Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300643 times)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (game on Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #2025 on: July 06, 2011, 01:55:31 pm »

You have 3 Hit Dice. Your race gives 1, Barbarian Class level 1 gives 1, and Barbarian Class level 2 gives 1. That is a total of 3 hit dice.

Your total attack bonus for your sword is gonna be 8+1 for 9. Your melee bonus is 8, the sword's enchantment is 1. That will only apply for a single attack. When you do a double attack your bonus will be -2 for each attack, so for two weapon fighting, it's 7.
That requires a full round attack though, so you will need to know both the 9 and the 7.

(Edit: Also, your strength adds bonus damage. So it's 1d8+5/1d8+5)

Ah alright I see how the dice works then.

My total attack bonus is 8+1 for 9, I have 2 base attack bonus, 5 from strength, and 1 for the enchantment, is the base attack bonus supposed to be 3?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: July 06, 2011, 02:05:22 pm »

Nope. You should have +2 at level 2. You have a misc mod of 1, which I don't know where it comes from. I assumed you had something going on. You should remove that if you have nothing there.

Also, I got your damage rolls wrong. The 2nd 1d8 should be half the strength bonus, so it should be 1d8+5/1d8+2. You get a 1d8+7 if you attack with it like a two handed weapon.
Make (Edit: ^Sure) Shoruke agrees to allowing you the equipment also, since the +1 Magic Double-sword alone is worth 2700.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:12:23 pm by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: July 06, 2011, 02:46:07 pm »

Nope. You should have +2 at level 2. You have a misc mod of 1, which I don't know where it comes from. I assumed you had something going on. You should remove that if you have nothing there.

Also, I got your damage rolls wrong. The 2nd 1d8 should be half the strength bonus, so it should be 1d8+5/1d8+2. You get a 1d8+7 if you attack with it like a two handed weapon.
Make (Edit: ^Sure) Shoruke agrees to allowing you the equipment also, since the +1 Magic Double-sword alone is worth 2700.)

Oh I put it there because of the enhancement.

And alright, also yeah I'm just waiting on allowment/further fixes. This is all pretty WIP to me, I'll do the desc and such once it's actually good to go.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: July 06, 2011, 03:28:25 pm »

Think I forgot to mention this in the last couple posts, you can steal spells from undeads etc. who are immune to sneak attack... but you still have to qualify to sneak attack them somehow, for instance by flanking.

As for the infinite metamagic trick, you won't be able to do that, since if you try you'll be raising effective spell levels above what you can cast. So yes, you can take (or be gifted) one of Maelrigar's level 1 electrical orb spells and then apply a few metamagic feats to it, but then you won't be able to cast the modified spell until you've got a few more Spellthief levels under your belt (you need to be level 12 to steal level 6 spells, so that's what you'd need to use an Empowered Maximized Lightning Orb).

If your friend gifts you a spell with a metamagic feat applied to it, he loses his ability to cast the base spell (and metamagic variants thereof) for 2 rounds.

For that flaw, I would increase the frequency to every 1d3 days. The other flaws bestow conditions which aren't as bad, but are always active, and this one even gives you a will save. Speaking of Will Saves, that's a rather easy will save to start with. I might just bump up the DC on that later if you pass it too many times.

Eschew Materials isn't a metamagic feat, it's a trick you learn that you use when you cast spells.

Vherid, for your hit points, do this...
1) Your first level was in Barbarian. Barbarian Hit Die size is d12, and you get maximum roll on your first die, so you start with 12 hitpoints.
2) Your second level is also in Barbarian. You may either roll a d12 during the session, or the average rounded up, which is 7.
3) You have the Heroic Durability feat. 10 more hp.
4) multiply your number of hit dice (that's 2) by your constitution modifier (that's 1). Add that in for 2 more hp.
Note that your racial hit die is substituted for a class level, and therefore not added to your hit points or your hit dice total. Level Adjustment does not add Hit Dice.

For a two-bladed sword, you need to pay 100 gp for the basic weapon, and after that you'll need to pay all costs twice; once for each side, since it basically counts as two weapons. It's 300 gp each for each masterwork side (this MUST be done when the weapon is made, you cannot 'upgrade' an item to be masterwork), and you'll need to enchant each side separately. 2700 gp will get you a two-bladed sword that has a +1 enhancement bonus on one side, and is masterwork (but not enchanted) on the other side.
When fighting with this weapon, you may either treat it as a single two-handed weapon, or two weapons (one one-handed, and one light weapon). The latter case involves using the Two-Weapon Fighting rules, and you'll want to take the appropriate feat. Two-Weapon Fighting without the appropriate feat is an exercise in futility. Using it like a single two-handed weapon allows you to use 1.5x your strength bonus on damage, and using it as two weapons lets you use 1.0x strength bonus for one side and 0.5x strength bonus for the second side.

In other news, Kogan needs a refresher on how Level Adjustments and Hit Dice work, because Vherid does NOT have 3 hit dice.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:35:31 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: July 06, 2011, 03:36:42 pm »

Vherid, for your hit points, do this...
1) Your first level was in Barbarian. Barbarian Hit Die size is d12, and you get maximum roll on your first die, so you start with 12 hitpoints.
2) Your second level is also in Barbarian. You may either roll a d12 during the session, or the average rounded up, which is 7.
3) You have the Heroic Durability feat. 10 more hp.
4) multiply your number of hit dice (that's 2) by your constitution modifier (that's 1). Add that in for 2 more hp.
Note that your racial hit die is substituted for a class level, and therefore not added to your hit points or your hit dice total. Level Adjustment does not add Hit Dice.

For a two-bladed sword, you need to pay 100 gp for the basic weapon, and after that you'll need to pay all costs twice; once for each side, since it basically counts as two weapons. It's 300 gp each for each masterwork side (this MUST be done when the weapon is made, you cannot 'upgrade' an item to be masterwork), and you'll need to enchant each side separately. 2700 gp will get you a two-bladed sword that has a +1 enhancement bonus on one side, and is masterwork (but not enchanted) on the other side.
When fighting with this weapon, you may either treat it as a single two-handed weapon, or two weapons (one one-handed, and one light weapon). The latter case involves using the Two-Weapon Fighting rules, and you'll want to take the appropriate feat. Two-Weapon Fighting without the appropriate feat is an exercise in futility. Using it like a single two-handed weapon allows you to use 1.5x your strength bonus on damage, and using it as two weapons lets you use 1.0x strength bonus for one side and 0.5x strength bonus for the second side.

In other news, Kogan needs a refresher on how Level Adjustments and Hit Dice work, because Vherid does NOT have 3 hit dice.

Yeah okay that's what I thought, 2. So 31 HP.

So I suppose I would have to just keep the sword master work for now and get it enchanted later?
Also does that +1 go into the damage, or does it affect the rating, as I have it now, which now doesnt make sense because of the halfnhalf.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:52:19 pm by Vherid »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: July 06, 2011, 04:09:43 pm »

First, there are basic weapons.
Then you have masterwork weapons, which are made better. They cost an additional 300 gp an give +1 to hit things.
To make a +1 weapon, you take a masterwork weapon and then put 2000 gp of magic on it. It then gets +1 to both attack and damage. This doesn't stack with the +1 to hit from being masterwork.
After that, you can either keep increasing the enhancement bonus, or put on other magic effects like having your sword be on fire.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: July 06, 2011, 04:39:07 pm »

First, there are basic weapons.
Then you have masterwork weapons, which are made better. They cost an additional 300 gp an give +1 to hit things.
To make a +1 weapon, you take a masterwork weapon and then put 2000 gp of magic on it. It then gets +1 to both attack and damage. This doesn't stack with the +1 to hit from being masterwork.
After that, you can either keep increasing the enhancement bonus, or put on other magic effects like having your sword be on fire.

I understand how the item works, I don't have enough money to get the enchant and such, so just for the masterwork, do I need to put the +1 to hit anywhere on the numbers part of the sheet?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: July 06, 2011, 04:47:29 pm »

Think I forgot to mention this in the last couple posts, you can steal spells from undeads etc. who are immune to sneak attack... but you still have to qualify to sneak attack them somehow, for instance by flanking.
As if they were not immune, right?

And that metamagic situation makes a lot more sense. It still gives me a little more beef than I expected, but I can't think of any outright abuses to it. It does encourage me to get Metamagic... Eventually. But there is much more valuable feats available to me.

For that flaw, I would increase the frequency to every 1d3 days. The other flaws bestow conditions which aren't as bad, but are always active, and this one even gives you a will save. Speaking of Will Saves, that's a rather easy will save to start with. I might just bump up the DC on that later if you pass it too many times.
Increasing the difficulty might be a good idea. The will save will never change much at it's current progression rate, because I gain 1 will save every level, and it only gets harder every 2 levels. Maybe DC10+ECL to start with, making me get some enhancements or get 10 or above on a D20 every time. Then we can do it a 1 in 2 chance every night, rather than a number of days. That ought to have that shaken status come out pretty regularly, and greatly vary my performance :) Without assistance, I should be shaken in that situation on average about 1 out of every 4-5 days, before any modifiers. I imagine seeing certain things would probably increase the chances of having nightmares or make the nightmares that much more vivid, which would greatly increase the rate of being shaken.

:) Yea, I suck. This is why I don't play LA characters :)

(Edit: Vherid, in the block with the weapon information is a spot labled "   Total Attack Bonus". This is where you take the "Total Attack Bonus" from directly above that is a combination of all the information, and then add to that any paticular details of the weapon. In this case, you add the +1 for the masterwork on it. So in that block you will have "8". You also might want to have the two weapon usage stats, so maybe make it like this: "8(6/6)". This is assuming each head is masterwork.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:52:57 pm by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: July 06, 2011, 04:54:16 pm »

Your +1 to hit from using a masterwork weapon should be included in the number you write down in the Total Attack Bonus space for that weapon.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: July 06, 2011, 04:55:54 pm »

Alright I put that there then, and made it +8, but where are the 6's coming from? Is that the -2 reduction for the two weapon damage?

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=310973

Is there anything else off/awry/wrong?

EDIT: I think to fill up some more money use, while saving the rest for whatever, I'm going to masterwork the breastplate as well, Now common sense tells me the reduction of 1 to the AC penalty would make it -3 instead of -4. However math logic tells me that would be -5 instead of -4. Does it go to 3 or 5?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:00:07 pm by Vherid »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: July 06, 2011, 05:02:32 pm »

3. It makes the penalty one less bad.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: July 06, 2011, 05:08:04 pm »

;)

Masterwork breastplate is a good choice. You also might want to look into maybe some simple magic items, or save your money for later.

(Edit: Your skills still look messed up. You have 7 ranks in intimidate, I think you should be capped at 5, although you do get bonuses that push that higher. I also think you are supposed to have 20 skill points, not 18.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:10:28 pm by Kogan Loloklam »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: July 06, 2011, 05:10:19 pm »

;)

Masterwork breastplate is a good choice. You also might want to look into maybe some simple magic items, or save your money for later.

Ok that certainly makes some things a lot clearer haha, and I think I might save for later, but what sort of simple magic items? Like smaller extra weapons or?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: July 06, 2011, 05:22:11 pm »

Like Bracers of armor +1.
I don't know exactly what might be useful, that's really up to you to find out. Wonderous items is a good place to look though.

Also, you need to take a look at your skill ranks. You have a cap of 4 Plus 1 for every level you gain. So at level 1 it's 4 skill rankss, at 2 it is 5. At 3 it's 6.
Your intimidate currently has 7 ranks in it. You are capped at 5. You also should have 20 skill points to spend, you have spent 18 so far.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: July 06, 2011, 05:27:15 pm »

Like Bracers of armor +1.
I don't know exactly what might be useful, that's really up to you to find out. Wonderous items is a good place to look though.

Also, you need to take a look at your skill ranks. You have a cap of 4 Plus 1 for every level you gain. So at level 1 it's 4 skill rankss, at 2 it is 5. At 3 it's 6.
Your intimidate currently has 7 ranks in it. You are capped at 5. You also should have 20 skill points to spend, you have spent 18 so far.

Actually I knew about that cap too and it slipped my mind thanks, but I have 18 because I spent the 2 for barb literacy.
EDIT: Those bracers seem fine, I'll get those and just save the rest then.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:30:58 pm by Vherid »
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 244