2011, 12:11:17 pm »

I'm thinking of switching my standard buff layout from Divine Favour, Eagle’s Splendor and Detect Thoughts to Eagle’s Splendor, Bless and Produce Flame. Bless gives everyone in the party +1 to attack rolls and saves vs. fear, and Produce Flame gives me an attack option that doesn't involve hitting everything in an AoE.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: July 21, 2011, 12:50:50 pm »

Yeah, I was doing pretty good with produce flames last session, I think.

-Experimental Spell Idea-
My first idea is a copy paste, obviously of Produce Flame, like Greks idea. This would fit into my hopeful future Stormcaster class very well. It's about half damage plus a little more, require verbal component only, is level 2 and has two different damage types. So, does it fit?

Produce Lightning
Evocation [Sonic, Electricity]
Level: Druid 2
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: A Sphere of Crackling Green Lightning in your palm
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Balls of green lightning appears in your open hand, audibly crackling. The ball harms neither you nor your equipment.

You can strike an opponent with a melee touch attack, dealing sonic damage equal to 1d3 and electricity damage equal to 1d3 point per caster level, increasing by +1 Sonic and Electrical damage every two caster levels (maximum +5). Alternatively, you can hurl the lightning ball up to 120 feet as a thrown weapon. When doing so, you attack with a ranged touch attack (with no range penalty) and deal the same damage as with the melee attack. No sooner do you hurl the ball than a new set appears in your hand. Each attack you make reduces the remaining duration by 1 minute. If an attack reduces the remaining duration to 0 minutes or less, the spell ends after the attack resolves.

Material Component: The blackened splinter of a tree struck naturally by Lightning

Edited with help from Grek and Fool
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:23:32 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: July 21, 2011, 03:08:09 pm »

It does a mean of 4 +2 per caster level (capped at 14) compared to 3.5 +1 per caster level (capped at 8.5). But it's also one spell level higher and competing with Heal/Chill Metal (8d4 damage over 7 rounds) or Flame Sphere (2d6 per caster level, requires move action to sustain) which is fair.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 244